Replacing the Lexicon... any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Replacing the Lexicon... any ideas?

Whenever I outgrow or have to replace old gear, I don't try to replicate the old stuff- for that, just by mint pieces on Ebay. I look at it as an opportunity to create some new sounds and change my way of thinking about this stuff.
    EDIT: Just looked at the Vintage Revolution stuff. Wow, they could use someone in industrial design. But I don't see the point of digitally switched analog effects in one box. It seems like it would be easier (and more fun) to collect vintage pedals, stick them in a rack and buy a midi controlled switcher for them.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Whenever I outgrow or have to replace old gear, I don't try to replicate the old stuff- for that, just by mint pieces on Ebay. I look at it as an opportunity to create some new sounds and change my way of thinking about this stuff.
      EDIT: Just looked at the Vintage Revolution stuff. Wow, they could use someone in industrial design. But I don't see the point of digitally switched analog effects in one box. It seems like it would be easier (and more fun) to collect vintage pedals, stick them in a rack and buy a midi controlled switcher for them.
      Because it's programmable! I can have presets. I can have a heavy flange and a medium flange and a barely there flange all at the tap of a button. I can't do that with pedals. My old MP2 preamp had programmable analog FX and I miss it.

And yeah... I'm pretty set in my ways. It was a major switch for me last year going from a midi-controlled preamp to a head and I still haven't recovered...

Comment

Curious to see what you end up with.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
          Curious to see what you end up with.
          I'll let you know. I'm still doing research... I don't wanna replace anything going into summer so I have a few months to decide. But once I settle on a rig I'll post pics and maybe some clips if I'm feeling ambitious.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
            Because it's programmable! I can have presets. I can have a heavy flange and a medium flange and a barely there flange all at the tap of a button. I can't do that with pedals. My old MP2 preamp had programmable analog FX and I miss it.

And yeah... I'm pretty set in my ways. It was a major switch for me last year going from a midi-controlled preamp to a head and I still haven't recovered...
            I get it...actually, I am just as particular as the way I want things, too.

Comment

Ooohhh... just got a bit of a break. A buddy is going to trade me a Korg DL8000R for an old Mesa combo I have collecting dust . It's older than my Lexicon but this thing has been sitting in his studio since it was new and has barely been used! These things are my second-fav all time delay, but I wasn't going to get one due to age. However I know for a fact that this thing is in perfect condition and has not been gigged so if I replace the battery and recap it should have lots of life left. Korg stuff is generally more reliable than Lexicon anyway. That doesn't solve the whole problem... but delays are no longer an issue.

Comment

Doesn't EVH still use his old Roland SDE 3000 delays? Of course, maintenance costs aren't an issue for him.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                  Doesn't EVH still use his old Roland SDE 3000 delays? Of course, maintenance costs aren't an issue for him.
                  Yeah... you have to be careful with old rackmount stuff. For instance I think the all-time greatest digital delay is the TC2290 but there are some parts that are no longer available at any price. They're expensive to buy and if one of those obsolete ICs fails you have a $1500 paperweight.

My Lexicons you can still get parts for but prices are going up and they're not the most reliable thing ever made, either. Both of mine have been fixed several times. These Korg units OTOH have a really solid reputation and by getting a lightly used one I just won the lottery; I consider these to be second only to the TC2290. Programming is not the simplest thing on the planet but you have very fine control over parameters. I've got mine at home now and am working on settings. It's not going into a rack until I'm ready for 100% integration.

Obviously the Korg is not going to replace the Lexicons... it's not a multi-fx. It'll just take over my digital delay needs. I'm about 80% sure I'm going to pull the trigger on a VR PedalPro before the summer is out unless a better option presents itself.

Comment

There is nothing that any of those old-times do that Axe-FX cannot achieve. Steve Vai actually donated his Roland SDE delay rack to the original developer, out of noble reason or whatever but I guess he just wanted to get rid of stuff he doesn't use anymore. It's no secret that he used refrigerator racks back in DLR and Whitesnake and now he only got AxeFX in his rack.

I am cautious about investing in expensive digital effects after the PSU board of my TC M350 went out more than a year ago. The replacement cost was like 30% of a new one. I decided to sell it as it was for about an equivalent of 90 dollars. A week later with that money I got myself a Zoom MS70CDR, more effects, more features, 2ins 2 outs, and if it breaks I'll just throw it out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                      There is nothing that any of those old-times do that Axe-FX cannot achieve. Steve Vai actually donated his Roland SDE delay rack to the original developer, out of noble reason or whatever but I guess he just wanted to get rid of stuff he doesn't use anymore. It's no secret that he used refrigerator racks back in DLR and Whitesnake and now he only got AxeFX in his rack.

I am cautious about investing in expensive digital effects after the PSU board of my TC M350 went out more than a year ago. The replacement cost was like 30% of a new one. I decided to sell it as it was for about an equivalent of 90 dollars. A week later with that money I got myself a Zoom MS70CDR, more effects, more features, 2ins 2 outs, and if it breaks I'll just throw it out the window.
                      What you're missing is those older delays had a SOUND. The TC2290 for instance... why do you think people hung onto those for so long? What made that thing great wasn't the digital circuitry, it was the ANALOG circuitry.

And your statement isn't quite true: there's some interesting, esoteric functionality in them that hasn't been duplicated in any modern unit.

I think it was better when digital was being used to take sounds in interesting new directions, as opposed to the modeling paradigm in which digital is being used to copy something else.

Comment

Yeah, I don't really use my Fractal to mimic classic or current sounds. I've been twisting all sorts of stuff out of it (mostly things that don't remotely sound like a guitar), since I've had it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Yeah, I don't really use my Fractal to mimic classic or current sounds. I've been twisting all sorts of stuff out of it (mostly things that don't remotely sound like a guitar), since I've had it.
                          It's symptomatic of where popular music is at in general, really. Nobody is looking for anything new. I mixed two shows last weekend. One is a regional cover band in the upper midwest... if you live in Minnesota, the Dakotas, Iowa, or Wisconsin you have probably heard of them. They can play the most deserted nowheresville in ND and pack the house, they all make very good money playing full-time, and as an organization routinely gross over a million a year. I used to play guitar with them and still mix them sometimes. The other band was a touring act I had never heard of playing some fairly interesting original music. We were in a medium sized club in a medium sized city (for the region) and it was half empty. I mentioned that I had mixed (other band) the previous night and the guitar player was like man... those guys live like kings playing other people's music and here we are doing something new and hope every night to sell enough t-shirts to buy food the following day.

Comment

Yeah, I believe it. Still not enough to change what I do, but I believe it and really understood that as I 'decided' I wanted to play music for a living. For people like me, who see playing in a cover band no different than any other non-music-related job, it is certainly difficult. I realize trying to do your own thing doesn't have immediate external rewards/validation.
                            But I don't think I'd want it any other way.

Comment

OP, I don't know if you're anywhere near Portland, but a PedalPro just went up on Craigslist for a very reasonable price.

Wish I was nearby there. Have been thinking about getting rid of my Lexicon G2 also and the PedalPro looks to be nearly ideal for analog pre FX. I'd be pairing it with my beloved Triaxis and a good post processor, maybe an Orville.

BTW, I agree with you about some of the older rack units- I still have an MXR System II that I bought in 1980, and I keep a blackface Intellifex in my gig rack just for the 8-voice chorus. Nothing I've heard can touch it.
                              Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 05-23-2017, 02:58 PM.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                                OP, I don't know if you're anywhere near Portland, but a PedalPro just went up on Craigslist for a very reasonable price.

Wish I was nearby there. Have been thinking about getting rid of my Lexicon G2 also and the PedalPro looks to be nearly ideal for analog pre FX. I'd be pairing it with my beloved Triaxis and a good post processor, maybe an Orville.

BTW, I agree with you about some of the older rack units- I still have an MXR System II that I bought in 1980, and I keep a blackface Intellifex in my gig rack just for the 8-voice chorus. Nothing I've heard can touch it.
                                Cool stuff, all of it.

As for the pedalpro, there's a four wire mod you can get for it from the manufacturer that will allow you to use it both pre and post. I'm nowhere near Oregon...

Comment

Working...
                                X