banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compressor...before or after a distortion pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compressor...before or after a distortion pedal?

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I like a compressor after my wah and distortion. When you have a compressor before distortion you get (almost) exactly the same amount of gain every time you hit the strings. When you put the compressor after your distortion you get different amounts of gain (depending on your pick attack) but you also can get a similar volume between chords and notes.
    I've heard of people doing this. It allows you to use your own picking dynamics to control the level of fuzziness, and the compressor gives a consistent volume.
    Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

I like a compressor after my wah and distortion. When you have a compressor before distortion you get (almost) exactly the same amount of gain every time you hit the strings. When you put the compressor after your distortion you get different amounts of gain (depending on your pick attack) but you also can get a similar volume between chords and notes.
      Ok that makes sense why I like mine before dist. I play alot of metal, so the compressor evens out the sound of my fast riff'ing and power chords...

For blues or cleans, what you said would probably work best as you'd want to retain those picking dynamics...
      If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
      DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Originally posted by Rid View Post
        Mine is first in the chain, and always on
        And is a rehoused one as well.
        I wonder if Rid has to hide his Boss Pedals when the boss is around? Kinda like the Microsoft guys gotta disguise their Apple Laptops?

Man those carl martin things look properly made, if only i had the coin....
        Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by More-Gear-Than-Skill View Post
          I wonder if Rid has to hide his Boss Pedals when the boss is around? Kinda like the Microsoft guys gotta disguise their Apple Laptops?

Man those carl martin things look properly made, if only i had the coin....
          I'm wondering whats in that box too

Comment

Why should I hide them???
            Not that they are standart either
            As the post said!!
            It is a compressor guys....and it compresses and limits, and all that without ever annoying me

Comment

Some of those CM pedals look a little tall to me.

Comment

Can't be any on the picture!
                They are all standart Hammond flat.

Comment

Yeah , a second look and I guess you're right and you'd know. Some how they just look a little stumpy to me but it may just be that there a little bigger in general.
                  Whats your general opinion on the CM comp, yah or nay?

Comment

Man what do you think???
                    I bloody work for CM
                    Hehe
                    Well I have used it longer than I have been employed....and size is due to the fact that they are not 9v pedals.
                    Boss pedals are taller...and more "stumpy"
                    The comp, and the HDB's, plus the phaser is coming down to standrt height, only the pedals with extra print are still going to be in the tall boxes, until we get the time to make it otherwise...but we are alittle short of time and such to just do it right now.
                    Well besides the optical we have made, and some 19" comps...I have never cared much for other comps for guitars....always to much effect and too little what it is supposed to do, keep the signal even.

Comment

I'm aware of your employer But I think I remember you not liking a pedal or two (Delayla?) and was just curious. I may just skip the cheaper comps and start with something nicer, just wanted a little verification. I will say, if I get too many CM pedals I'm going to have power cords everywhere

Comment

I do not like any of our black box 9v pedals, neither do I dig the old Delayla much...but that is more a question of hating making it
                        Which is a PITA!

Comment

How is that comp of yours in the pic powered now? I dont see a power cord.

Comment

Well there is one...+-12v 230 input on mine, normal CM powercord pedal.

Comment

Exactly, if you use the dynamics of the distortion pedal then you want it after the pedal.

Comment

^That realy depends on what kind of comp it is!!

Comment

Working...
                                X