X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIth Pickguard or without, need to decide

Originally posted by chadd View Post
    I'd go without. I prefer the more subtle top of the black quilt
    Black quilt without a pickguard isn't one of the current choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
      On these particular guitars I prefer the one with the pickguard. Similar reasons as NegativeEase - it just looks more "right"
      I agree, I think if the one without was HH instead of HSH it would look more "right".

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        Black quilt without a pickguard isn't one of the current choices.
        My bad, I meant with the pickguard. I'd be tempted to try a black pearloid at some point, too.

Comment

Yeah, been thinking about getting a custom pickguard made. Waiting for to get paid for something else, so I'll have to go through the offer thing again but I think the pickguard is the winner.

Comment

Looks very similar to my FGN; body binding, chrome hardware, maple laminate, coil split.

I don't know, there is something about that style that makes it doesn't feel right. Maybe the binding, or the maple laminate. Or the light-weight body. It looks good in picture but feels plasticky in person. Not gonna hijack your thread, so here's the link if you care to look:https://fgnguitars.com/collection/eg/JOS-FM-M.php

As for the poll, that one with a pickguard looks dead to me (gray and white). And if the pickguard is pearloid, absolute no no. Pearloid on flame is too much. Look like every single part is screaming for my attention.

So I opt for the one without a guard.

Comment

Doesn't look anything like that to me, but it's all ice cream. The FGN looks pretty nice, sorry yours isn't working for you, I do understand what you mean about feeling "plasticy", there are a lot of guitars out there today that feel that way to me. I'm not sure where they are made, but they could be built at the Fujigen factory. These are kinda know as SchAndersons, the are built more like the original Schecters were when Tom Anderson was there, which is probably why they aren't available in the US. I have played one, actually owned one of the older ones, that I traded for a RG655 because I was looking for something that played like my old rootbeer JEM, and I was wrong, I see the appeal of the new Prestige Wizard necks, but they are too thin and flat for me now. Turns out that was a mistake but I do like the new truss rod wheel so you don't have to remove the neck to adjust it. I played my old RB JEM for years, see my avatar, unfortunately had to sell it a couple of years ago, but giving giving up on the JEM search, the new ones don't do much for me and the white ones are are too white, and gold, and scream "VAI" just a little too loud. And the old rootbeer ones are either beat to death, or way too much $ if they are in good shape.

Oh, and yes the pickguard is pearl, it works on more subtle colors, IMHO, but again YMMV.
              Last edited by devastone; 04-14-2019, 11:30 PM.

Comment

I vote no guard which BTW puts your pole at 50/50 again.

Sorry....
                I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Gorgeous axe....hold the plastic please...no to the pick guard....

Comment

Actually, black quilt w/o pickguard is an option, just more $ (the Japanese prices are all over the place, above and below list)

Comment

So the poll tells me that as a collective, you guys can't decide either LOL!

Comment

I like it better with a pickguard.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I lean toward the version with the pickguard

But, that trans black without is pretty darn smexy

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                            Actually, black quilt w/o pickguard is an option, just more $ (the Japanese prices are all over the place, above and below list)

it just gets better...that is a killer guitar...only thing don't care for is the floyd rose whale tail thing....
                            here is a schaler FR...very clean...
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	ebmm bridge.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	5813631
                            Last edited by justFred; 04-15-2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Yes, the guitars look great, hence my indecision.

And yes, that Schaller(?) trem is clean, but I don't mind the Gotoh Floyd with the whale tail, not to mention the Schaller isn't an option. Guess I'm missing the point of posting that here.

Is this more to your liking? Wilkinson 300 series trem, but not sure if the fretboard is pau ferro or rosewood, and I'm not dealing with CITES, tried to figure it out for a guitar in the Netherlands and gave up.

Last edited by devastone; 04-15-2019, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I think it looks better neekid. Lose the pickguard.

Comment

Working...
                                X