banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Guitars, 5 Pickups, You Put Them In Order From Your Favorite To Least Favorite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 5 Guitars, 5 Pickups, You Put Them In Order From Your Favorite To Least Favorite

1 - Duncan Custom

2 - Custom 5

3 - EVH (Fender/EVH Brand)

4 - Custom 8

5 - Custom Custom

Comment

Re: 5 Guitars, 5 Pickups, You Put Them In Order From Your Favorite To Least Favorite

LOL

Well damn! Guess I'm a fan of the Customs then!

Comment

What Guitar there big J?
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

For dirt I liked:

1 - Duncan Custom
          5 - Custom Custom
          2 - Custom 5
          4 - Custom 8

And the Custom for leads. Very interesting! What is this EVH thing????

For cleans I went with:

4 - Custom 8
          2 - Custom 5
          5 - Custom Custom
          1 - Duncan Custom

Custom 5 clean makes total sense. Interesting Custom was at the bottom while C8 was at the top!

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            What Guitar there big J?

1 - Duncan Custom - Cherry Sunburst Gibson Les Paul Classic Premium Plus

2 - Custom 5 - Quilted Peacock Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus

3 - EVH (Fender/EVH Brand) - Black EVH Wolfgang Special

4 - Custom 8 - Amber Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus

5 - Custom Custom - Blue Sparkle Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Comment

Well, I guess I have brown sound taste

Comment

Far out, man. I guess I wasn't that far off. The only one that really surprises me is that 5 was a CC, didn't sound near as muffled as I remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                  the gospel according to D-Phinny:

5 - Custom Custom
                  4 - Custom 8
                  2 - Custom 5
                  1 - Duncan Custom

that's really interesting, as I've tried both the C5 and C8 and they didn't last for me very long at all. and while I've never gotten my hands on the EVH, I have a CC in a maple neck-thru with alder wings and ebony board w/ a FR and it's working out well for me in that rig.

Jolly is wise. Jolly is true.

this has been a really interesting thread. I think these 'comparison' types of samples, be it audio or video, are great.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                    1 - Duncan Custom - Cherry Sunburst Gibson Les Paul Classic Premium Plus

2 - Custom 5 - Quilted Peacock Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus

3 - EVH (Fender/EVH Brand) - Black EVH Wolfgang Special

4 - Custom 8 - Amber Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus

5 - Custom Custom - Blue Sparkle Epiphone Les Paul Standard
                    So, my list went:

Custom 8 (A8)
                    Custom Custom (A2)
                    Custom 5 (A5)
                    Custom (ceramic)
                    EVH

Surprisingly, that's probably exactly as I would have ordered them by name, without clips...and my ears were correct in thinking that 3 (EVH) was the "most different.

Good exercise. It proves I am not as deaf as I thought. Thanks, Jolly.
                    Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-01-2013, 12:49 PM.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The Custom sounded superior to the other pickups to my ears.

I find it interesting that I responded to the additional harmonics that the ceramic magnet provided in the Custom.

I liked the similarity of the Custom 5 to the Custom and noticed that the low mids seemed more prominent (I remarked how I thought the low end seemed tighter).

But what was weird is that I didn't even respond to 3, 4 and 5... they seemed like lesser pickups than the Custom and Custom 5.

3, 4 and 5 seemed a bit dull, congested, honky and dark compared to the sound of the Custom.

This decided for me that I need to check out more ceramic pickups and not be so kneejerk opposed to them.

Weird how I thought that the Custom 8 and Custom Custom didn't sound nearly as good as the Custom or even the Custom 5.

Just shows how IMO Seymour's original recipe of marrying the Custom wind with a ceramic magnet was the best possible choice.
                      Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                        Jolly is wise. Jolly is true.
                        I don't know about all that crap, but I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for playing!!

My next fun thread will be some neck pickups. I will play some crap as usual, tell you the names of the pickups, and you'll try and guess what pickups are what.

Comment

Originally posted by jimman View Post
                          5. Custom Custom
                          Oh yeah, I think this is the only person that got one correct. Nice job Jim!!

Comment

I had a Custom Custom in an Epi for a long time. It sounded righteous. It just works for that mytery wood Epi uses...

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                              Oh yeah, I think this is the only person that got one correct. Nice job Jim!!
                              Thanks. And thanks for doing this, I really enjoyed this. I am surprised at how little I liked the EVH. I am looking forward to the neck comparison.

Comment

Surprised at how much I liked the EVH.

Comment

Working...
                                X