Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Question - PRS SE Custom 24 pickup swap

Hi All,

I am swapping out my stock pickups (G&B) from my PRS and swapping them for a SD JB and Jazz humbuckers. They have arrived and I've watched quite a few videos on swapping pickups. I'm quite good with a soldering iron so thats not bad for me.

I've taken photos of the pickups and wiring before I took the old ones out. Now they're out and I'm looking to put the new ones in, the wiring diagram doesn't correlate with what I'm seeing in my guitar cavity. I know where to solder the white and red writes on the tone pot for coil splitting and I know to solder the green and braided wires to the back of the volume pit to earth but I have no idea where to wire the two black wires on the pickup selector as per the diagram. Below is the wiring diagram from SD.

And below is what I see, it's before I took out the original pickups

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190419_021719.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	5851249

I am new to this so it's probably a really noob question to ask but I don't want to mess it up.

Your help is greatly appreciated.Click image for larger version

Name:	2H_3B_1V_1TppSPL.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	5851250
    Last edited by Sylaar76; 04-19-2019, 02:43 PM.

Re: Newbie Question - PRS SE Custom 24 pickup swap

welcome to the forum!

6 contacts on that switch? hard to tell from the pic

Comment

There's 8 contacts on that photo, 8 in a row and 2 terminals on the opposite side on the casing of the selector switch. Thanks for the welcome !

Comment

Hi, import switches on HH guitars are commonly wired with the 2 center lugs joined (the 'commons' on this switch) going out to the volume instead of coming off the outer lugs (as in your diagram).

Here is how the switch in my Hellraiser (with EMG 81tw and 89r actives) was wired, it doesn't matter if the pickups are active or not for this switch wiring:

Name:	20141029_111549.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	5813668

The switch is diagrammed like this:

Name:	3way_lever_switch_cross_refrence.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	5813669

Notice that the Yellow wire on the switch is connected to lugs B2+B1 (neck pickup input), the Red wire is on lugs B0+A0 (signal output to vol/tone), and the White wire is connected to lugs A2+A3 (bridge pickup input). This is how yours should be wired, I hope that helps!
        Last edited by Downrazor11; 04-19-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Yea that helped a lot, I did solder the wrong pickup wire to the wrong terminal on the switch, when I did the screwdriver test and tapped the pickups the sound came from the wrong pickup selected so I will just swaped them around. It really just gave me the confidence to know which 2 terminals to solder to. Thanks for your help and taking the time to respond to my question

Comment

Hi,

So everything installed, plug my guitar in and it seems to work fine . . . . . volume and tone pots work fine including coil split however, when I select between bridge and neck pickups there is very little or no change in tone or anything of that matter.
            Any idea what could be causing this ? Could it be my amp, my playing or what ? Surely I should hear a difference.

Comment

Can you verify which coils are working in each of the pickup positions? Do this by tapping on the coils with a screwdriver (lightly).
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

In all pickup selector positions only the bridge pickup has any output. Nothing from the neck pickup what so ever. I decided to do some investigative work, opened the guitar cavity and the ground wire had come loose from the volume pot.
                I can only assume this is the culprit ?

Comment

Does the bridge have output in all positions or just the one it is supposed to? A ground wire coming loose will cause hum, but usually won't cut off the entire signal.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

So I soldered the ground wire back and the bridge pickup has output in all positions and the neck has output in only the positions its supposed to, not sure whats going on there then . . .

So just to be clear . . The Black "hot" outputs from each Pickup are soldered to either end of the selector terminals as per the thread above by Downrazor11. The red and white wires are twisted together and soldered to 1 terminal on the tone pot which is also the coil split pot. Green and bare are twisted together and wired to the back of the volume pot. This is per Seymour Duncan wiring Diagram for 2 humbuckers, 1 vol pot, 1 tone pot (Coil Split)
                    Last edited by Sylaar76; 04-21-2019, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Newbie Question - PRS SE Custom 24 pickup swap

Do you have the wires “jumpered” over the span of two lugs each?
                      IOW, disregard the two outermost lugs (one in each side)
                      Neck pickup wire spans the gap between the next two lugs (connected to both) the next 2 lugs are spanned by the wire that goes to the volume pot.
                      And the other pickup spans the next 2 lugs on the switch.

Look closely at this picture...see how each wire in the switch is soldered to two lugs each?

Comment

In the above pic, the white and yellow wires are the pickups and the red wire goes to the pot.

Comment

Have taken a photo of my switch and labelled it below.

Name:	IMG_20190421_231116.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	5813729

Comment

That looks like you’ve got it right.

Comment

If the Bridge pickup is on in all 3 switch pos, but the neck is only in the 2 positions it is supposed to be in, that means the problem is isolated to the bridge side of the switch, otherwise both pickups would be on all the time. If it were me, I would disconnect the bridge pickup and check to make sure things are normal with the neck pickup, then I would swap the neck pickup over to the bridge lugs and see if I had neck on in all positions.

It looks like it is wired correctly, perhaps the bridge black wire is somehow contacting the outermost lug? Also, what is connected to the side-facing lug on the switch body (underneath the bridge lugs)?

Comment

Working...
                              X