Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Billy Duffy Wah?

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
    Devastone, what is it about the wail that you like so much?

Also, thanks for the links!!!!
    It's been a while since I used one, but it's got a nice form factor and is solid, 3 mode settings, sounds really good, it just worked really well for me. Granted, I'm not a huge wah user, definitely more "rock" stuff than wacka, wacka funk.

FWIW, I think I have a crybaby classic and a few other pedals around here somewhere, but I usually just use my GT for everything.

Comment

Billy Duffy Wah

.... the f**k?

That's literally the exact thing I said out loud in 1987 when Billy premiered his new Glam rock look that even rivaled Steve Stephen's hair in total body and sheer girth
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
        Billy Duffy Wah

.... the f**k?

That's literally the exact thing I said out loud in 1987 when Billy premiered his new Glam rock look that even rivaled Steve Stephen's hair in total body and sheer girth
        I don't care what his hair looks like, and not sure why he got a signature wah, not exactly the sound he was known for, but still, THE CULT FREAKIN' ROCKS! And the cover of Sonic Temple proves that a black LPC is the baddest looking guitar on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          I don't care what his hair looks like, and not sure why he got a signature wah, not exactly the sound he was known for, but still, THE CULT FREAKIN' ROCKS! And the cover of Sonic Temple proves that a black LPC is the baddest looking guitar on the planet.
          I love Billy Duffy BTW.

I love Gothic Billy, New Wave Billy, Hard Rock Billy, Metal Billy, and post modern Billy.

every Billy is a good one on guitar.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Have you guys seen the “Pursuit of Tone” with Billy?

Billy Duffy and Mike Ness both had more influence on my playing than I initially realized.

EDIT -
            Thanks for the link correction a Devastone!

Lots of Boss pedals with a few *special* things and some great amps/guitars.
            Last edited by PFDarkside; 11-02-2019, 10:08 AM.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

There really is actually a lot of wah going on in a fair number of Cult songs but (unlike 99% of rock songs with wah) it is actually subtle and often in the background. A lot of times it is on one track out of two or three. I never saw them live but he runs two amps and I would not ge surprised if the way only goes to one amp?

Comment

You might try a Dunlop 105q bass wah. It’s pressure actuated rather than switch. I ran one for a bit with my guitar and really liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  Have you guys seen the “Pursuit of Tone” with Billy?

[url]https://youtu.be/1CCCHNlYJmo[/url]

Billy Duffy and Mike Ness both had more influence on my playing than I initially realized.
                  Fixed the link, looks great, I'll watch later -

Comment

Fixed the link, looks great, I'll watch later -
                    I really enjoyed that, thanks PFdarkside and Devastone.

I probably got more out of that (cathartically speaking) than most -as I've explained before, as I didn't grow up knowing classic or hard rock until maybe 8th grade. I grew up on Jazz and the Carpenters until about 5 and then my babysitter got me into punk, new wave, gothic, and metal -

So the Cult's "Love" was something I was into BEFORE I ever heard Jimi Hendrix, Zepplin etc... I had to discover most stuff from the 60s and 70s in reverse order as a teenager.

I played a festival in around 1999 where the Cult played, but I didn't bother Ian or Billy backstage because I had read all the post Electric and Sonic Temple interviews in mags where honestly they had gotten really full of themselves -especially their one in Thrasher magazine around 1990 or 91 when Ian just seemed so arrogant and I guess Billy went along with it -can't remember exactly. -that I was a bit worried about killing an idol by interacting with them (ever done that?). but after seeing this, man I wish I had talked to Billy... his attitude and approach reminds me of Don Whillians -the famous British climber -for any of you Mountaineer types.

Once again thanks, I don't ever hunt the internet for interviews -so I miss a lot of this stuff.

Comment

Are you into Mike Ness? He’s got a cool one as well.

(Sorry to hijack)
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        Are you into Mike Ness? He’s got a cool one as well.

(Sorry to hijack)
                        Prison Bound is one of the greatest songs ever written. so yes.

Comment

oh yeah.... Awesomeness! Ironically, I associate him with that black lp cuz of that album cover, but IIRC he seemed to be mostly associated with the bare lp.(sanded?) and of course now, Gretsch guits
                          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                            oh yeah.... Awesomeness! Ironically, I associate him with that black lp cuz of that album cover, but IIRC he seemed to be mostly associated with the bare lp.(sanded?) and of course now, Gretsch guits
                            Actually, he played a Gretsch on all the early stuff way before the LPC.

Comment

Actually, he played a Gretsch on all the early stuff way before the LPC.

Yep, He and Malcom Young are the Gretsch hard rockers that come to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                                Yep, He and Malcom Young are the Gretsch hard rockers that come to mind.
                                Of course after watching the whole interview, seems that was the album he was introduced to the LPC on.

Comment

Working...
                                X