This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kinman Mod -- killer for P90's and humbuckers too

Yep ... I only have it in some of my guitars ... the ones that get too thin when I turn the volume down. I don't think any of them have the same exact caps/resistors. It's all to taste ... what sounds good ... it's just an option.

Comment

refreshing thread, informative and away from the usual "what pup for doom rock" Nice, thanks guys
      Yeah!

Comment

How are you guys positioning these things physically. I'm about to put mine in (thanks to Bungalowbill) but by the time you join the 2 you have this long thing thats has to be bent pretty well to hit each lug? It seems like I'm going to have this funny thing either sticking up or bent around in some way not to hit other pots. If I add wire to it , it seems like I'd be creating this dongle of a thing. Am I just not picturing a nice neat way to do this?

Comment

i tried the mod and didnt like it. it seemed to turn the volume control into an on/off switch (from 0-1 was nearly an 100% jump in volume)

Comment

Originally posted by kjrocks View Post
            How are you guys positioning these things physically. I'm about to put mine in (thanks to Bungalowbill) but by the time you join the 2 you have this long thing thats has to be bent pretty well to hit each lug? It seems like I'm going to have this funny thing either sticking up or bent around in some way not to hit other pots. If I add wire to it , it seems like I'd be creating this dongle of a thing. Am I just not picturing a nice neat way to do this?
            Garrett, I did cover that in heat shrink for ya, didn't I?....(I thought I did) Solder one end to the 1st lug of your volume pot, then bend it to fit so you can solder to the 2nd lug. The heat shrink will prevent anything shorting out.
            Originally posted by tone4days
            we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Originally posted by bungalowbill View Post
              Garrett, I did cover that in heat shrink for ya, didn't I?....(I thought I did) Solder one end to the 1st lug of your volume pot, then bend it to fit so you can solder to the 2nd lug. The heat shrink will prevent anything shorting out.
              Yes you did cover it. That was my first thought Joe , but one leg is short and the other is not long enough to bend all the way back and reach. I dont think I should bend it in the middle of the shrink tube and if I add a piece of wire for length it seems like it might be a little floppy. Anyway I'm going to dig it all back out now and take another look and get it in somehow. Its definitely not the biggest problem I've ever faced

Comment

Originally posted by kjrocks View Post
                Yes you did cover it. That was my first thought Joe , but one leg is short and the other is not long enough to bend all the way back and reach. I dont think I should bend it in the middle of the shrink tube and if I add a piece of wire for length it seems like it might be a little floppy. Anyway I'm going to dig it all back out now and take another look and get it in somehow. Its definitely not the biggest problem I've ever faced
                Bend it the middle..you won't break it.
                Originally posted by tone4days
                we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

That'll make life easier. I wasnt sure how it was connected under there

Comment

Originally posted by larry_emder View Post
                    i tried the mod and didnt like it. it seemed to turn the volume control into an on/off switch (from 0-1 was nearly an 100% jump in volume)

Double check the values on the resistor. Seems like I remember getting that once and found out I was way off on the resistor ... picked up the wrong one. So just double check both cap and resitor values just to be sure. Done correctly, it is a very minor change ... nothing that major should happen.
                    Last edited by doveman; 07-01-2007, 10:11 AM.

Comment

"it's not magic" are you sure about this?

Comment

Done! A quick bend and a touch of the iron and its in.Hopefully I'll get the pickguard on the guitar tonight. This has my new Zhang pups and the mod now and I havent played either yet. I also put in the Callaham blend plot for the neck pup with the bridge.

Comment

VAULT!! Please, I'll need to dig this thread back up in a few months.
                          "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

If anyone cares this worked out really well for me and is really surprising just how well it works. Give it a shot the next time you're under the hood.

Comment

+1

Comment

Please, can someone put up a diagram of this mod?

Comment

Working...
                                X