Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I Can Haz Hearing Aid?

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
    Just thought I might also point out I am a qualified audio engineer with a decent studio (for tracking, editing and even mastering) at my disposal.
    Our vocalist appears!!! LOL!!!

How’re you doing???

Yeh listen up: I got no problem at all if it is decided that somebody better qualified and kitted out than I does the stitching together and the mixing and mastering.

But if the above be the case then all I do ask is that the same audio and video is made available to me so that I can do my own production of this if for no other reason than the experience.

And one other point that I believe needs to be made is this: everyone concerned to be allowed to critique whatever is done so that it can be corrected or finessed if necessary and without the individual concerned taking offense and realizing that it’s for the common good of the project. In other words: if something looks or sounds like sh*t then it is noted and discussed and corrected and such criticism is taken and accepted in the spirit that it is given. There is no point in ending up with a bunch of lousy clips that are simply accepted and praised for fear of upsetting the contributor. It helps nobody concerned: not the individual and certainly not the project as a whole.
    Last edited by dpaterson; 02-23-2019, 12:03 AM.

Comment

second yngwie solo semi-ready, much harder than I thought, just because it's slower does not mean it is easy. Also I got two passes of the whole clean/rhythm part without major mistakes.

For the rhythm part during the solos, I think we should just make it as simple as possible in order to match with the other channel, and dont mess up with the solo. I know its tempting to do smth more there but lets resist!

Comment

Alrighty then. Let's see how you get along with this then.

The below is the rendered audio track from the above MIDI file IN ITS ENTIRETY. It consists of ONLY the keys, bass, and drums from the above MIDI file. And I've substituted the GM sounds with my VST instruments (MODO Bass, BFD3 Vinnie Appice Kit). By no means a final mix or anything like that. But as I said: now you need to try fitting everything into the track without the prompts you're getting from the original audio or video tracks.

P.S.

Just realized that on SoundCloud you have to make the file downloadable i.e. it's not automatic. So the above file, and anything else uploaded from this point, will be downloadable in its original format (no processing done by SoundCloud). I've also edited the file permissions for most of the earlier versions on SoundCloud so that they too are downloadable.
        Last edited by dpaterson; 02-23-2019, 05:15 AM.

Comment

The MIDI's tuning is off by half a note.

Comment

Originally posted by greekdude View Post
            The MIDI's tuning is off by half a note.
            Are you referring to the very last file uploaded??? And when compared to what???

Comment

Never mind. I know why. The original audio/video is detuned by a half step. Dio resorted to doing this in pretty much all the live performances after around 1984/1985. So: your choice is either alternate tuning or standard tuning not???

Easy to change the MIDI file. Just dunno how you dudes feel about using alternate tuning on your guitars (something I will not do on principle but then again I'm not contributing musically here).
              Last edited by dpaterson; 02-23-2019, 11:22 AM.

Comment

The original recording on the VHS video from 1985 is definitely tuned to A=440Hz (standard "concert" pitch) - I just verified this by playing
                along with my guitar (tuned to A=440Hz)
                Last edited by LLL; 02-23-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
                  Never mind. I know why. The original audio/video is detuned by a half step. Dio resorted to doing this in pretty much all the live performances after around 1984/1985. So: your choice is either alternate tuning or standard tuning not???

Easy to change the MIDI file. Just dunno how you dudes feel about using alternate tuning on your guitars (something I will not do on principle but then again I'm not contributing musically here).
                  If you watch the vid Vivial Cambel clearly starts with D minor. So standard tuning. As LLL said it is std A. The transctiption over songster is wrong in many ways.

Comment

Anyways, I finished 3 tracks!
                    - clean
                    - rhythm
                    - yngwies parts! I missed 2-3 notes, which I'd love to nail, especially on the second solo, but if you see my envonment... its pretty ... lean..

no 48K sampling. Standard wav 44.1K .

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post

I think greekdude is saying the intro (clean guitars "who crys for the children? I doooo") is tuned incorrect in the tablature. IIRC I saw similar with the tab I was looking at.

The rest I believe is A-ok. Although IIRC after the solo and during the buildup before the final choruses (when the G chord is played and held a few times with the drums pounding) it seems there may be an extra bar or two added in the tab

Comment

Yeah, I'm sticking to 44.1K for my submissions. Typically everything gets "mixed down" to that sample rate anyways (give or take some dithering).

Comment

Alright. Fair enough. Will check the MIDI file again and compare to the audio original and makes changes where necessary. I have two tabs. One is detuned and one is at concert pitch. After checking though I have only ever used the concert pitch one on this thread. Had to be sure.

44.1kHz is fine. Should be 48kHz for video strictly and technically but for our purpose here no issue.

Comment

Here are my tracks so far :
                            Listen to Clean Session - were stars by greekdude888 #np on #SoundCloud

Listen to Rhythm Session - were stars by greekdude888 #np on #SoundCloud

Listen to Malmsteen Session - were stars-ok by greekdude888 #np on #SoundCloud

To make this I had to move the original (meaning the official long version from youtube) a little bit to the right, meaning earn some time to put my fingers on the fretboard for the initial clean arpeggio after hitting "record". All 3 tracks are synchronized with each other.
                            Now, I could also do the other yngwie-like (craig goldy?) dude and his solos, and also some other if needed (scheduled for the next weekend).

Guys this took a lot of practice and also a lot of takes, almost all of saturday went into this.
                            Last edited by greekdude; 02-24-2019, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Just so we’re clear here :

Are you saying that you are using the official long version from YouTube as the backing track when making these recordings???

Oh and can you make the files downloadable i.e. available for direct download in file permissions on SoundCloud.
                              Last edited by dpaterson; 02-23-2019, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I could give Viv Campbell's parts a try. His playing style is right up my alley.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
                                Originally posted by Myaccount876
                                Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Working...
                                X