banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multimeter shows pots resistance instead of pickup resistance when connected to jack

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Multimeter shows pots resistance instead of pickup resistance when connected to j

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
    WTH is going on in here!
    Naked pickup & followed by a half naked guy covered in white paint hiding his face under the open sun 'cause he may or maynot be butt-naked.

Comment

Re: Multimeter shows pots resistance instead of pickup resistance when connected to j

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      It wasn’t necessary to take it apart and turn it into a 4-conductor if you are only adding coil splits to the wiring scheme. The GFS pickups you have were assembled ready to handle coil splits quite easily with no further modification. But if you want to learn how it all works, breaking it all down and having to fix it back up is one way to learn it very well.
      Boss. So i've tested each cable with DMM for mV jumps when i tap each coil with screw driver for magnet to create electrical curent.

Which cable is start and which cable is an end of each coil ?

GFS Crunch Pat (Bridge 14k)

Screw Coil -- Red wire - Positive DMM reading -

Screw Coil – Black wire - Negative DMM reading -

Slug Coil – Red wire – Negative DMM reading -

Slug Coil – Black wire - Positive DMM reading -

GFS Vintage 59 (Neck 8.0k)

Screw Coil -White wire – Positive DMM reading

Screw Coil -Black wire – Negative DMM reading

Slug Coil - White wire – Negative DMM reading

Slug Coil -- Black wire – Positive DMM reading

Comment

OMG!

Time for someone to close this thread.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          OMG!

Time for someone to close this thread.
          Please. "Step away from the humbucker!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tone Meister View Post
            Please. "Step away from the humbucker!"
            No way homie. I figured it out with DMM. This pickup will have 5 colored wires, color coded to SD color scheme in next few days. So will the other one.

Waiting for colored wires to arrive and surgery begins.

Comment

Originally posted by rango View Post
              No way homie. I figured it out with DMM. This pickup will have 5 colored wires, color coded to SD color scheme in next few days. So will the other one.

Waiting for colored wires to arrive and surgery begins.
              And then can we look forward to another thread asking which colored wires attach to which coil wires?

Comment

Or, after the surgery, can we be blessed by a thread which asks us to diagnose what went wrong?

Comment

Pickup manufacturers might as well use all black wire inside the pickup. That would be better practice then MESS they create now. Colors of wires inside pickup are useless and misleading.

DMM can not mislead me. This is how it's going to go down. Then i will wire it and test with amp.

Got rid of colors as they are absolutely useless. I will also test magnet polarity with compass as well.

I was also considering buying any used SD humbucker from ebay and do some revers engineering but doesn't look it will be necessary anymore due to DMM. If i run into issue that will be my next step.

5 wires:

Slug coil Positive DMM reading = North Start

Slug Coil Negative DMM reading = North Finish

Screw Coil Positve DMM reading = South Finish

Screw Coil Negative DMM reading = South Start

5th wire = Ground soldiered onto pickup shield. Kwikplug desoldered.

Last edited by rango; 10-31-2019, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Why are you using Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams and DMZ wire colors on a GFS pup?! You are setting yourself up for lots of confusion and problems down the road!

In order to avoid confusion later on, why don't you use either the GFS or the SD wire color scheme?!

Comment

Originally posted by rango View Post
                      Pickup manufacturers might as well use all black wire inside the pickup. That would be better practice then MESS they create now. Colors of wires inside pickup are useless and misleading.

"DMM can not mislead me." This is how it's going to go down. Then i will wire it and test with amp.

Got rid of colors as they are absolutely useless. I will also test magnet polarity with compass as well.

I was also considering buying any used SD humbucker from ebay and do some revers engineering but doesn't look it will be necessary anymore due to DMM. If i run into issue that will be my next step.

5 wires:

Slug coil Positive DMM reading = North Start

Slug Coil Negative DMM reading = North Finish

Screw Coil Positve DMM reading = South Finish

Screw Coil Negative DMM reading = South Start

5th wire = Ground soldiered onto pickup shield. Kwikplug desoldered.

How is your multimeter telling you which is the start wire and which is the finish wire of each coil?

Comment

This thread. It’s like Chinese water torture. Yet for some reason I keep being drawn in to check it out.

Comment

Colored wires are here. I have just checked with compass polarity of each humbucker magnet.

I have corrected one of the pickups to S.D standard. Both Humbuckers now have same north to south polarity and repel one another when screws or poles are faced to each other.

The wiring should take care of the rest, inphase, out of phase. The installation orientation will be screws out, slugs in so they still repel one another so two norths will be on inside.

Apparently comparing this to Epiphone/Gibson and GFS pickup that's not how neck polarity was setup. Haaa....interesting!

If this isn't correct please let me know. Thank you.
                          Last edited by rango; 11-01-2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                            Why are you using Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams and DMZ wire colors on a GFS pup?! You are setting yourself up for lots of confusion and problems down the road!

In order to avoid confusion later on, why don't you use either the GFS or the SD wire color scheme?!
                            He said he did the smart thing and got rid of wire colors, so as not to confuse and mislead. So apparently now they are all black wires and he’s going use a multimeter to determine start and end each time. What could go wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                              He said he did the smart thing and got rid of wire colors, so as not to confuse and mislead. So apparently now they are all black wires and he’s going use a multimeter to determine start and end each time. What could go wrong?
                              Indeed, what COULD go wrong!

Now he says he "corrected" ONE of the pups to SD color scheme. I assume he left the other as DMZ colors. ON GFS pups, no less!

Yes, indeed, what could possibly go wrong!?

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                                This thread. It’s like Chinese water torture. Yet for some reason I keep being drawn in to check it out.
                                It's more like slapstick comedy. Or a dramatic series on TV. Each episode ends with a "cliffhanger" so you can't wait to tune in to the next episode.

We humans now-a-days can't seem to get enough horror. It's why we slow down on the freeway when we pass an accident...not to be safe, but to see any possible blood and guts. Or a decapitated limb or head. We thrive on that possibility of experiencing horror.

Comment

Working...
                                X