Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Amp

Hi there.
    I really need some help please as I am now a newly retired man who has an opportunity to play as a "one man band" in a small local pub and as such will need an amplifier. After playing for 50 years as a pure acoustic guitarist I am totally overwhelmed by all the specs and doodaas of the modern amps and only want a reasonably simple plug and play amp that can also handle vocals and possibly a small Karaoke set up.

The gigs that I would play at will be little pubs and restaurants, with about 50 people at the most and as such I was looking at the Laney AudioHub AH40 or perhaps the Laney audiohub AH80 if the 40Watt is not powerful enough.... what are these amps like and are they value for money?

Re: Acoustic Amp

welcome to the forum! the fishman loudbox series is my favorite line of acoustic amps. i use a loudbox mini and my friends have the artist and performer models. the bigger models are better for sure, but for my purposes the mini works just fine. super portable and sounds great

Comment

Thank you for your answer I did look at the Fishman amps..... For some unbeknownst reason the Fishman amps are a heck of a price here in New Zealand whereas the Laneys seem to cheaper and a bit more versatile so that is what I am basing my choice on, but as I said I don't much about amps and I am most definitely keeping what you said mind.

Comment

My recommendation (As a guy who has done this...)

Get a simple 12" powered PA speaker. Here the brand would be Alto. We are talking like a 12" Speaker maybe 50 watts or so. Here is an example. This one even has two inputs so you are good to go.

Find what you are looking for at Guitar Center with the GuitarCenter.com site map. Browse by product, brand and more

However - I would add two things:

#1 A stand - always good too get the sound avbove the heads of the audience, so it projects.
        #2 A small mixer like this: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Ma...wered-Mixer.gc

The mixer will just allow you to - that's right - mix things better!

If you go with the guitar amp, it likely won't pole up, will be more expensive, and you can't ever add another guitar or microphone if ever want/need. You can always add any number of awesome little multi-fx or processors if you want. The speaker, and the mixer/pole will also likely be cheaper than the guitar amp also.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Wow Aceman thank you.
          Oh boy you've thrown a cat amongst the Pigeons as I had not even thought of going in that direction.... you've certainly given me food for thought and I need to do some more research me thinks!

Comment

I second the PA speaker
            That's what I use

If you need more than a guitar and vocal
            You'll need a little mixer

Look around and find one that will.play bluetooth songs from your phone or takes a usb stick
            For breaks and such
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yeah, I've always just used powered PA speakers. Some powered speakers even have a few channels- it is like having a simple mixer built in. But it is cheap to add a small 4-8 channel external mixer, too.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like the simplicity of an acoustic amp. I use the little brother of the Boss unit linked below. (you mentioned possible karaoke use so you'd benefit from the larger speaker and extra power)

With this you get a perfect suite of FX for guitar and vocal, feedback suppression and phantom power for the mic, aux in, direct outs should you need to interface with a large rig. All of it works with just three cables: power, guitar and mic.

Comment

For Acoustic Guitar, Vocals, Karaoke with no soundman and one guy doing the moving -I would look into a modern portable PA tower system where the sub sits at the base of the tower.

They will sound better with the bass on the floor, with the tweets and mids in the air, and can be setup and transported WAY WAY easier. They have multi inputs, built in mixer and presets AND inherit feedback rejection in many. With DSP technology and rare earth magnet tech, they can get the performance of a traditional speaker box/wedge or better in 1/4 of the weight. Traditional Wedges on the floor and Wedges up on polls may annoy you with the setup, projection and their weight -but price will be slightly better. These stack systems with a sub start at about 300.00, a good one sits around 500-700 and a top quality portable sits at about 900-1500.

Bose, Fishman, JBL, Electro Voice, Harbinger, Turbosound, Behringer, Mackie.... everyone is making one now because they make a lot of sense for EXACTLY what you are trying to do.

Also, I'd pick a really good acoustic pickup for your guitar. -that's often where the problem is.

Don't worry, your sure to look cooler than this guy

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-11-07 09.03.55.png
Views:	1
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	5817520 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2019-11-07 09.06.02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	5817521
                  Last edited by NegativeEase; 11-07-2019, 08:32 AM.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

hes in new zealand so not sure your pricing will be at all accurate over there. i got my loudbox mini for $200 here. the pickup in my guitar was more than the amp

Comment

Those Bose systems sound terrible to me for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Those Bose systems sound terrible to me for some reason.
                        I'd offer that it was not set up and tuned correctly or not with a placement or understanding of how to best use it -as it's easy to make that mistake using traditional PA setup knowledge. The EV system is the best one I've heard though.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I don't know what is good as acoustic is not really my subject but whenever an acoustic gig is around I use powered speakers like the guys above here. I either use an Alto that Aceman mentioned or a TC Electronic FX150 mini monitor. It is light and tiny and has a lot of stings in the tail, it is more than enough for small clubs. To me it sounds pretty good but maybe it is a blasphemy in the General Truth of Acoustic Guitardom.
                          Last edited by NecroPolo; 11-07-2019, 10:24 AM.
                          Wackor
                          Ørdøg
                          NecroPolo
                          Diabolus in Musica
                          SIDrip Alliance
                          Book of Shadows
                          RKH

Comment

One other feature I like about the powered 12" PA speaker is that it is modular and thus expandable. Get one speaker and a pole. Add a second guitarist and start playing in bigger rooms...add a second speaker. Start using a drum machine...add a sub. Add a bass player and a drummer...now you need another sub and a bigger mixer...and bigger mains. Buy a set of 15" powered mains, and your 12" powered speakers become your monitors.

Modular. Portable. Expandable. And alway buy a mixer with more inputs than you think you will ever need.

Bill
                            (The voice of experience)
                            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                              I'd offer that it was not set up and tuned correctly or not with a placement or understanding of how to best use it -as it's easy to make that mistake using traditional PA setup knowledge. The EV system is the best one I've heard though.
                              Well, then I've heard dozens of people who don't know how to set them up make them sound terrible. To me, it is always the Bose-branded ones that sound bad...and they are crazy expensive, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X