Guitar Center: Service hacks must be killed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guitar Center: Service hacks must be killed

if you can string a guitar you can officially be a tech at GC.
    And the Meek shall inherit the Earth

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      There are 2 way of running businesses.

One involves doing the job well and getting a lot of business (and therefore profit) through recommendation and a wider circle of clients.

The other just looks at the bottom line and goes - cut back costs everywhere you can.

There is only 1 of these scenarios that is a long term viable method. Gibson went down the other route and look where they ended up.
      There are 2 ways of arguing on the internet -over simplify and generalized to bait people into one of 2 camps ONLY ..... or not. hahahaha

I got jokes.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Kill em all ...

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
          Where do you guys live that your GCs have techs? When I was a beginner and didn't know any better, and needed the input jack on my guitar fixed + a setup done, the GC in Plano just gave me the business card of a local tech who didn't work for them (he did a decent job on the jack repair, and a fairly poor job on the setup).
          I've been to that one, 1/2 of it is a furniture store iirc.. Should have gone to Charleys.. lol
          Btw, if you haven't been, The Guitar Sanctuary in McKinney is Absolutely heaven..
          Guitars:
          2017 Epiphone dot
          2007 Fender Strat (Andrew Robertson Pickups "Black strat set")
          2015/19 Fender fat telecaster
          (Andrew robertson pickups broadcaster/ Duncan 59n)

Peavey Classic 50 head/ Peavey Classic 410e cab

Comment

Well, we don't have to get so drastic/dramatic as to even jokingly talk about killing someone who doesn't do things perfectly. If that were indeed the recommended solution to incompetence, then half of you guys would already be dead.

But seriously, yes if you are unsatisfied with service received, complain to the tech and to the boss. Eventually with enough complaints the tech will improve his service or he will get fired. The problem will get corrected if there are enough complaints. "Permanent elimination" of a tech is not an option that should even be joked about in our present social environment of mass killings, etc.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Natural selection: why train some poor sod or only hire qualified candidates when you can just kill people until someone naturally talented/intuitive/previously trained eventually comes along by chance??

Also, the fatality rate alone SHOULD eventually restore prices to a sustainable level.

Win-win.

Next step: rinse and repeat with fast food workers, uber drivers, and UPS/FedEx employees. God bless capitalism!!!

As my dear departed grandma always said, "fewer folk = more oxygen (for the rest of us)"... and yeah it works better and rhymes in her native language
              Last edited by Adieu; 11-19-2018, 03:37 AM.
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                Natural selection: why train some poor sod or only hire qualified candidates when you can just kill people until someone naturally talented/intuitive/previously trained eventually comes along by chance??

Also, the fatality rate alone SHOULD eventually restore prices to a sustainable level.

Win-win.

Next step: rinse and repeat with fast food workers, uber drivers, and UPS/FedEx employees. God bless capitalism!!!

As my dear departed grandma always said, "fewer folk = more oxygen (for the rest of us)"... and yeah it works better and rhymes in her native language
                And what do you do for a living again?
                I am a automotive tech, and some days due to small overlooked things, I would be forced to off myself... lol oh well, that's why I double check things.
                Guitars:
                2017 Epiphone dot

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Cearlock View Post
                  And what do you do for a living again?
                  I am a automotive tech, and some days due to small overlooked things, I would be forced to off myself... lol oh well, that's why I double check things.
                  That was reductio ad absurdum / sarcasm
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

10-4 Good Buddy!
                    Guitars:
                    2017 Epiphone dot

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                      Man..... Ninth Circle of Hell Music has got to eliminate their service hacks right fricking now!

Here in Wichita, they got rid of the last guy who ruined half the stuff he touched. Now they have a new guy, and he's even more lacking in skills, abilities, knowledge, and tools than the last guy. This clown is a troglodyte, I'm telling you.

The victim: a newish Martin Shenandoah.
                      Client complaint: It's hard to play, and I let GC work on it first.

I eyeballed the thing, and the first thing I notice is frets 1, 2, and 3 are all much taller and wider than the rest. WTF?
                      The second thing I noticed is the bridge saddle is flat on the top - as in flat as a pool table. The middle two strings are on the frets, and the outer E strings are way too high.

I ask: "How does it sound plugged in?".
                      Client: "I can't hear all the strings".

OK, dismissed the client after picking out new strings, and put the poor thing on the bench to remove the old strings. The hack used epoxy on the 3 frets (which is fine), but it's still oozing out. Cleaned that up with a razor and some thinner. Spiffed up the whole fingerboard with some lemon oil.

There is a big epoxy run from the 1st fret dripping down the treble side. On the bass side, there is an epoxy run at the 3rd fret. I spot the GC hack's epoxy thumbprint right in the middle of neck behind the 5th fret. Removed all the epoxy, and lightly buffed the finish.

Leveled the 3 frets down to the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th, crowned them, polished them out. Took awhile, but it's cool now.

The bridge saddle is next. Why is it flat? OH. The GC hack installed the bridge saddle upside down in the slot! The curved top is sitting on the pickup, but it's been ground flat. I re-radius (from front to back), and install the saddle properly. Much better, I think.

Restring with new metal, and tune up to pitch. Adjust truss rod a smidge. Action at bridge measures great. Now for the nut... why is the action so high down there? OH. Because the GC hack put super glue in every slot to clear the tall frets he's installed. WTF AGAIN! Reset the action at the nut by filing out the super glue...

DAMN! This Martin plays great! Sounds good, too. My client will be thrilled, and I bet he never goes to GC again for service.

Guitar Center management, if you're reading this: Your service people suck, and that's why a lot of us hate you. Please die.

Signed, real service guy.
                      And what would you recommend we do to the people who attend a concert by a group that we hate and think that their music stinks? Would you suggest we sit in an overlooking hotel room and off as many of them as we can?

Or should we just shoot all the bands we hate and then let natural selection take care of those who like that music?

Comment

And what would you recommend we do to the people who attend a concert by a group that we hate and think that their music stinks? Would you suggest we sit in an overlooking hotel room and off as many of them as we can?

Or should we just shoot all the bands we hate and then let natural selection take care of those who like that music?
                        Dude. Get back on your meds.
                        Or stop doing guitar repair at GC.
                        Last edited by ICTGoober; 11-20-2018, 08:04 AM.
                        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

You keep your goddamn Harry Potter spells to your self.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                            Dude. Get back on your meds.
                            Or stop doing guitar repair at GC.
                            Just relax and mellow out.

Comment

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!! The knothead with the Martin took it back to Guitar Center to let them work on it. This time the hack pulled the first fret and replaced it - but just filed the top of the fret flat and left it rough. Then he put the bridge saddle back in upside down (it's flat on the bottom, remember?) and strung it up, winding the strings from the bottom of the post to the top (WTF?).

So of course I get this poor ***** back, and it's buzzing like hell. I immediately noticed the saddle was upside down (I put magic marker on the bottom), so I pulled it out and painted the bottom RED so it was visible. Back in the way God intended. Polished out the mangled first fret, and then restrung it properly. WTF? The hack had filed the slots for the D & G strings deeper, and they were now too low. Did the baking soda and superglue trick to build them back up. Refiled to set the action right at the nut. Wonderbar! It plays like a Martin should now!

The client expected me to "fix it for free" since I charged a pretty penny last time. Boy, is he in for a surprise! I will not only charge him again, but I will invite him to never darken my door again because he went back to GC and I have proof. This guy isn't worthy of owning or playing a Martin, and he isn't worthy of my service. **** HIM.
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

You could document a policy that you warrant your own work, but fixing someone else’s work will be billed at normal shop rates plus tax. Though in any other business beside music, all that would go without saying.

Comment

Working...
                                X