Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Burstbucker pro's (alnico V) review:

Originally posted by Young Angus
    Okay, so for those who dont know i recently got my new les paul standard equipped stock with alnico V burstbucker pro pickups.

Im used to playing with my jackson which has a JB in the bridge which is a mighty thick sounding and great pickup, and when i first compared the LP its bridge pickup sounded weaker and thinner...but it had a more open quality about it too which was better for clean stuff but at first i didnt think it would be better for distorted stuff.

But before i get into the gainy stuff ill talk quickly about the cleans...they sound terrific! The neck has a fat warm tone which is great for full sounding jazzy stuff. The jazzy chords sound full and just ring out beautifully.

The middle position clean has a beautiful air about it while still retaining the warmth of the neck pickup, and sounds just great for big clean chords of all sorts as well as slightly springy bluesy stuff...just has this cool vibe about it.

And the bridge on clean is much more focussed than the others, and i found it had a little less output level than the other positions but this may have been due to it not being high enough to the strings although surely that shouldhave been set right at the factory. Its got a fair bit of bite to it this bridge pickup, and with the wrong amp settings can come across pretty harsh and ice picky, but give the amp a bit of a kick in the guts with a little more gain perhaps (or in my ENGL's case a sensitivity button which is like a boost button and gives the amp a bit more oomff) and this pickup roars through the right rig. Think the intro to paradise city on the gunners tokyo 1992 tour where slash is playing some nice clean chords with the bridge pickup of his les paul, and then he reaches for the volume knob of his guitar and cranks it all the way up and starts playing the paradise city intro chords which are clean with a touch of break up....mmmm

Okay, on to the distorted sounds...for those of you keeping up
    I tried the BB Pro bridge close to the strings but found the best position at a little more than 3/32" from the strings with the last fret depressed. Fattened right up and sound thick and rich. Right now some of the best tones I've ever achieved are with my bone stock LP Standard with BB Pros. We do clean to modern heavy. You should be fine with the right.

My stock LP is FAR from bright. I'd say it sounds a lot like Jerry Cantrell's tone on his latest solo CD if I had to make a comparison.

I've tried the C-5, Custom, and Rio BBQ in this guitar. The BB Pro seems made for this ax.

Trust me.....try lowering the pickup height a little.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The BB pros sound smooth, thick, and rich in my LP.

One noticable change I made was adding a light weight aluminum tail piece. It really rounded out the tone and added some mids!!!!

Doc noted that the screw coils are dominating the slug coils so I set my screw coils in low and barely visible from the side of the pickup so they are flush if not lower than the slugs. Sounds amazing!

When I first bought the guitar....I had the pickups way up and radiused the screws.......this was terrible!

To summarize the biggest changes I made to get this stock LP sounding great is to lower the pickups to over 3/32" (bridge) and over 4/32" (neck) from the strings, lowered the screw pole pieces, and installed an aluminum tail piece. (so I guess it isn't totally stock)
    Last edited by papersoul; 07-07-2004, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bryvincent
      well i'm not that familiar with the pros with a5s i only played it for a day when i swap the mags i just dont like pickups with a5s they tend to sound hard.but i can say that it sounded warmer and smoother with sweeter highs after the swap but not as smooth as a 57 classic,it still has that bite without being ice-picky or glassy, a lttle bit more mids and the low end is just a little bit looser.for me it sounds very good better than with the a5s, at least for blues and rock. for metal i think the a5 BB pros are better, its very good for palm muting rhythms and randy rhoads type solos.

The warmest and smoothest A5 pickup is the Rio Grande BBQ or Texas....at least to my ears. I agree about AII magnets though. I really like the Classic 57.....but I am finding the BB Pro just as smooth and warm.

Comment

Hey L',

Yeah gibson is hardly consistent. In fact on the bottom plate of mine the initials of the winder is written. Both sets by different people, and the one done by p.s. that came stock in my R8 was way better than the one that came stock in my R7. In fact I waited for quite a long time before installing my timbuckers into that R8.

Anyway, that kinda inconsistence is somewhat cool as well. But not when buying a new pickup. Thus I cannot recommend anybody to buy them, some are really great, yet some are less than satisfactory. Consistency is a virtue, somebody has to tell that to gibson.

Regarding the PG's well I happened to buy/trade more than a dozen of them. Kept the ones I like most to my self, DUH! Anyway, in all of those trades and purchases the hottest PGb (not PG+) that I came across is a 8.35K one. I do trust my meter, and reads the same values (measured in standard room temperatures, without touching the pickup and all) as those on my antiquities. +-0.02K off, not a big deal. Mine is an expensive digital one, measuring all sorts of what not.

Anyway, thus I don't trust that 8.50K average given in the SD website. It is rather lower. Among the ones I kept, only one is for the bridge, measuring 8.35K. Another one I would never let go is a 8.00K PGb. As you can imagine I am using it in the neck. All the PGn's I have seen measured less than 7.40K. So that 8.00K PGb is like a custom shop order, if you see what I mean!

BTW I love my 8.75K PG+ that came stock in my lone star strat.

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

hey both my BB pros were done by p.s. too
          2006 Gibson Custom '58 Reissue Les Paul

1991 Orville Les Paul Custom

2009 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster 50s

Comment

Originally posted by bryvincent
            hey both my BB pros were done by p.s. too
            Cool! Whoever he/she is deserves our respects!
            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

So in average DC resistance look's like they line up like this:
              PGn
              BB1, BB Pro n
              BB2, BB Pro b
              PGb
              BB3

Papersoul, I'm surprised you're not looking for a hotter bridge PU.

B, Can you get individual coil values of any of your PGs so we can see SD's offset ratio? They seem brighter than BBs but that may be the higher DC resistance.

I taped over my labels before waxing but my initials dissipated anyway.

Chuck
              Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning
                So in average DC resistance look's like they line up like this:
                PGn
                BB1, BB Pro n
                BB2, BB Pro b
                PGb
                BB3

Papersoul, I'm surprised you're not looking for a hotter bridge PU.

B, Can you get individual coil values of any of your PGs so we can see SD's offset ratio? They seem brighter than BBs but that may be the higher DC resistance.

I taped over my labels before waxing but my initials dissipated anyway.

Chuck
                I know what you mean about a hotter bridge pickup but I am learning to allow the amp to do more of the work. I can't begin to explain the rich and thick tones I am getting. No lie, so smooth and rich from clean to heavy metal.
                The C-5 sounded a little thin in this guitar and the Rio Grande BBQ seemed like it wasn't working either, but I am finding this guitar is perfect with the stock pots from Gibson.

Comment

Papersoul, Do you use different patches when you change guitars?
                  Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Lightning
                    Papersoul, Do you use different patches when you change guitars?
                    Yes, although I used to try to have all my guitars sound the same but that was stupid. I now rather allow each guitar to be itself and adjust the amp accordingly which is great and I should have done it sooner.

Sometimes I wish I could fine a pickup almost identical to the BB Pros but a tiny bit hotter.

I have been investigating the Pearly Gates, Seth Loverm, and Gibson Angus.

Comment

Papersoul ck this thread out

All my bridges are loaded 12 to 16k right now. If I don't settle there I know that's two pickups to come back to.

Chuck
                      Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

LOVE this these pickups. With a 300K volume pot and the all 500Ks in the neck, these are great pickups, very clear and articulate, almost single coil like clarity, nice punch and presence.

Comment

Originally posted by bryvincent View Post
                          so basically i now have a BB1 and a BB2
                          according to all the info i researched this is true. the pros are A5 and wax potted version #2's. i have a BB#2 that is off a 58 VOS and it is wax potted as are all the factory installed BB's in the last few years so if i put a A5 in my #2 it will be the BB pro exact
                          i was considering selling it but i have been finding out some very interesting things about the BB's that are taken from VOS les pauls so i may keep it around so i dont have to buy one of these!
                          Last edited by Ed Hunter; 04-13-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Good review on the Bursts. The one thing not sure if you stated in the comparison if the coils were exposed on both the Burst and JB. This one is a biggie in my mind because the covers can cut almost 15% in output tonal EQ. The covers change the magnetic field, probably why most of the heroes would pull the covers off in the days before our hero Seymour made the first spiced up replacement pickup.

One good remedy has been EB cobalt strings, a little over the top for exposed coils but work well with PAF types.
                            cool review
                            Shannon Gaudio

Comment

Great pickups! I just reinstalled mine.

By the way, what is a darkness tone or darkness lead? Do you mean a dark, less bright tone?

Originally posted by Young Angus View Post
                              The neck, like its clean tones, is nice and thick and fat under gain, but hasnt sounded muddy to me yet. It sings on the high gain settings and really sustains well. Likewise the middle position has a little bit of that airy open feel to it (like its clean tone surprise surprise), and is great for the lower to medium gain stuff...for example i was jamming to some SRV stuff with it and it had a great vibe to it for that kind of stuff, really brings your feel through in the sound i thought.

As for the bridge, the first thing i noticed as i said above was that it wasnt as thick as the JB in my jackson, but then i started fiddling around with my amp settings. While the burstbucker has a more open natural feel to it than the JB and a lower output, in the les paul because its such a better guitar it had a tone to it that i just liked better...but it didnt seem as thick still. Then i started playing some darkness on it and for the lead stuff put a small amount of extra distortion in the signal chain to turn on for solos from my dave ulbrick distortion pedal, and it just had a more authentic sound i guess than the JB jackson. I dont doubt that the jackson would still be a better guitar for all out metal and shred, but the burstbucker LP sounded much more like that real chunky les paul marshall vibe (surprise surprise) that i, like lots of you, have always loved! And even without the boost from the pedal it still sounded thick as with the right amount of gain and still got heaps of great singing harmonics...and with the boost...WOW...lookout Darkness! Im finding it hard to come up with the right words to describe it, but it sounded great! The easiest thing for me to compare it to right now (because i was jamming to them with it) is the darkness tones. Through my ENGL i got a really awesome darkness type rhythm and lead tone, and with the extra boost from my pedal i got an even creamier tone for all those thick darkness lead bits...but it wasnt as fuzzy as the darkness tone could sometimes be it was definitely smoother. It sounded huge, and i saw that even though the pickup wasnt as thick as a JB, with the right blend of amp and pedal gain i could get it sounding as thick as i wanted.

In conclusion for those who have bothered reading all the way to the end of this, i wont be rushing to swap out these pickups...they rock! (and jazz )

Thanks for reading, damn that took me ages to write!

Comment

Responding to a nine-year old thread?

REALLY??????

Comment

Working...
                                X