Dokken Songs Tuning????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dokken Songs Tuning????

I am learning Dokken songs: Unchain the Night, It's not Love, and In My Dreams.

After some practice just getting the chords and stuff I tried playing along with the CD and found that it was not standard tuning. So I dropped a half step and it still wasn't right. Now I have never heard of people tuning down a 1/4 step but that is what it amounted to.

Do I just have a bad CD? Can someone confrim that the songs area 1/4 step down? Other cd's are just fine so I know it is not the cd player.

Thanks in Advance.

Re: Dokken Songs Tuning????

Does anyone play any Dokken?

Comment

check the batteries in your tuner?

it should be 1/2 step down (Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb)
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Some of the stuff is 1/2 step, some is about 1/4 step and some is standard tuning. Depends on the album. "Under Lock And Key" is around the 1/4 step. Just tune to the CD and play on. You're fine.

BTW, VH tuned down 1/4 step on some songs on the first two records. Not all of it is 1/2 step.

Comment

This may sound dumb but when I can't figure out which key a song is in I play the song and then I pluck each of the 6 strings to see which it sounds closest too. I then lower or raise the pitch of the string that sounds closest until it matches. Then I break out the tuner and check the tuning and then tune all strings to the same increment.

Comment

You’re right in that the recorded versions are in between standard and down 1/2 step. I don’t know whether it was just the way the band tuned or if it was a tape speed issue, but the recordings are off a bit. Like Erik, I’ve only noticed it to be the case on Under Lock and Key. Live they’ve always played those tunes down 1/2, as far as I know.
            Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I am glad I do not have to buy another CD or something. This is the first songs that I have come across with 1/4 step tuning. Great now I need yet another guitar to play these 3 songs in a gig. 2-3 at standard tuning, 1 at Eb and one at this 1/4 down thingy.

Comment

Just play 'em 1/2 step down live. There's no need to get another guitar just for that tuning in a live situation. That's silly. Heck, your vocalist may even be able to handle them at standard tuning.

Comment

You're right that would be ridiculous. I meant at home when I am practicing with the CD's.

Comment

Even at home, it's still silly....LOL. Just take the little time to retune. That's what I do. But hey, any excuse to get another guitar, right? LOL.

Comment

Working...
                    X