Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tube Screamer or EQ

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    You can get a TS-ish flavored out of an EQ pedal in front, but the thing about the TS is that even with the gain set at zero, it still has a little grit. This grit is mixed with the clean signal inside the Tube Screamer, so by the time it hits the amp, it does it in a particular way that a plain EQ'd clean boost doesn't. There is a little saturation added behind the clean EQ'd signal, so the tone ends up sounding more squishy and less dry while still retainining clarity to the attack that a plain EQ'd clean boost doesn't quite achieve, IME.

Not to say an mid-boost EQ won't get you close, or that there's other possibilities that sound good as well for tightening a high-gain tone, but only a TS sounds like a TS.
    Excellent answer!
    Now I gotta try a TS...

Comment

I do not have a clean boost : I use the TS (TS808) with bottomed out gain for that when needed.
      So this thead was quite interesting
      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Both would respond differently to picking strength, would clean up differently as well. TS style pedals have a EQ curve of their own and I'm not sure you can mimic that with an EQ pedal.

Also, even with the gain on zero, the TS will introduce some sort of compression alongside the boost, which might be desirable or not.
        In the end, nothing wrong with trying all possibilities out. I used to get a nice fat fuzzy tone out of a Behringer bass preamp pedal with my guitar. Just try **** out.

If I recall correctly, Tom Morello used a GE7 with the EQ flat and the volume all the way up as a boost at least in early RATM albums. So there you go.
        Last edited by Diego; 04-15-2019, 08:01 AM.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Heh, so in a funny twist of fate, as of today, I'm probably going for either a TS or an EQ (or maybe a treble boost). I just got a used OR Jim Root Terror for quite cheap, and as I already happen to own an Orange 4x12, it seemed like the obvious choice. But tis quite muffled and very fuzzy and there's not enough gain in it to satisfy my dirty, dirty needs. I'm gonna have to bring in some high end a bit more gain before I'll be happy.
          --------------------------------------------------------
          1973 Aria 551
          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

It always sound to me with the TS will always have a little bit of that flavor in it....which is fine but I tended to want the sound I already had, just louder, when I went in for a solo.
            At most I might tweak some of the mids and highs up a bit to cut through but not much. Mostly I just wanted that volume boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
              Not asking for purchase advice, just trying to wrap my head around something. Seems to me most people recommend using TS style pedals with the gain bottomed out, level up and tone to taste. So basically, a clean-ish boost with a mid-hump for cutting through a loud band and/or mix.

Is there any reason not to just use an EQ with a gain knob (like say, the MXR 10-band or equivalent)? Wouldn't it give you the same effect, with the added option of being able to further dial in mid boosting and bass cutting?
              How about a TS9 into a 10band EQ ?
              Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Just picked up an MXR 10-band today. Sounds good in the FX loop. It does the TS thing, but without sounding like a TS. I like it. Gain slider doesn't really seem to do much though, unless hooked up in front of the amp.
                --------------------------------------------------------
                1973 Aria 551
                1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I always felt that having the gain on a TS boost pedal set to zero thinned out the sound too much. I always set the pedal's gain to 1/10. That retained some warmth and girth without clouding up the input signal.
                  Last edited by Van Noord; 05-31-2019, 10:13 PM.
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                  ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

It's good enough for Dime and Slayer. Do it.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Also note that some EQ pedals also have their own voice and add it to your tone. The DOD FX45 or the Boss GE-7 for example that I'm using with one of my rigs. I really like the way it smooths and clears up all the frequencies. It adds almost a hi-fi element to my sound.
                      The DOD I had before did the same. I used it to boost the front end of my Marshall 8100. I did this when I was in my late teens and didn't really know much about gear or that boosting amps was even a thing. I did it, and it sounded great, so I that was it...
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                      ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

I use both....

I run a TS-9ish pedal (Wampler Clarksdale) with lots of volume & not much gain at the beginning of my pedal chain, then a MXR 6 Band EQ shaped into a mid bump after my Fuzz but before any modulation or time based effects...

Unless I’m playing a amplifier that’s got a effects loop that is. Then the EQ, modulation, & time based effects are pushed through the loop & all my dirt boxes sit out front of the amp..
                        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                          Just picked up an MXR 10-band today. Sounds good in the FX loop. It does the TS thing, but without sounding like a TS. I like it. Gain slider doesn't really seem to do much though, unless hooked up in front of the amp.
                          One of the first tone tricks somebody taught me when I first started playing and was looking to tweak things was exactly that; an EQ pedal in the Effects Loops. Works wonders.

Comment

Working...
                          X