Stool or chair for playing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stool or chair for playing

I actually prefer to play standing up; I have been playing with the Church praise team for 10 years now and got so used to standing while playing that I actually record and often practice standing up.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
      if you don't believe in tone chairs

just rest your guitars bottom on a wooden chair and a padded gaming chair

hear the difference

now your dining room table , picnic table
      porcelain toilet

all give different sounds

its real
      I usually rest the guitar on my leg though. And I don’t let the guitar hit the arm of the chair. (I play in an armless chair)
      That’s how nicks and damage occur.

Comment

I've seen tone tonewood guys do the "coupling" videos

where they get more bass from resting the guitar on a wooden table and strumming it
        mostly acoustic guitars but I'm sure it affect electrics to some degree

but seriously

who does that
        of would want to do that on stage or in a studio
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          I've seen tone tonewood guys do the "coupling" videos

where they get more bass from resting the guitar on a wooden table and strumming it
          mostly acoustic guitars but I'm sure it affect electrics to some degree.
          That's usually my argument for proving different types of wood actually affects tone, no matter how small of a difference it makes.

The simple fact that the transference happens in that situation and each item you use sounds different audibly, kind of proves it.

I wonder what the Iron Throne would sound like with an explorer and JCM800? That would be so metal. Lol!
          I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

plinky
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

If your back hurts while playing, I would recommend a drum throne or armless chair where your feet are supported by the floor.

Comment

i Just use a wooden chair. No cushions etc... cuz that's an indulgence.

Here in India we sit on beds of spikes usually

haha, the truth is I did;nt really sit at all when we were gigging regularly. Always played standing up, wether practicing, recording or playing live... But the last four years since Covid hit I've been sitting down all the time in front of my comp and now that we finally have a gig coming up again I find it hard as hell to play standing up again. The angles are all wrong. Fingers are'nt moving properly/stiffening up, wrists & thumb hurt like hell...it sucks. Never thought something like this (going from sitting to standing again) could cause me so many problems
                "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

It's a biggie too..

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                  If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I try to make sure that the guitar hangs in the same place no matter if I am sitting or standing. The guitar's weight is always supported by the strap, and the angles of the arms and wrists are the same.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, I use an office chair as well. I just remove the armrests. I also try to avoid those ones where the back curves in towards the outer edges. Those ones usually scratch my guitars' backs up.

The good thing about office chairs, I find, is that you can rest your back on, but you also have some control about how far up and down they sit.

I mean, after all, office chairs are supposed to be ergonomic for being seated in for long periods of time.

However, I will say that if your goal is to make the transition between playing seatd and santing up seamless, office chairs might not be the right way to go.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-21-2023, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Like many others, my music room is also my computer room. I use a "gaming" chair that the arms fold up out of the way. Works great and is comfy. Kinda like this:

Comment

This one suffices for the moment.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

This is what I'm using ATM.
                            Attached Files
                            It's funny how some stories became historic,
                            especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
                            But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              Like many others, my music room is also my computer room. I use a "gaming" chair that the arms fold up out of the way. Works great and is comfy. Kinda like this:

https://www.staples.com/Staples-Gami...hoCEsIQAvD_BwE
                              That’s very similar to what I use as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X