Advice on a new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice on a new amp

The pro reverb could be a winner, though I'd be most interested in a 1x12 version. Seems many of the older SF ones are all 2x12. 40w would be perfect too!

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
      Be my guest: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

As an example I entered 100db sensitivity, 20W amp, 3ft, and 1 speaker. The output is 113.8db, while changing to 2 speakers results in 116.8db. Going from 2 speakers to 4 results in 119.8db...

With given wattage and speaker sensitivity, it's simple math and the formulas don't lie or change. Doubling speaker count with a given wattage, distance, and sensitivity results in 3db more volume. Physics doesn't care if you agree or not.
      This part is correct.However, when you changed to multiple speakers, you neglected to adjust the wattage to the value that each speaker sees (which is 10 watts; then 5 watts) Has nothing to do with violation of laws of physics, but their MISAPPLICATION! Read the instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by AxlOz View Post
        The pro reverb could be a winner, though I'd be most interested in a 1x12 version. Seems many of the older SF ones are all 2x12. 40w would be perfect too!
        the modern 1x12 ones arent the same as the old blackface and silverface ones. the old bf 2x12 are damn near the perfect fender reverb amp for many things and this is from someone who has a bf deluxe reverb, has had a bf twin and still has a sf dual showman reverb. 6l6 + 2x12 = 40w of great tone

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
          This part is correct.However, when you changed to multiple speakers, you neglected to adjust the wattage to the value that each speaker sees (which is 10 watts; then 5 watts) Has nothing to do with violation of laws of physics, but their MISAPPLICATION! Read the instructions.
          I did a ton of extra research, and it turns out that 3db is a simplified fudge factor and possibly a bit of internet guitar lore, so I apologize for stating it as an absolute.

It turns out that the actual science of connecting multiple speakers is extremely complicated and depends on things like how the speakers are connected, the size and configuration of the cabinet, and how the amplifier's output stage responds to changing impedance. There's also an absolute limit to increased volume when the total area of all connected speakers starts to cause phase cancellation a certain frequencies.

I'll amend my earlier recommendation to state that (generally speaking) connecting an additional speaker in parallel will provide a few dbs of extra volume at the same wattage.

Another viable option (that always works) would be to replace the speaker in the Blues Jr. with something more efficient.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
            I did a ton of extra research, and it turns out that 3db is a simplified fudge factor and possibly a bit of internet guitar lore, so I apologize for stating it as an absolute.

It turns out that the actual science of connecting multiple speakers is extremely complicated and depends on things like how the speakers are connected, the size and configuration of the cabinet, and how the amplifier's output stage responds to changing impedance. There's also an absolute limit to increased volume when the total area of all connected speakers starts to cause phase cancellation a certain frequencies.

I'll amend my earlier recommendation to state that (generally speaking) connecting an additional speaker in parallel will provide a few dbs of extra volume at the same wattage.

Another viable option (that always works) would be to replace the speaker in the Blues Jr. with something more efficient.
            Yes, the internet lore makes people believe what is not fact. One of the highest laws of physics is The Conservation of Energy. If there is only one active (energy generating) component, i.e. the amp (@ 20 watts), the passive components (speakers) cannot create additional energy (assuming the same efficiency). They convert electrical energy to sound energy. If each gets half of the electrical energy, each produces half of the sound energy.

Yes, adding additional speakers is extremely complex, so we say "all other things being equal", but that's near impossible to achieve. Multiple speakers will yield increased dispersion, giving a genuine sensation of increased volume, but there can be NO real increase....None.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
              Yes, adding additional speakers is extremely complex, so we say "all other things being equal", but that's near impossible to achieve. Multiple speakers will yield increased dispersion, giving a genuine sensation of increased volume, but there can be NO real increase....None.
              The reason that multiple speakers seem louder is because increasing driver surface area results in an increase in net efficiency for the system. You're correct that you can't create energy out of nowhere, but an increase in efficiency allows a given amount of electrical energy to be converted into more sound energy.

In my research I also saw mentions of series vs parallel wiring making a difference as parallel wiring won't experience voltage drop and the resulting signal loss. I'm not an EE, so I don't really understand how halving voltage vs. amperage would make a difference but it apparently does.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Update!
                So I've found something that I was not expecting would tick the box for me, but it may be a great outcome - a Supro Supreme!

Its a 1x10 combo, 25w, 6v6 based with really basic controls.

I tried it at rehearsal last night and it just killed! They sound a bit 'normal' at low volume, but I had the volumes (plural - it has 2 channels that cascade or something like that) running at about 7 and it just came to life and sounded amazing. Very clear and articulate, but with just enough crunchy breakup.
                The real interesting thing is how well it handled low end. I was expecting a weaker bass response due to the 10" speaker and smaller cabinet size but it sounded fatter than other 2x12's I've played, and much fatter than my Blues Jr. Thick and articulate with super sweet fender-esque mids and highs. No reverb though, but I rarely use that in a live setting, most venues add enough naturally.

I'll try it again at next rehearsal and see how she fares for round 2.

Comment

Supro has been coming out with nice amps lately. They aren't the cheapies that were talked about years ago. They are nice, pro amps these days.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah I was very impressed to say the least. It was also dead quiet at idle.. Felt very high quality.

Comment

Supro is not an amp I think about regularly–sorta hard to find.

But man they do sound awesome!

Comment

The new Hot Rod Deluxe IV is awesome. Been using it for gigging lately and probably won't look back to other amps.
                        My guitar blog: GuitarGeary.com

Comment

Yeah they do sound great. I love that most default backlines here in Australia are always a Fender HR deluxe or deville. Makes working various venues nice and easy.

I tried a Vox AC30 in our session last week. Had lots of nice treble tones, and the dirty tones were quite good, but it lost definition a bit too easily when I used a slide. The Fender and Supro amps I've tried have retained some nice gritty clarity with my hack slide playing. I think the Vox vibe is just smoother through those notes/frequencies so it mellows out.

I'm planning to try a JCM800 in our next session, but I'm still also planning to hit the Supro up again.

Comment

I've wanted to like Vox but they just don't jive for me. Fender amps are my comfort zone.

Supro amps are killer though...the more I play the more I really love what I hear.

Comment

Anyone looking for a great amp, should look at the Blackstar Venue series. Hopefully going to put up a video review of the one I have one of these days. Beautiful sparkling cleans all the way to metal gain if wanted. And everything in between.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                                Please ask your friend to sell me his Sunn.
                                There's one on The Gear Page classifieds.
                                "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Working...
                                X