PV Ultra Plus... Noise issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PV Ultra Plus... Noise issues?

Hey! Got my Ultra Plus out of the shed and plugged it up last night. I really like that amp and was having a ball with it. HOWEVER.. I didnt remember it being so noisy. Do you other owners have issues with noise? I know high gain amps can be noisy. But my Splawn QR is dead quiet (of course it gives me some feedback when way too loud in the small room its in, and I get that of course) The Ultra plus hums pretty bad .
    Its been awhile since Ive played it and didnt remember it being like that. So wanted to see if it is normal or if maybe there is something I can or need to do since it has been sitting for awhile..

Thanks!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: PV Ultra Plus... Noise issues?

I don't think this is normal. I used one for awhile and never had noise issues.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I love Peavey, I do...but when I went looking for an amp in the '90s, the Peavey amps I played were all noisy. It has never been an issue with the Mesas, one of the reasons I got into Mesas.

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I had it hooked to cab in a bad way, so in a day or so when I get a chance, I’ll try it again, hooked up properly. Providing I didn’t wreck the amp, I’ll see if the noise is still as much. Again, been awhile since I played it, but I don’t recall it being noisy like that
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
          Hey! Got my Ultra Plus out of the shed and plugged it up last night.
          The filter caps may be shot, electrolytics degrade with time.

Comment

Bad filter caps will always create lots of hum.
            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Good news! It was the stupid way I had it hooked to my cab. I hooked it up properly and it was as I remember. Only noisy if too much gain and too loud as would be expected..haha
              Thanks for the input all!!

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
              X