Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: HOW TO: Make a 59/Custom Hybrid

Originally posted by vanlandau View Post
    Has anyone ever made a lil 59/jbj hybrid for a strat or tele?
    I don't think you can disassemble that kind of p'up without damaging it in the process.

/Peter
    Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
    Kolding, Denmark

Comment

This thread needs a bump. Just read through the whole thing over the last couple days. Bought a used 59/Custom Hybrid that will be replacing a JB this weekend and this thread has made me more confident in the decision to try it.
      Gibson R9 Lemon|Gibson SG Std|Fender 59 AmVint 3TB/AmStd Strat 3TB/MIM Strat Agave Blue|82 Squier JV '57 Strat 2TB|Epi LP Trans Cherry 50s wiring/vint Bees/SD CS WLH|Cort M600 59-Cust Hybrid+Jazz|Harley Benton RB-612CS|Rosewood Tele|Kramer Ferrington
      Marshall JCM 2000 50w/DSL40c V30/Lead 100 MOSFET/1960a GB/Lead 12|Fender Blues Deluxe RI|Vox AC15C1/Pathfinder 15R|Laney Cub 15 head|Orange Micro Terror|BOSS Katana 100|Peavey Bandit|Orange Crush 15R

Comment

I'm making a double thick A5 double screw Distortion/Custom hybrid for my new guitar you mofos.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

I am thinking whether to go ahead with a Seth / A2P neck here .

Comment

My Seth/Ant neck came out insane so I'd say go for it.
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
              My Seth/Ant neck came out insane so I'd say go for it.
              Clint, which coil of each p'up did you use for yours? If I have to guess, I'd say the winner was Ant screw coil/Seth slug coil, am I right?

/Peter
              Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Yes, correct!
                I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  Yes, correct!

/Peter
                  Kolding, Denmark

Comment

I've made neck hybrids by combining the coils of a bridge PAF (8.4, 4.2 per coil) and a neck PAF (7.6, 3.8 per coil). Although technically it has a higher resistance (8.0) than the stock neck model's 7.6, the .4k difference of the hybrid is enough to give a brighter, clearer neck tone without any low end mud. That's even with a warm magnet like an UOA5 or A2, which give the added bonus of a richer sonic texture. I've found that a 5% difference in coil resistance gives the benefits of a hybrid, but a brighter magnet is required to get the bright, clear tones I want. I've made neck hybrids with a '59B/'59N, '59B/SethN, A2PB/'59N, etc.

Since pickup makers share very little, if anything, about their windings, I select coils to pair up by resistance. Otherwise you can unknowingly combine two coils that have similar winding patterns or tensions, and not get much hybrid effect.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

If I am soldering a screw bobbin in a hybrid (start wire to baseplate ground), between a 60W pointed tip iron and a 100W chiselled tip iron which one is more appropriate?

p/s At some point I would like to solder on humbucker covers that I have removed too.
                      Last edited by raistlin; 11-01-2018, 06:33 AM.

Comment

60W.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

You might get enough heat from the 60 watt to solder a wire to the baseplate. However, 100 watt irons are extremely useful for stuff that require a lot of heat like humbucker covers, pot backs, and soldering a ground wire to a bridge. I use a 45 watt for general soldering including delicate lugs and an 100 watt for the heavy duty stuff that I mentioned.
                          I bought them for you

Comment

I use two irons, one 30W with pencil tip that I use to everything but soldering metal covers to the baseplate. To that I use a 100W with a chiseled tip.

Having said that, a 60W iron is enough to soldering covers to baseplates in most cases.

/Peter
                            Last edited by Discharged; 11-02-2018, 02:17 AM.
                            Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Thanks so much Christopher, Clint and Discharged!

Comment

I finally made my own 59/custom hybrid today. I do like it, and it’s one of the few pickups I like with an alnico V. I was considering putting an alnico IV in it, but I wanted to keep the high end. I kinda wanted to make a higher output unbucker-ish style pickup...I still might put an Alnico IV in its place, but for now it’s cool. I’m definitely happy I finally did it.

Comment

Working...
                                X