Why tone controls set so low??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why tone controls set so low??

Thanks to the internet I now know that a LOT of players don't have their tone controls on their amps set very high. Things like Bass 4, Mids 4, Treble 5 seem pretty common. Sometimes I even see "I turn my Bass off"
    For the past 40 years I have always pegged at least one of the controls (usually Bass) and then set the others to work with that. I might end up with Bass 10, Mids 8, Treble 8 (or whatever works for that particular amp). This is over several amps, tube and solid state.
    Two questions:

1) Why do so many players set them so low?

2) Why does it sound so different to have all the knobs at 10 compared to all the knobs at 1? I don't really "get" amp circuits but it seems like Bass/Mids/Treble all set really low should sound the same as all set really high but with lower overall volume?

Re: Why tone controls set so low??

Guitar amp tone controls kinda all work together. If you time all the controls you get a different sound than if you set them all at noon. Depending on your tastes, you might get a sound you like better from a given starting point.

Personally, I've gone back and forth between diming all the controls and then rolling back the ones that I want less of (usually bass and treble) or setting them all at noon and then boosting/cutting as necessary. Lately I've been doing the latter. I tend to adjust stuff in the middle of a gig if I don't like how they're sounding, so it's nice to have a little extra room to boost/cut something if you need it. If you want more mids you can just turn the mids up a touch . . . rather than guessing how much to turn down the bass and treble.

Although they're labelled 'Bass', 'Mid', and 'Treble' the tone stack on amps is only loosely correlated with the bass, middle, and treble of an amp. Many of these circuits were either copied from other types of amps, or simply chosen because of the availability of parts back in the day. The way they load signal really adds a lot to the character of an amp. Download the program on this website and it can give you an idea how different settings effect the sound on different amps: http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

And that's not even getting into the 'Presence' knob . . . which behaves very differently depending on whether you amp is distorted or clean. :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      Although they're labelled 'Bass', 'Mid', and 'Treble' the tone stack on amps is only loosely correlated with the bass, middle, and treble of an amp. Many of these circuits were either copied from other types of amps, or simply chosen because of the availability of parts back in the day. The way they load signal really adds a lot to the character of an amp. Download the program on this website and it can give you an idea how different settings effect the sound on different amps: http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

And that's not even getting into the 'Presence' knob . . . which behaves very differently depending on whether you amp is distorted or clean. :P
      Came to post this. Play with the bass/middle/treble on a Marshall or Fender tone stack to see its not even close to a graphic EQ. 2/2/2 and 8/8/8 look completely different.

Bass is nearly always correlated to volume. As amps get louder they get flubbier so you’ve got to pull back bass to clean it up. At low volumes bass response is usually lower so you’ve got to bring it back up to compensate. For treble, full tilt can be too strident, and it’s usually the easiest one to set. Enough cut without too much harshness. The midrange kind of falls where it will at this point. Of course all to taste.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post

1) Why do so many players set them so low?
        Got me, man... I dime all my controls (including volume) except bass (0-2) on my plexi.

Comment

I’m of the mindset that you should set your knobs with you ears and not your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
            Got me, man... I dime all my controls (including volume) except bass (0-2) on my plexi.
            Good example! Does a plexi have massive low end or something? Marshall is always the amp where people say things like "I turn the bass off" which is pretty close to what you are saying.

I don't dime everything, but I feel like I'm not really getting the full amp if I'm not diming something. I ended up not buying it, but way back when I spent an hour or so with a blackface Fender Twin and I had all the tone controls cranked full up on that thing within a few minutes. Same with a Bassman I tried out. Most amps it's just one control, sometimes two, but I don't think "everything up" is weird like everything DOWN is?

I feel like the "start at noon and adjust to taste from there" is some sort of cultural thing that just didn't exist 30 or 40 years ago? But I might have just been totally unaware of it at the time. And after reading a casual mention of "the classic B/M/T 5/5/5 setting" Aceman made in another thread I tried it on my Randall (which is a straight Marshall JCM copy but with fet's instead of tubes) and it was pretty rocking, but then I turned the bass and mids back up to where I usually keep them.
            Last edited by Dave Locher; 11-19-2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
              I’m of the mindset that you should set your knobs with you ears and not your eyes.
              This. It also depends on the guitar I’m using.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Guitar amp tone controls kinda all work together. If you time all the controls you get a different sound than if you set them all at noon. Depending on your tastes, you might get a sound you like better from a given starting point.

Personally, I've gone back and forth between diming all the controls and then rolling back the ones that I want less of (usually bass and treble) or setting them all at noon and then boosting/cutting as necessary. Lately I've been doing the latter. I tend to adjust stuff in the middle of a gig if I don't like how they're sounding, so it's nice to have a little extra room to boost/cut something if you need it. If you want more mids you can just turn the mids up a touch . . . rather than guessing how much to turn down the bass and treble.

1. I see the logic of that approach, but noon is actually higher than some players seem to be running their knobs.
                2. I kinda figured it was something along those lines, but thanks for the link to the cool/fun toy. I shall geek out to it a bit.

p.s. Presence I have NEVER turned to 10 on ANY amp that has it! Below noon always, sometimes all the way off.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  I usually use my fingers, but whatever floats your boat...

Seriously, though, I HAVE been trying to get past any preconceived notions I have about how things "should" be set but turning things down too much sounds as wrong to my ears as it looks to my eyes.

Comment

I usually have the treble around 5 on my Super, bass very low, mids around 4, if I’m playing quietly. It sounds like ass with everything dimed.

Incidentally, I think I prefer the single Shape knob on my Micro Terror. It takes no time to get it sounding great.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                      I usually have the treble around 5 on my Super, bass very low, mids around 4, if I’m playing quietly. It sounds like ass with everything dimed.

Incidentally, I think I prefer the single Shape knob on my Micro Terror. It takes no time to get it sounding great.
                      Very close to the so called “Magic Six” setting...

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

If I'm running straight into my 68 custom Princeton reverb I set bass on ten and treble between 8 and 10. Telecasters need plenty of bass and the amp doesn't put out a ton in the first place!

In my supersonic 22, the amp is solid state rectified, has a bigger transformer and bigger speaker, bigger cab, more efficient phase inverter etc leading to a much more solid bass sound that can get boomy or muddy at high volume so it sits more like 6 or 7 for bass. It has more treble too with the bright cap so that gets backed off too.

If I'm going for a darker clean or jazzy sound, bass and treble on one or two, which is closer to flat because of how the tone stack works, to accentuate the mids you must subtract bass and treble.

Comment

The preamp EQ circuits are usually passive, in the sense that anything less than full is bleeding signal away. So I've also never understood people thinking setting them to "noon" or halfway is neutral. I've always had better results diming everything and then rolling back based on the sound.

Resonance and presence are obviously exceptions.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Muddiness is a big problem with today's high output pickups and high gain amps, plus people tending to use lots of pedals. That's probably why you see bass and mids that tend to be set low on amps. It increases clarity and cut.

The bass setting on an amp tends to have a big effect on how the other tone knobs behave. Usually it should be coarsely set first, then mids, then treble. Then you go back and fine tune. If your bass is set high, your amp is putting out a lot more oomph into the power amp, but not necessarily clean oomph that cuts well. It's dirty power stage oomph that smears over things in the mix.

Normally, I run my bass below noon, my mids within a few points of noon (tend to drift the mids lower for humbuckers and higher for single coils), and my treble no lower than noon. But every amp is different, and so is every guitar. For example, on a vintage style Strat, I use more mids than normal, and might dial the treble back to around noon.
                            Last edited by ItsaBass; 11-19-2019, 06:02 PM.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              Very close to the so called “Magic Six” setting...

http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/magic-six.pdf
                              Have you heard Matt Schofield describe how he sets his eq? He cranks the up until there's some hiss, then turns each knob until it hits the sweet spot, where you can hear the hiss sort of change. I tried it, and that's how I arrived at my settings, which I just checked, and are damn near exactly the magic six.
                              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
                              X