banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to distribute double thick mags to the forum. Calling jeremy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time to distribute double thick mags to the forum. Calling jeremy.

More output, fatter, deeper, and less harsh. Although it doesn't sound to mute any highs.

Terrif for vintage wind because you get the openness from the coils but it fills it out and it's not just a clank.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 01-11-2020, 01:00 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I was expecting slightly more thorough answers on how to professionally magnetize humbucker magnets.
      I bought them for you

Comment

there are two common options, rare earth magnets or an electromagnet. not sure what else you wanna know?

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          I was expecting slightly more thorough answers on how to professionally magnetize humbucker magnets.
          A big part is verification. Getting a magnetic meter is the first step.

The methods above never led me to a "full" charge, but I didn't try too hard. If you have a meter you can verify. If the home methods give you the charge you want you don't have to care what is done in professional setups.

Overall I bet that pickup manufacturers just buy magnetized magnets and don't mess with them except for special operations.

Comment

Wondering if there is a device that I can buy that will charge fully and the poles in the right spot. If there's not, wondering what specific materials and procedures are required to diy.
            I bought them for you

Comment

I just finished up modding my A5 Pegasus 7 with a ceramic flank on the screw coil. I feel that I might get some degaussing issues sooner than later so I’m keeping my mind open to replacing the whole lot with a double thick A5 to get the output that I want. I got shorter hex screws initially to brighten it up. Then I swapped for an a8 and while it was interesting, it gave me less high end than I wanted and left this clanky sound in the midrange. So I feel that if this regular A5 plus ceramic flank doesn’t do it for me or changes the nature of the pickup too much, then I should try a double thick A5. With my 5/8 hexes, the screws shouldn’t really go much past the baseplate with what’s essentially a 1/4 inch magnet and spacers. I’m thinking that will keep everything brighter like I want.

Comment

Which brings me to ask, if we need double thick magnets, won’t we need 2 stacked metal spacers for the screw coil and a 1/4 inch plastic shim for the other coil for a typical screw/slug pickup? And possibly longer screws to mount the coils to the baseplate?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	AF39F432-B8C1-49D5-9896-50C2612BECA4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	5817976 I guess I figured out my own answer. This is the Duncan Distortion which uses a double thick ceramic. The screw coil spacer is just a standard one and the DD uses two double thick plastic spacers to stabilize the coils. I’ve read that they are just regular ones turned on the side though?

Comment

I had a double thick ceramic in a Dimarzio PAF and I didn't notice much difference between it and a single thickness ceramic that I used later.

Comment

Yes, the DD just has spacers on their sides. I was able to use the same bobbin securing screws. My bonded mag was slightly thicker so I stacked 2 spacers.

There's a bigger difference with alnico.
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        there are two common options, rare earth magnets or an electromagnet. not sure what else you wanna know?
                        That would be like if you asked me "please give me guidance on how to shape surfboards" and I told you "get a planer."
                        I bought them for you

Comment

put the magnet between the two poles of the electromagnet and turn it on... zap, the bar is charged.

at some point in the video he talks about magnetizing briefly

Comment

Thx
                            I bought them for you

Comment

I like the idea of double thick magnets, but I’m real curious about side by side bonded magnets even more. Two half wide magnets demagnetized, bonded together, and charged so one coil has one type while the other one has another. I’m experimenting with prs style coil switching with inner and outer coils and id love to be able to experiment with a virtual humbucker that has a completely different sound.

Comment

Could be cool. I have a (A5) 59n with A2 spacers and it sounds great.
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X