I've experienced a "Blackout"!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I've experienced a "Blackout"!

Evan, I understand the Blackouts are coming out in neck & bridge versions. What I want to know is if the two pups are essentially the same pup but calibrated for their given positions or are they both different in tone similar to how a EMG 81 and 85 are different from each other? Can either Blackout pup be used in any position?

This thread should be made into a sticky so as to keep people aware of the new Duncan pickup coming out!
    Last edited by Darth Nihilus; 04-18-2007, 04:03 AM. Reason: added final comment

Comment

"The “other” USA-made active humbuckers use unbalanced inputs in a differential preamp. The problem is, an unbalanced differential preamp is not very effective at cancelling hum. Our engineers figured out how to capture the tone that players want in an active design, but using balanced inputs. The result is 12dB to 14dB less noise, plus more lows, more highs, and more output. Simply put, Blackouts have more tone than other active pickups."

How want less mid? Thats a big disappointment.

Comment

The neck and bridge Blackouts are very different pickups with different magnets.
        Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Damn, I've actually been avoiding buying a couple of EMG (81/85) equipped guitars that I liked simply because they could do Metallica very well but not much more.

Every EMG equipped guitar I ever tried with the Exception of a Vigier (that simply sounded too heavy, if you can imagine that) sounded... well, yes, the tried word is sterile, the distorted sound was dull and the cleans were ever worse...

This may very well turn the tables!

Evan, one or two questions if you will, could you tell us how it sounds clean?

Thanks, can't wait to listen to it!

EDIT: Never mind the specs, found them (duh )
          Last edited by KeeperOS; 04-18-2007, 08:58 PM.
          Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
          I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
          Originally posted by That90'sGuy
          Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

It wasn't a matter of tone per say, they were dull, too stiff, only producing one tone, I am not certain but the "less compressed" attribute sounds good to me, anyway, I'll listen to them and decide I guess!
            Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
            I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
            Originally posted by That90'sGuy
            Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Evan, what do you mean by saying they have different magnets? Doesn't the tone comparison chart say they both have Alnico 5 bars?

In fact, I was a bit surprised when I saw that besause I knew that 81 used ceramic and 85 used alnico (I dunno if it is a 5 or a 2).
              Guitars (from favorite to less favorite):Parker Fly Deluxe, "Frankenstrat":B.C.Rich neck+Shamray CS body, Orville by Gibson Black Beauty Reissue, Steinberger GSXSTD

Pickups I currently own: Custom wound pickups a la Dimarzio VPAF/VHPAF with mismatched coils and Alnico2 magnets, Shadow SH-EQ5, SH-663 actives, Gibson '57 Classics and Burstbuckers

Pickups I tried and sold: SD Hot Rails, Invader, Gibson 496R, 500T, EMG 89, 89R, Dimarzio AirNorton, Norton, ToneZone, AirZone, Parker Fly Customs.

Comment

The tone chart is wrong. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. It should say that the bridge uses ceramic and the neck uses alnico (I hope I didn't get that backwards).

I'll fix it.

Comment

Any word on the 7 string versions?

Comment

wow those suckers must be good...i don't really like EMGs though...

Comment

Originally posted by 3nz View Post
                      wow those suckers must be good...i don't really like EMGs though...
                      The EMG's 707's in my new Schecter Loomis are wearing thin on me. Not even as full as my other guitars equipped w/ C5's. I need Blackouts soon!

Comment

Are the blackouts available yet?

I'm dying to try these out in my explorer.

I've already got an ESP and a Les Paul with EMG's... The blackouts sound like a nice alternative to EMG's. Hopefully they will have more "feel" to them...
                        If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                        DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Dude, I'm pissed. I was first told we would get the Blackout this April, then May and now I heard they won't be out 'til ........AUGUST!!!

What the hell. Is Japan having trouble getting these things out?
                          Last edited by Darth Nihilus; 05-13-2007, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Now, when do we get the 'expander modules' to go with these babies? Or will the EMG ones work with them? That's what makes EMG work for me, because as you must know by now, I don't have the love for standard tone controls.

As for EMG being sterile. I guess it is down to which Pu you use, what you play, and how you process it. Whether that's just straight into an amp or through FX or a board. Anyway I like both the EMG sound and SD's I've heard too.

That said, the tone I get from my SA's stands out above my current stock pick-ups, however I plug and play, and I am looking forward to getting my SD's in other guitars.
                            "Well, if I knew I probably had to play this song for the rest of my life, I probably would have written something else! ...But it's too late you're stuck with this one" Joe Walsh on 'Rocky Mountain Way'
                            Churchill - "Democracy is the worst form of Government. Except for all the others!"

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Nihilus View Post
                              Dude, I'm pissed. I was first told we would get the Blackout this April, then May and now I heard they won't be out 'til ........AUGUST!!!

What the hell. Is Japan having trouble getting these things out?
                              Japan? Blackouts are made in Santa Barbara (PCB made in China).

Anyway, the first sets will start shipping before the end of May.

BTW, besides Dino Cazares, we're about to announce a MAJOR new artist who ditched his old active pickups for Blackouts, after 30 minutes of playing them. Watch this space.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
                                BTW, besides Dino Cazares, we're about to announce a MAJOR new artist who ditched his old active pickups for Blackouts, after 30 minutes of playing them. Watch this space.
                                Is it ZAKK WYLDE? I know that you won't answer, but only this player can produce a major impact if he goes away from EMGs to you. Then EMG really has to be afraid of you guys! During all his career it was evident that ZAKK's tone=EMG. So a lot of players started playing EMGs because of him, and most of them would likely follow him to Seymour Duncan.
                                Guitars (from favorite to less favorite):Parker Fly Deluxe, "Frankenstrat":B.C.Rich neck+Shamray CS body, Orville by Gibson Black Beauty Reissue, Steinberger GSXSTD

Pickups I currently own: Custom wound pickups a la Dimarzio VPAF/VHPAF with mismatched coils and Alnico2 magnets, Shadow SH-EQ5, SH-663 actives, Gibson '57 Classics and Burstbuckers

Pickups I tried and sold: SD Hot Rails, Invader, Gibson 496R, 500T, EMG 89, 89R, Dimarzio AirNorton, Norton, ToneZone, AirZone, Parker Fly Customs.

Comment

Working...
                                X