banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multimeter shows pots resistance instead of pickup resistance when connected to jack

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Multimeter shows pots resistance instead of pickup resistance when connected to j

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
    It’s hilarious that this thread is now nothing but people ragging on the OP. Ha ha ha ha.
    It never was too much anyway. The OP wasn't the best listener I've ever encountered, which kept the thread from being short and sweet, which would have benefitted countless others who will undoubtedly stumble across it.

Comment

Re: Multimeter shows pots resistance instead of pickup resistance when connected to j

H8ters gonna h8t, tr0lls gonna tr0ll but guitar cavity is done with Jimmy's Page 50s style with PIO caps and Crunchy P8t is getting Alnico 8 magnet swap too in bridge. Might as well call this Custom 8 Crunchy P8t lol

Monster '59 Heritage Cherry Sunburst Gibson Les Paul Standard is gonna have massive tone.

Neck is going to stay stock Vintage 59 just rewired for coil splitting, in phase, out of phase.

Got the 2,3,5,8 magnets today. Pickups will be last to be rewired. Cavity is done, quadruple checked with wiring diagram of honest ppl like Breja Tone Works.

Clean soldering baby. Will measure at output jack with DMM once wired for in phase, out of phase resistance.

Last edited by rango; 11-13-2019, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Who did the wiring for you?
        Can't see the p/p lugs, but the ground connections look conservative enough with the solder (that's a good thing). Some look like they might be cold joints, however. You might want to re-flow the solder on those.
        What do you mean by..."once wired for in phase, out of phase"? From what I can tell, all the p/p pots are already wired.
        Also, what do you mean by..."out of phase resistance"? Putting a pup out of phase with another doesn't change the resistance. It only cancels out some of the tonal frequencies.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          Who did the wiring for you?
          Can't see the p/p lugs, but the ground connections look conservative enough with the solder (that's a good thing). Some look like they might be cold joints, however. You might want to re-flow the solder on those.
          What do you mean by..."once wired for in phase, out of phase"? From what I can tell, all the p/p pots are already wired.
          Also, what do you mean by..."out of phase resistance"? Putting a pup out of phase with another doesn't change the resistance. It only cancels out some of the tonal frequencies.
          You have no faith in me. I did the wiring. I must say those pots have smaller holes then i thought they did and i even ordered smaller 24 awg cable. 22 awg won't fit threw those holes. 26 awg would be better. There is no way one can do this inside the guitar with alpha pots. They're just too small and i already used magnifying googles.

I used flux paste on top of pots and sanded down top of them to create rough texture for solder to stick better, so there shouldn't be any cold joints. Also solder has 60/40 flux ration on top of that. I'll check for continuity with DMM on those joints. That's quick and simple.

In phase out of phase change resistance from what i've read like one decrease it and one increases it, i don't remember which one does which but if so then it will change resistance at output jack. This might have been in reference to splitting. I'm not there yet. I do things step by step, not everything at once. Have to do switch and pickups next.

Comment

Series vs parallel will change the resistance but changing the phase will not. In series resistances add. In parallel, they divide. Flipping the positive or negative of any one resistance in a passive DC circuit (phase) won’t change the total resistance.

Comment

FWIW, OOP changes the measured inductance.

"HTH".
              Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by rango View Post
                You have no faith in me. I did the wiring. I must say those pots have smaller holes then i thought they did and i even ordered smaller 24 awg cable. 22 awg won't fit threw those holes. 26 awg would be better. There is no way one can do this inside the guitar with alpha pots. They're just too small and i already used magnifying googles.

I used flux paste on top of pots and sanded down top of them to create rough texture for solder to stick better, so there shouldn't be any cold joints. Also solder has 60/40 flux ration on top of that. I'll check for continuity with DMM on those joints. That's quick and simple.

In phase out of phase change resistance from what i've read like one decrease it and one increases it, i don't remember which one does which but if so then it will change resistance at output jack. This might have been in reference to splitting. I'm not there yet. I do things step by step, not everything at once. Have to do switch and pickups next.
                Sanding joints and flux paste does not change the likelihood of cold joints. You have to have the iron really hot, and get on then off quickly. If the iron is hot and your technique is good, then you will get consistent high quality joints with no sanding or paste. If your iron is too cold then no added extras will help, and the join will be poor and the solder will clump - like I see on the tops of the push-pull casings.
                And you might have a connection now, but a cold joint will quickly disconnect under vibration.

And as has been said a few times by others.....in phase and OOP do not change pickup resistance, only output.

Hopefully this time some listening is done.

Comment

Originally posted by rango View Post

If you are using stranded wire, even a heavier gauge like 22, you can cut off some of the strands where it enters the lug (only leaving as many strands as will fit through the hole). It will not affect the current at all, but will make the wiring job MUCH easier with those tiny lugs on the p/p switches (not the "pots" themselves, those have pretty good sized holes in their lugs).

As was said...all the sanding, flux, and rosin in the world won't eliminate a cold joint if your iron isn't hot/powerful enough and if your technique isn't great.

"60/40" has nothing to do with "flux (ratio)"!! Where did you get that idea? The 60/40 is the tin to lead ratio of the solder, and you can have 60/40 solder with even NO rosin flux core.

Even with a cold joint, you may initially measure a good contact with your meter, but it may not remain consistent over time and usage giving you nightmare diagnostic problems down the road. Don't rely too much on your meter, it doesn't know everything. Just do the job right the first time.

Again, you're not paying attention. Phase DOES NOT CHANGE RESISTANCE. PERIOD!!! I don't know where "read" that but it is wrong! Or, most likely, you misread it. Series/parallel/ and split will change the resistance, but not phase. You're getting these concepts mixed up. Again (try to listen and understand this time), phase only changes the frequencies, and can change the inductance and perceived output or volume. Again, it doesn't change resistance.

Your head is full of crazy ideas that you need to start learning how to replace with more facts. We've been trying to help you do that but we are met with more resistance than 100,000 miles of 48 gauge wire.

You are the one who has no faith in all of us who are trying to help and teach you. Are you afraid your head is going to burst if you fill it with truth and facts instead of conjecture, assumptions, urban myths, and ignorance?
                  Last edited by GuitarDoc; 11-15-2019, 10:05 AM.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

What is "P8t"?

Comment

• Re: Multimeter shows pots resistance instead of pickup resistance when connected to j

This thread is epic. I didn't think to click cuz of the boring title, but then saw it had reached 5 pages and had to see what was up. Itsabass's comment is the best. WTH is going on in here! Lol.
                      Last edited by Clint 55; 11-16-2019, 12:52 AM.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

• Re: Multimeter shows pots resistance instead of pickup resistance when connected to j

Yeah, I think we are done here. Please move on.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                        X