Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big guitar tones

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    You're happy? I had to endure this as a job! Everyone wanted ONLY this from 94ish through the 00s
    Which had to contribute to the fall of guitar in popular music.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Which had to contribute to the fall of guitar in popular music.
      Before Dial norm type regulations, these 90s TV and FM stations would compress and expand and excite the crap out of all those songs that were already redlined on the recording and I hated the way they sounded doubly or triply compressed and processed.

Whoever was louder won the war on FM and TV
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Before Dial norm type regulations, these 90s TV and FM stations would compress and expand and excite the crap out of all those songs that were already redlined on the recording and I hated the way they sounded doubly or triply compressed and processed.

Whoever was louder won the war on FM and TV
        It was really hard to listen to, even as a guitar fan. Also, I can only listen to big sounding power chords for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by AmirH View Post
          The posts above nailed it, but one more tip I can add to the conversation is to try combining multiple amps while multi-tracking. A British gain for the upper mids and a Boogie to fill out the low mids can sound absolutely crushing.
          So true. Ever since I learned to effectively blend different amps for each guitar track, I've never looked back. I'll use a minimum of two per guitar track. I've gone a little crazy lately blending as many as 3-5 amps (and that's with multi-mic setups) which is really fun for experimenting but it can get a bit much and I'll scale it back to make room for everything else in the final mixes. Lately the winning combo has been a modern sounding preamp with really clear mids for the "main" tone, some boogie for the big low end and a dash of Marshall for some rattier high mids.
          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DFB0AAC5-26CF-4528-A324-E1FCED21D981.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	5818121

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]103092[/ATTACH]
              dude, this made me laugh extremely violently.

The truth is always funnier.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

dude, this made me laugh extremely violently.

The truth is always funnier.
                Me too. And that couple is sitting around right now saying 'You know, they don't make music like they did in 1999 anymore...'

Comment

She sells essential oils and healing crystals to supplement her income as a massage therapist. Drives a jacked up Silverado with a pink BROWNING sticker in the back window.

He owns a roofing company and enjoys filming his wife with other men. Drives a jacked up Silverado with a camo BROWNING and Salt Life sticker in the back window.

Their son’s name is Kyle. He wants to ride dirtbikes for Monster and drinks 8/day.

Their favorite band is Hinder.

Comment

She sells essential oils and healing crystals to supplement her income as a massage therapist. Drives a jacked up Silverado with a pink BROWNING sticker in the back window.

He owns a roofing company and enjoys filming his wife with other men. Drives a jacked up Silverado with a camo BROWNING and Salt Life sticker in the back window.

Their son’s name is Kyle. He wants to ride dirtbikes for Monster and drinks 8/day.

This would be a sitcom I would watch.

Comment

All you gotta do is go to your local bar and people watch.

Comment

You've really got your pulse on the zeitgeist of a generation

Comment

All you gotta do is go to your local bar and people watch.
                          Absolutely, the bars here are full of people like that. But as a sitcom, I can safely point and laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Me too. And that couple is sitting around right now saying 'You know, they don't make music like they did in 1999 anymore...'

HAHAHHAHAHA
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Bud Light jokes never get old.

Another thing that could be adding to that fullness at the end of that Hinder song is the acoustic guitar is still strumming away under the heavy guitars. I've used that trick on some tracks and love the result.

Comment

This thread is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X