Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bass Guys - A question from a guitar player

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    Took a look at some stuff in Sam Ash today. The basic Ibanez stuff speaks to me...

4 v 5 strings? You guys all talking about 4???
    It's entirely up to you. I have a 5-string (SR305), and I love it. The neck is not too wide, and it's fast and playable.

A 4-string might have a narrower neck, but a little bit wider string spacing, but that's just a guess.

Oh yes, mine is passive, too. Here it is:

As I said earlier, I use it for anything -- gigs, practice, recording. This clip was recorded with a hand-held device at a jam. I was playing that Ibanez, with those strings. (DR Neons. They may look gimmicky, but they don't sound gimmicky.)
    Last edited by BlueTalon; 06-05-2013, 04:02 PM.
    Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
    To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Aceman, Im a bass novice, so I cant really say BEST for the buck, but I will suggest this. Try basses to see what FEELS good to you. I have an EPI Tbird Pro that I love the look of and feature set, but when I played this used 80s charvel, man it played like butter... AND, I found one cheap.. Plus, one of the easiest playing 5 strings Ive ever found is an Ibanez SR305 which can also be found cheap. So find out what you like and then look for inexpensive example or youll buy a budget bass you dont enjoy playing so much..
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Absolute lowest price for a bass?
        http://www.juststrings.com/dms-2096.html?cmp=nextopia&kw=dms-2096
        A bajo sexto is basically a 12-string tuned an octave down, and by "basically" I mean "literally." Some people I guess don't like acoustic strings on their electrics though, or don't wanna sacrifice one of their guitars for bass use. They're loop-end if I'm not mistaken, but you can take the balls off of old guitar strings.

EDIT: oh wait here are some nickel-wound ones
        http://www.juststrings.com/sit-bx-12...&kw=sit-bx-12n
        Last edited by DepecheMoses; 06-05-2013, 04:26 PM.
        Love,
        /Andy

Comment

What you're recommending isn't a bass. It's a restrung guitar. A restrung guitar won't sound nearly as much like a bass as any regular bass would, and especially won't sound as much like a bass as what the OP expects a bass to sound like.

Comment

I have the SR500 and my buddy got the SR505
            the necks are the same width
            seriously

they weigh the same too

its like they just recut the nut with five slots and slapped a different bridge on it

like I said the nut is 41 mm wide
            your vendetta is 42

if you have stubby fat fingers the 305's string spacing could be a problem
            and as CoA said
            you probably dont want start with a five
            I started with a Carvin B75
            and it was just too much for a beginner

the Ibby 4 string is much more playable
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Gimme that Black SR305 with DR Neons !
              Gotta have it today.
              Originally posted by longcat
              either way...cracker-y goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
                ^^ This..^^ The "Poor Mans Ricky". Possibly the most versatile passive bass ever made as a production bass. And very usable sounds, nice neck. Just a bit hard to find and yes heavy. A classic amongst bassists. Price is rising to the $450+ now here in Texas.
                Heck yeah. Not only that, but you could drive nails with it before a gig, and it'd still be in tune.

Playing one a few times made an Ibanez Sound Gear feel like a toy to me.
                Last edited by guitfiddle; 06-06-2013, 07:42 AM.
                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney Gene View Post
                  LOL!! I would recommend a P-Bass over any bass for a desert island bass. There is no sound it can't cover well. It is the classic versatile rock, pop, punk, jazz, funk, metal bass. If you HAD to get a 2 pickup bass, a P-J is my first choice. Soapbar basses may offer a certain sound, but they can't get classic tones well. And Aceman, I know you speak in budget terms but it has been my experience that nicer the instrument, the more enjoyable/easier/satisfying it is to play and keep. This does not mean 'cheap bass' with hardware/pickup upgrade. This means a nice instrument to start and this is more relevant if this may be your only bass ever. A Squier P from the 80s is worth its price in gold. Lots of options for you.... cheers and good luck!
                  THIS! .....

I've owned hundreds of basses and written many gear reviews, catalogs, etc.....a PBass or a PBass with a PJ config (or Jazz Bass) is the meat and potatoes bass you want. As a guitarist, probably a PBass with the narrower A or B nut width as well. Buy used....and while a Fender is nice, there are many other brands in the same ballpark.

Besides the outright Fender clones, one of my personal faves that you can often find used for crazed low bargain prices are the U.S. made bolt-on Hamer Cruisebasses from the 90s - basically a Jazz Bass on steroids, with the thinner A neck. They were made with both a standard type bridge and the 2TEK upgrade for increased sustain and separation ( and a hair more weight.)

If you just want a bass to record with, buy a Sans Amp stomp box and run direct. Wait until you score your bass before buying the amp so you can try it out with your actual bass to find the sound you want.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueTalon View Post
                    What you're recommending isn't a bass. It's a restrung guitar. A restrung guitar won't sound nearly as much like a bass as any regular bass would, and especially won't sound as much like a bass as what the OP expects a bass to sound like.
                    Generally fair, but for $20 it might be worth it anyway! In the right guitar, of course.
                    Love,
                    /Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Funkfingers View Post
                      I am surprised that, knowing Aceman's Gibson leanings, nobody has suggested an Epiphone Thunderbird, Vee or Explorer bass.
                      AHEM!!!

"Zen bass" that plays everything? Fits comfortably, not expensive, covers a wide range of styles, sounds great? Gibson product?

Yeah, I'm gonna say it... but for one of these criteria, the LP Triumph is your instrument. However, good luck finding one, never mind paying less than $2.5k.

Instead, I'm going off-book, for a Gibby-head: an ESP LTD B-4E.
                      Mahog body, ebony top, 5-piece maple/mahog neck through, 34" scale.
                      active EQ, passive pups, 24 frets. Slender U-shaped neck profile.
                      $500 @ Musician's Friend.
                      sigpic
                      "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                      --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                      Originally posted by Lewguitar
                      In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by DepecheMoses View Post
                        Generally fair, but for $20 it might be worth it anyway! In the right guitar, of course.
                        IMHO it would just be a waste of $20. Look, 30" is considered really short for a bass scale, 34" is pretty much the norm. There's a reason for that -- actually, there's a bunch of reasons, having to do with string tension, string width, and the characteristics of low frequency string vibration, and resulting volume and tone.

You are recommending trying to turn a 25" scale guitar into a bass just by changing the strings. It isn't going to work. First of all, putting acoustic strings on an electric guitar is a non-starter, if the idea is to run a signal through an amp. Nylon strings don't give magnetic pickups anything to pick up. Unless the guitar is equipped with optical sensors (or piezo's, not sure about that one), there won't be any signal.

But even if you put nickle-wound strings, you've still got to deal with the short scale. The shorter the scale, the thicker the string has to be to have enough tension to be able to vibrate without flopping. Shorter scale means not as much volume, and thicker strings means less tonal range. And once you start putting substantially thicker strings on a guitar, you have to start making the openings bigger on the nut and the string saddles, and now you're into it for way more than $20.

Comment

The screaming eagle has a point. A guitarron or bajo sexto, for example, isn't just an acoustic guitar with drop tuning, it's a larger instrument with thicker strings. When you get an bass guitar, the scale length, string gauge, etc., is specific to the purpose.
                          Last edited by ginormous; 06-06-2013, 10:33 PM.
                          sigpic
                          "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                          --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                          Originally posted by Lewguitar
                          In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

IMHO it would just be a waste of $20. Look, 30" is considered really short for a bass scale, 34" is pretty much the norm. There's a reason for that -- actually, there's a bunch of reasons, having to do with string tension, string width, and the characteristics of low frequency string vibration, and resulting volume and tone.

You are recommending trying to turn a 25" scale guitar into a bass just by changing the strings. It isn't going to work. First of all, putting acoustic strings on an electric guitar is a non-starter, if the idea is to run a signal through an amp. Nylon strings don't give magnetic pickups anything to pick up. Unless the guitar is equipped with optical sensors (or piezo's, not sure about that one), there won't be any signal.

But even if you put nickle-wound strings, you've still got to deal with the short scale. The shorter the scale, the thicker the string has to be to have enough tension to be able to vibrate without flopping. Shorter scale means not as much volume, and thicker strings means less tonal range. And once you start putting substantially thicker strings on a guitar, you have to start making the openings bigger on the nut and the string saddles, and now you're into it for way more than $20.
                            Well, technically any steel-core string will work on an electric, and even the bronze-wound strings have steel cores. I've been using acoustic strings on my electrics almost as long as I've been playing, because they're easier to find in gauges that don't feel like trash. I've also found I like the way they sound better, which is a weird preference, but I guess will happen if you get accustomed to a thing.

And sir! You don't need to lecture me on the way guitars work, I am literally a guitar technician! That's how I make money. So I guess I wasn't taking into account the cost of a new nut, (because the cost of a new nut to me is zero.) But I also know from constantly dropping tunings and consequently using thicker strings that pretty much anywhere you mount a guitar string to will be able to accommodate .092", because I've measured them. It might get a little hairy on a Strat trem just because of the path the string needs to take, but it also might not? I'll report back.

EDIT: A Strat accommodates at least up to .100", but it's tight.
                            Last edited by DepecheMoses; 06-06-2013, 11:59 PM.
                            Love,
                            /Andy

Comment

Well, technically any steel-core string will work on an electric, and even the bronze-wound strings have steel cores. I've been using acoustic strings on my electrics almost as long as I've been playing, because they're easier to find in gauges that don't feel like trash. I've also found I like the way they sound better, which is a weird preference, but I guess will happen if you get accustomed to a thing.
                              Fair point. You said "accoustic" and my mind thought "nylon", which was not what you were referring to. My bad.

And sir! You don't need to lecture me on the way guitars work, I am literally a guitar technician! That's how I make money. So I guess I wasn't taking into account the cost of a new nut, (because the cost of a new nut to me is zero.) But I also know from constantly dropping tunings and consequently using thicker strings that pretty much anywhere you mount a guitar string to will be able to accommodate .092", because I've measured them. It might get a little hairy on a Strat trem just because of the path the string needs to take, but it also might not? I'll report back.

EDIT: A Strat accommodates at least up to .100", but it's tight.
                              I didn't know you were a guitar tech. But I was trying to explain, not lecture. And my primary point wasn't about the additional cost of a nut/saddles, it was about the infeasibility of stringing up a regular guitar to be a good bass. Was anything I said about that factually incorrect? Even baritone guitars, with a 28" scale, typically only drop 4 or 5 notes from the low E on a 25" guitar. Dropping a full octave without increasing scale length at all, and with the string spacing of a normal 6-string electric guitar, is just bad tone and bad playability waiting to happen, IMO.

I'm not saying it can't be done at all. I just seriously doubt it will work well, and be able to function like a 34" or 30" bass guitar. But I'll be willing to eat my words if you try it and can get it to work well.

However, for a guitar player who wants to have one do-it-all bass at his disposal, and doesn't want to spend much on the bass because every dollar he spends on a bass is a dollar he can't spend on guitars, turning one of his guitars into a can't-do-it-all bass is probably not the optimum choice.
                              Last edited by BlueTalon; 06-07-2013, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Fair point. You said "accoustic" and my mind thought "nylon", which was not what you were referring to. My bad.

I didn't know you were a guitar tech. But I was trying to explain, not lecture. And my primary point wasn't about the additional cost of a nut/saddles, it was about the infeasibility of stringing up a regular guitar to be a good bass. Was anything I said about that factually incorrect? Even baritone guitars, with a 28" scale, typically only drop 4 or 5 notes from the low E on a 25" guitar. Dropping a full octave without increasing scale length at all, and with the string spacing of a normal 6-string electric guitar, is just bad tone and bad playability waiting to happen, IMO.

I'm not saying it can't be done at all. I just seriously doubt it will work well, and be able to function like a 34" or 30" bass guitar. But I'll be willing to eat my words if you try it and can get it to work well.

However, for a guitar player who wants to have one do-it-all bass at his disposal, and doesn't want to spend much on the bass because every dollar he spends on a bass is a dollar he can't spend on guitars, turning one of his guitars into a can't-do-it-all bass is probably not the optimum choice.
                                Ahh lecture was probably not the right word, I didn't take any offense! But yeah, bajo sextos are usually 25.5" or so, sometimes even shorter. They have a little over 20 lbs of tension on the low E, which is not 45, but it's not 15 either.

That is probably a fair point about Aceman's hypothetical bass though.
                                Last edited by DepecheMoses; 06-07-2013, 01:35 AM.
                                Love,
                                /Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X