HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

Nothing in the works yet... it's just another idea I have... specifically for a Tele Bridge pickup!
    GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Originally posted by swissmountain View Post
      Further update: I now made two hybrids out of a 7k and an 8k PAF style humbucker. I kept the magnets (the one with the hotter screw coil has an A4 while the other has an A2). I have only installed the one with the A4 magnet right now in the neck spot of a Les Paul (which has a 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge spot). It replaced a 7.2k A4 PAF style humbucker which was very good to begin with. The A4 neck hybrid is noticeably higher output and fatter in the midrange while retaining lots of edge. It is quite tight in the low end for a full size humbucker although not quite as tight as I had hoped for. But the overall tone especially for leads is so good that I can live with the slightly loose low end for now. Anyway - playing that hybridized Les Paul is more fun than it ever has been - highly recommended.

Great work, thanks for sharing with the forum.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        I have a 59/Jazz hybrid in the neck of my LP and it's nice. I have the 59 screw outer coil and Jazz slug inner coil and I use my pots to switch to series, parallel, or either coil. Maybe get a triple shot then you can use either coil!
        Had one in a Hamer, best neck humbucker I've ever had. Had the 59/Custom in the bridge. Pulled the bridge when I sold the Hamer, left in the 59/Jazz neck...stupid, stupid, stupid of me.

Comment

Bring it back!
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by BachToRock View Post
            Nothing in the works yet... it's just another idea I have... specifically for a Tele Bridge pickup!
            Just promise to make sure it gets a name better (ie, shorter but less straight forward) than "59/Custom Hybrid".

I'd like to be the first to recommend that the name has the word "special" at the end. Like "The Hybrid Special" or something like that. It's a well-documented fact that adding special to the end of a name enhances the quality of the product itself.
            Last edited by Chistopher; 09-27-2017, 07:15 PM.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Hybridcaster Strat Bridge... SSL-H
              Hybridcaster Tele Bridge... STL-H

Whaddya think? Add a "Special" if needed...

Wind it slighly hot with vintage wire... tap it... then add some burn with some 43 wire like the SSL-5/Antiquity Texas Hot
              Last edited by BachToRock; 10-10-2017, 11:50 AM.
              GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Ah, interesting idea, I take it "SSL-H" is short for "Special SpeciaL Hybrid" and "STL-H" is "Special TeLe Hybrid"? I must admit, with names like that, you won't need a marketing department.
                Last edited by Chistopher; 10-10-2017, 03:05 PM.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

SSL-H = Seymour Strat Lead Hybrid
                  STL-H = Seymour Tele Lead Hybrid
                  GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Can you divulge any information about them yet? Maybe what they are based off of, or magnet options?

I'm not trying to force my ideas on you, but I think it would be neat if you "calibrated" the magnets by pickup. Like maybe an A4 in the neck but an A5 in the bridge. I don't think a single major pickup company has actually done a pickup set where they use a different magnet for a different position. It would certainly keep up with the cutting edge aspect of them.

Again, I'm not trying to force it on you, I've just been sitting on this idea for a while.

Comment

There is nothing in the works with Duncan... just an idea.
                      GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

Ah, well good luck. Keep us up to date if/when it gets any further. Seems like a winning idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                          Can you divulge any information about them yet? Maybe what they are based off of, or magnet options?

I'm not trying to force my ideas on you, but I think it would be neat if you "calibrated" the magnets by pickup. Like maybe an A4 in the neck but an A5 in the bridge. I don't think a single major pickup company has actually done a pickup set where they use a different magnet for a different position. It would certainly keep up with the cutting edge aspect of them.

Again, I'm not trying to force it on you, I've just been sitting on this idea for a while.
                          Can you get A4 poles for Fender type pickups? Haven't heard this before.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            Can you get A4 poles for Fender type pickups? Haven't heard this before.
                            You can get A2, A3, A4, A5, and even UnOriented A5 rod magnets for single-coil p'ups.

I actually have tried different alnico grade rods for the different strings as a mean of balancing the inherent string output unbalance, although I found to work better to use the same grade with different lenghts, being the exception with the bridge p'up, which blending two grades sound pretty good and tame the pesky ice-pick at the same time.

/Peter
                            Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                            Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Peter,
                              Good ideas.
                              Thanks,
                              Steve Buffington

Comment

Has anyone ever made a lil 59/jbj hybrid for a strat or tele?

Comment

Working...
                                X