Home bass rig opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home bass rig opinions

I have a rumble 25 and it sounds decent at very low volumes but it starts to fall apart and sound kinda nasty
    I run the volume on full on the amp and set the bass volume to right before the amp starts to sound really tubby and metallic and honky. It's not very loud. Bass at probably 11 o clock, mids at 9, treble around 10 o clock. Passive pj bass with stock ceramic squier pickups. I like blues and blues rock and classic rock bass tones of all kinds.

Just need something little louder with clear clean sound so I can continue to learn, practice, and jam with drum tracks and stuff
    So something with headphones and aux in is nice

The rumble 40 is really good and I used to own one

Anything better for just jamming and learning? Is it worth getting something like a rumble 200 combo,
    Or like a portaflex and a 115 cab or 210av used or something

I mean Is it worth it to get the extra power now in case I ever find d00ds to jam with? Something that can run an extension cab for full power later? Or totes overkill for my garage?

What would y'all do. I don't wanna spend a lot of money so do I buy once cry once or just trade this 25 in for the 40 and call it good for a while and eventually get something better and louder when I need it?

Haven't checked local pawn shops in a while but there's no guitar center or anything like that for 200 miles.

Re: Home bass rig opinions

Not of any help, I am ampless for last 10 years. But do you have a powered PA cab at home? If so try it first. That's what I use, mine has aux-in so I can connect my tablet for backing tracks. My EV ZLX12P can handle a 5-string bass pretty loud and clean.

Comment

I have powered bookshelf speakers but they would not be louder than the rumble 25!

I have thought about going for a computer set up
      But my iPad is now so old that it can't update the iOS and most amp Sims that area worth it seem to want the latest os

And my laptop is running Linux so software options are limited!

Comment

personally i wouldnt get a bass amp less than 100w. for blues/rock the ampeg b100r is great, used one of those for a long time and always liked it. how much can you get for your rumble 25? how much is the rumble 40? my guess is the 40 might suit you for now but wont keep you happy for long

Comment

So, take it from another bass player. If you’re using headphones, turn it down. I started wearing hearing aids at age 35 for just that reason. I use a Scarlett solo unit to play with tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was going to suggest the rumble 40...but you already are aware.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              personally i wouldnt get a bass amp less than 100w. for blues/rock the ampeg b100r is great, used one of those for a long time and always liked it. how much can you get for your rumble 25? how much is the rumble 40? my guess is the 40 might suit you for now but wont keep you happy for long
              The rumble 25 was 99 new. So... I don't figure I'll get much from it really
              Used 40w is like $130 ish

Comment

Have you tried setting you're bass volume on full and adjusting the amp accordingly? I can never remember running any amp on full. One of my amps is a 30 watt practice amp; with the bass on full I never have the amp volume more than halfway and it's plenty loud for home use.
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1
                '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
                  Have you tried setting you're bass volume on full and adjusting the amp accordingly? I can never remember running any amp on full. One of my amps is a 30 watt practice amp; with the bass on full I never have the amp volume more than halfway and it's plenty loud for home use.
                  Yes, the 25w does not have a gain control, only one simple volume control

So what I've been doing is setting my bass so I don't hear any big change in color and sound from the preamp and then raise the volume until it's loud enough. With the bass volume up full, it really just seems to get farty and muddy much quicker on the volume and make me roll back the bass knob

I'd say it's... Just barely loud enough for home but it's not a great sound, to me anyways, not terribly experienced in bass but yeah

My bass is prolly 3/4 up most of the time

Are my pickups too close? They are further than my guitar single coil pickups for sure lol

Comment

a 25w bass amp is a toy. low frequencies take much more power to push than higher ones. the speaker probably isnt very efficient either which doesnt help. the 40 will be better but again, id never buy a bass amp less than 100w.

Comment

I played the Rumble 100, 200 and 500 and have owned the 200 and 500. If I was strictly playing at home, the 100 was cool. I seem to remember the 200/500 have some extra tone shaping the 100 doesn’t have. I ended up with the big ones because as others said, playing live you just need that power for punch, headroom and bass frequencies.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

You guys have helped a lot.
                        I have heard a loud rig of any quality turned down should still sound good so I will try to find my way into something 100 w or better

Also yeah the rumble 200 and 500 have the ability to do extension cabs but the 40 through the 500 have the same preamp, same buttons knobs and other stuff elsewise. Maybe it's the 200/500 have the horn switch

I want the rumble 200 because it does 140W out of the stock 15 which should do everything I need but develops full power with a second cab

The 200 is a big price jump even used though, they seem to hold value and light as they are, everyone selling one is charging like $50+ for shipping

Looked at b100r combos and they seem to be going around $250-275 plus shipping which is about the same as the Rumble 100 12" combo

Comment

longcat and I have a B50R that I found on CL for $50 with a couple minor issues; after getting it fixed I have around $100 in it.

It's 50W through a 1x12, so definitely not a serious gig amp. I play the occasional mostly acoustic coffee shop gig, and it should be plenty of volume for that. Our 'big' rig is an SVT III-Pro through a fEARful 12/6 cube.
                          Last edited by dystrust; 11-15-2019, 07:29 PM.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

the b100r is my favorite rootsy music bass amp. sounds great, is portable and has enough umph to get over a drummer

Comment

I use an old Peavey TNT 130 with an Aural Exciter in the loop.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X