Peavey Triumph 60...good amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Triumph 60...good amp?

Anbody have any comments about this amp?..Good, bad, neutral?

It is a 1 x 12 combo and it weighs a ton (50 pounds)

I can get one for about $285.00 U.S. at the local music store. Reasonable price?

Thanks

Dave
    Last edited by greco; 02-23-2007, 08:50 PM.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I got some lake front property in the desert. How much money you got?

Re: Peavey Triumph 60...good amp?

There were two power levels--a 60 and a 120-watt power section using either two or four 6L6s; with an all tube preamp. They are "three" channel, with CLEAN, CRUNCH, and ULTRA GAIN modes; and a single set of tone controls, and reverb. They came in a head version, as well as combos. The Triumph 60 Combo used the ubiquitous Peavey 112 Scorpion square-frame speaker; and the Triumph 120 used a even heavier-duty 112 Scorpion Ultra. These amps were usually finished in brown with bronze/gold trim.

There is a later version called the Triumph PAG 60/120, usually found in black/silver/blue trim. PAG stood for "Parallel Axis Geometry"--a Peavey patented method of mounting the pre-amp tubes in order to reduce noise and microphonics. The tubes, instead of being mounted vertically in a typical amp, are mounted horizontally along the axis of the speaker. This was intended to reduce vibration, and increase the longevity of the preamp tubes.

The power sections of these amps is a tried and true design that Peavey used in many models of amps, and it should be very reliable. Often you can find non-working Peavey amps at extreme discounts--and usually it is a simple matter of new tubes and replacing internal fuses. Unless you are considerably experienced with high voltage circuits, you should have a professional technician service your amp. These voltages are LETHAL.

I have always liked the Triumph amps, though I often found the CRUNCH and ULTRA modes to be noisy. Peavey amps often have a more limited frequency response than Fenders, not quite as much high-end "airiness"--and not as much deep bass. Like the Mesa Mark III Series, they are a lead player's amp with a focused mid-range tone. These amps should take pedals well, and the Triumph may even have a rudimentary EFX loop. They will produce a variety of tones, and the Triumph 120 is a very ferocious and formidable amp. Ear protection is definitely recommended!

The Triumphs were popular amps for many professional and weekend warrior musicians. One of the hot set-ups was the head version mounted on a compact vertical 212 Scorpion-loaded cabinet. Peavey's cabinet work was always very good, and you occasionally see one of these 212 cabs in the hands of a savvy player.

The target of the Peavey Triumph Series was of course, Mesa Boogie's renown Mark III amp. I personally own two of the Mark IIIs, and while I am a fan of Hartley Peavey and many of his amps--I prefer my Mark IIIs. Keep in mind, the Mark III sold for at least TWICE the price of the Triumph. If it is anything, the Triumph was a terrific value.

Like any amp, try it...and if you like it--go for it!

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Nice write up Bill. I was just going to comment that I think the Triumph series from Peavey was thier first high gain series of tube amps which led to the Bravo, Ultra, Triple X, and JSX (not sure if the Bravo or the Triumph came first).

Peavey make decent amps, but they are more mid range than others. They don't quite have the upper mid bite of a Marshall nor the low mid syrup of a Mesa - they are almost right in between.

You should be able to get them a little lower in price.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Thank you for your comments and detailed descriptions. I appreciate you taking the time.

This amp is one of the PAG series.

Interesting that the price might be a bit high.

Dave
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I got some lake front property in the desert. How much money you got?

Comment

Originally posted by Binnerscot View Post
          Nice write up Bill. I was just going to comment that I think the Triumph series from Peavey was thier first high gain series of tube amps which led to the Bravo, Ultra, Triple X, and JSX (not sure if the Bravo or the Triumph came first).

Peavey make decent amps, but they are more mid range than others. They don't quite have the upper mid bite of a Marshall nor the low mid syrup of a Mesa - they are almost right in between.

You should be able to get them a little lower in price.
          Both the XXX and the JSX are not really evolutions of the Triumph 60/120 but are similar in basic design with all guitar amp, including the XXX and JSX that use 12AX7/ECC83 in the preamp and 6L6GC/EL34/KT-xx/6CA7 in the power amp. Both the XXX and the JSX are both 5150s with variations in the front ends (preamp). When Eddie Van Halen left Peavey to start EVH Amps he got to take the “5150” brand name with him. Peavey then started using the name XXX for their updated (three channel) 5150 amp series. When Satriani joined Peavey they tweaked (reconfigured) the XXX, three-channel preamp to Joe’s liking and renamed it the JSX. When Joe didn’t renew his contract in 2005 with Peavey and returned to Marshall, they went back to the original XXX preamp and renamed it the 6505 in honor of their 50th anniversary (1965-2005). The 6505 is now and will likely remain Peavey’s flagship guitar amp model for many years to come. Joe did claim that the JSX with KT-77s (using the “clean” channel”) with everything cranked up to 11 and sweeten up a bit with a TS-808 (Keeley) sounded exactly like his vintage 100-watt Marshall Plexi, which is the holy grail of guitar amps. I saw Joe last year in Tampa and he was using two Marshall Plexi with “412 full stacks” (1960s) and two Marshall “412 full stacks (1960s)” that had JSX heads on them.

Comment

Originally posted by InlayUSA View Post
            Both the XXX and the JSX are not really evolutions of the Triumph 60/120 but are similar in basic design with all guitar amp
            I know this an old post but I was looking for info on one for sale in my local on CL. The XXX and the JSX are indeed evolutions of the Triumph. They all three are called the "Ultra" series tube amps and all three have three channels called, "Clean", "Crunch" and "Ultra". All three amps were designed by James Brown.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultra-Gain View Post
              I know this an old post but I was looking for info on one for sale in my local on CL. The XXX and the JSX are indeed evolutions of the Triumph. They all three are called the "Ultra" series tube amps and all three have three channels called, "Clean", "Crunch" and "Ultra". All three amps were designed by James Brown.
              Great sounding amps. Check out the channel switching and do NOT buy one with the foot switch unless it's dirt cheap. You can not access all the channels without the correct foot switch. The channel switching is the weak point on those amps and absolutely NEVER unplug those foot switches with those amps on!!
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
              X