banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compressor...before or after a distortion pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor...before or after a distortion pedal?

Where is a good place to put a compressor in the chain...and why?
    My Soundclick page.

Re: Compressor...before or after a distortion pedal?

The compressor is usually second in the guitar pedal chain after wah pedals. Compressors are amplifiers; that means they can increase the content of whatever is before them in the signal path. If they are placed after noisy things like overdrives, they will add even more noise. Plus, a compressor placed before an overdrive can fatten up the distortion by increasing the signal going into the overdrive pedal. Many players use compressors just to compensate for the low output of single coil pickups.

Taken from:

Comment

And some are more slow and saggy than others...put it first or after a wahbah as said above!

Comment

or experiment, and settle where you like it most....Music is ART after all!
        Yeah!

Comment

i have a ross clone that i built and its actually the last thing in my chain, mostly because i like the way it sounds there and it really isnt too noisy at all and partly because i havent replaced the volume pedal that i broke ages ago, lol
          Originally posted by Empty Pockets
          yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

It varies on use. If you want a "steady" signal hitting the disotortion pedal use it before. If you want dynamics when you hit the distortion pedal use it afterwards. Keeley has a nice discussion of it.

Next-Generation Guitar Pedal Effects, Designed and Built in the USA
            Last edited by drpietrzak; 06-05-2007, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Whenever I have similar ?s I look at multi-effects units. Do a Google search for a Boss ME-50 or similar. The way it's laid out you can see the logical order of effects. In the case of the ME-50 it's EQ --> Compression --> Noise Gate --> Reverb --> Overdrive/Distortion --> Modulation effects --> Delay.

Comment

What if you are like me, and put you OD before whah? and what do you do to get the increased sustain from a compressor with out it giving that "choke the tone" that is often associated with a comp.
                Active Duty Rig:
                MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

I got into effects as a result of listening to Gilmour's stuff, and always put them first in my chain.
                  "Well, if I knew I probably had to play this song for the rest of my life, I probably would have written something else! ...But it's too late you're stuck with this one" Joe Walsh on 'Rocky Mountain Way'
                  Churchill - "Democracy is the worst form of Government. Except for all the others!"

Comment

Mine is first in the chain, and always on
                    And is a rehoused one as well.
                    Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 06-05-2007, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys, great stuff as always!
                      My Soundclick page.

Comment

I use mine in front of my amp (I use amp distortion) so my chain goes:

Wah > eq > noise gate > compression > delay > amp

I have tremolo and flange in the loop of the Boss noise gate.
                        If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
                        DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

A compressor usually compresses the strong signals and amplifies the weak signals. If you have some subtle unwanted sound in the signal chain, the compressor may make it so loud that it becomes annoying. That's the reason I always put it ahead of everything.

Comment

Compressor before distortion, and reverb after distortion. Noise suppressor usually between distortion and reverb.
                            Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I like a compressor after my wah and distortion. When you have a compressor before distortion you get (almost) exactly the same amount of gain every time you hit the strings. When you put the compressor after your distortion you get different amounts of gain (depending on your pick attack) but you also can get a similar volume between chords and notes.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X