Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is B.C Rich for real again?

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
    They're coming back in a big way. They just re-hired Neal Moser and are having him build custom shop USA models again. Neal and I used to talk on a BC Rich forum when I was like 13 and he's probably the reason I know more about electronics than playing guitar today, since that forum vanished and I ended up here to fill the void. I'm really considering having one made by him and pulling my guitar nerd career into a closed circle.
    Be ready for a $5000+ price tag!

Comment

Aceman: Better question: Does Korea make $1500 value guitars?
      Yes
      Guitars:
      2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)
      Amps: Orange Dual Dark 100, Dark Terror, Micro Dark, CR120, EVH 5153 50w
      Cabs:Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, EVH 4x12/2x12, Geezer 2x12 with v30's

Comment

New on European distribution: Apparently it will largely be done through Warwick's website (because Germany IS Europe, right?), and they will only actually buy guitars when they are already ordered. I don't know how the rules in Germany are, but it might be that you even hāve to pay before they can be arsed to send an order for a model. F for effort.

Comment

I see that there is talk of the Gunslinger being reissued. I hope that they make that one a late-80s throwback model, like the ones they did some years ago. That was the silver age of BC Rich, yet it is not represented in the current selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
            New on European distribution: Apparently it will largely be done through Warwick's website (because Germany IS Europe, right?), and they will only actually buy guitars when they are already ordered. I don't know how the rules in Germany are, but it might be that you even hāve to pay before they can be arsed to send an order for a model. F for effort.
            Just checked the prices for the Ironbird... € 1.700 is really too much for what it is. Not a smart move for the company.
            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

These are sitting absolutely top-of-the-market price-wise. The market won't sustain that for a brand with such a spotty history and historically low aftermarket resale value. These new models will be closing out at retailers for closer to half those listed prices due to slow sales in the next year, you watch.

It's not like B.C. Rich went away for 20 years and are *finally* being revived by the original crew with guitars people haven't been able to get their hands on for years. Instead, the company has been on various forms of life support for the past 30 years and has never rightfully died off. Their "legacy" was created in the late '70s to mid-'80s. They should bank on that.

I have a lot of respect for Neal Moser as a designer and builder, but they need to come out with some affordable "USA" models to really compete and regain market share. I have a feeling, with him onboard, the U.S. stuff will get really expensive. Their Korean-made offerings are already nearing the prices of many USA-made production models from other companies. I'm guessing the USA stuff will easily be double that, which puts them into ultra-premium territory.

I wonder what sort of market research they have done, if any? Despite the modern global infrastructure, internet, and vastly different landscape when it comes to guitars, B.C. Rich is one of the few companies that could look at what they were doing well in 1976-1988 and apply it to their current business model, especially where products are concerned. Trying to be the next Schecter or ESP LTD competitor isn't going to keep them afloat. They've tried that several times already and failed.

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                Their MIK neck-thru stuff has been great for a long time. Amazing for the price a few years back.
                Those models were an incredible value with great components and fret-material.
                My first (yes I bought 2!) wmd warbeast was $600 after the standard order discount.
                All those models were listing $699-$899 from the mid-2000s to the mid-2010s.
                I had a MIK Mockingbird NJ Classic from that era. I recall it being a little neck heavy, but otherwise the guitar felt great to play. The fretwork was superb and I'd agree that the components were pretty good. The stock pickups were terrible, but made fine paper weights once replaced. But damn, was that guitar naturally bright. Maybe it was just that particular chuck of wood(s), but I got tired of swapping the pickups and eventually sold it. Had the neck-though been mahogany instead of maple, I likely wouldn't have sold it. It sure played well and was quite the looker, though.
                Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                  That's what most official distributors do, at least here in Hungary. I got one of my Jackson Pro Series guitars from the local distributor, but man, was it a bad experience... Despite being official retailers, they only keep srock from the cheapest stuff. So I had to make an upfront payment of around 10% , they ordered if afterwards, had to wait three fokin months for the thing to arrive and basically made a blindfolded purchase on a 1000+ instrument. Had there been any hiccup I wouldve left it in tge shop, but when I asked them what if I dont like it when it arrives, they were rolling their eyes and making faces. And they blame it all on FMIC, "because they service us at the end of the queue" . Well guess what? Thats because you dont generate sales for them! 1000+ USD is around an average local monthly salary. People wont throwing that much at sellers blindfolded. At least have one of each model instead of stockpiling on the chinese crap, set them up well giving guys a chance to play the thing and then it will sell. No monthly payment plans either. Right now my only shot at a USA guitar is reverb, I just cant afford 3k in one sum. Spreading it out over a year or so, thats a different story..Oh yeah, and the hardcase took them another 3 months... Its just weird strategy from the shops. They are trying to be too safe with their investments and theyre shooting everbody in their foot in the process.

Comment

Their reputation among a lot of people my age seems to be the brand that made those junk Kerry King starter guitars. Maybe the older guys will remember their late 70s early 80s heyday and want to fork over a ton of cash for expensive models. I wouldn't. If they had a decent naturally finished mockingbird for $600 I'd bite. Maybe. All that abalone is tacky as hell, imo, and I'd never touch a guitar like that. Reminds me of LTD's EC1000 with the sunburst finish and JB/59 setup. Those guitars were great, but I couldn't stand the abalone.
                    "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. Boomers have all the guitars they want and those collections are starting to get sold off. That market is nearly dead.

If they pull off the re-launch they'll be selling to the next group of guys that were active in the 80's and never got the one they wanted. A second wave of historical buyer may exist, we'll find out.

They also brought back Neil Moser and Dan Lawerence, meaning they're going to have some American made stuff that has some throwback clout.

Will there be enough old shredders out there to buy them? I hope so! I have two B.C.'s and I love them both, metal is the last crop of electric guitar buyers. Rock might die (over exposed) but metal won't b/c it's too much fun to play, even if it's forever in the shadows.

Comment

I'd be guilty on being interested in a decent BC Rich Gunslinger... (NOT the crap ones though!!)

But damn the prices of guitars these day in general... I'd be happy if my wage got up as much gradually as the guitar prices to be honest.
                        "You can buy muscles (steroīds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

Originally posted by Cdwillis View Post
                          Their reputation among a lot of people my age seems to be the brand that made those junk Kerry King starter guitars. Maybe the older guys will remember their late 70s early 80s heyday and want to fork over a ton of cash for expensive models. I wouldn't. If they had a decent naturally finished mockingbird for $600 I'd bite. Maybe. All that abalone is tacky as hell, imo, and I'd never touch a guitar like that. Reminds me of LTD's EC1000 with the sunburst finish and JB/59 setup. Those guitars were great, but I couldn't stand the abalone.
                          Actually, after the expensive custom instruments of the 70s, and the Kerry King models of the 00s, you had the 80s, where they flooded the market with plywood sub $300 instruments. The hardware on that stuff was pretty bad.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Thundermtn View Post
                            They also brought back...Dan Lawerence

Comment

The absolute best thing they could do was to release a Gunslinger with one of the more tasteful Nagel graphics (I don't care if it is "in the style of" or if it is printed on). Now THAT would catch my interest.
                              Last edited by Sirion; 05-01-2020, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I got a deal on a Pro a few years back so I jumped on it. The electronics were crap so I gutted it, added Fralin SHO pickups and 50's wiring. I also upgraded the block on the trem. Now the thing sounds and plays like a beast but I would not expect to pull one off the shelve and have it where most of us would want it to be.

Comment

Working...
                                X