Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: whats wrong with rocknroll?

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
    +1 when it comes to spandex. Did you ever get anywhere with those plans of yours some time back.

I must admit that Nirvana has got a few songs that I can stand to listen to on a party. I still much rather listen to Europe though. Of course, I'd much rather listen to John Norums solo album Face the Truth on top of that again, but that's another story altogether.

Oh, and I think AH^DK likes at least a couple of albums made in 1986
    Nah the spandex got put on hold, got some leather pants instead

I havent heard Johns solo record, is it some good heavy rock or?

Ohh and yeah of I like stuff from '86... The Final Countdown was released then

Comment

I know what is wrong with music today.

Too many people in forums talking tone when they could be making music.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankly View Post
        I know what is wrong with music today.

Too many people in forums talking tone when they could be making music.
        AMEN.....shut the f@ck up and play your guitar!
        Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
        "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by AH^DK View Post
          Nah the spandex got put on hold, got some leather pants instead

I havent heard Johns solo record, is it some good heavy rock or?

Ohh and yeah of I like stuff from '86... The Final Countdown was released then
          You really need to get Face the Truth then. It's got Glenn Hughes singing, and if you like Gary Moores rock albums, you'll love it. Johns playing on the album very much sounds like a Gary Moore on steroides. And THAT is quite an achievement.

Comment

I words of the mighty Dio in Rainbow: if you dont like rock n roll, well if you dont like rock and roll, if you dont like rock n roll, ITS TOOOO LATE NOW!!
            http://www.myspace.com/nunoslasher

Comment

Rainbow is the greatest band ever

Comment

Originally posted by big_black View Post
                ...and?
                SRV was able to do something to get a little more exposure without being ruined artistically. In other words, it can be done.
                Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                  SRV was able to do something to get a little more exposure without being ruined artistically. In other words, it can be done.
                  Yeah, he "sold out".

It happens all the time....and there is nothing inherently wrong with that, it just makes for a pretty mediocre musical scene.

Comment

You know, the fact that this thread almost reached 300 might prove that something is wrong with RNR.

Besides - too many posts here were about grunge/punk vs hair metal. The fact that we're discussing styles and bands that bloomed more then 10 years ago is sad.

Comment

Yeah, he "sold out".

It happens all the time....and there is nothing inherently wrong with that, it just makes for a pretty mediocre musical scene.
                      And then he "sold back in" and was able to do his own thing because he had some money and exposure. He's not remembered for the Bowie tune, he's remembered (rightly) as one of the all-time great bluesmen. Nothing "pretty mediocre" about that.

The other thing to remember is that it's actually okay to like mediocre music. It's not for you or me, but for the general public, that's all they want because that's all they really can comprehend or even need. So what?

That doesn't make them bad or inferior people any more than preferring a cheeseburger over a steak at a $50/plate restaurant or Seinfeld over Shakespeare. And chances are we'd find many of them are very deep and substantive in areas of life where we're shallow, likely in areas more important than musical taste.

So as I said before, it is possible to take this stuff WAAAAAAY too seriously, which is what is really wrong with both rock-n-roll, and this thread.
                      Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                        The other thing to remember is that it's actually okay to like mediocre music. It's not for you or me, but for the general public, that's all they want because that's all they really can comprehend or even need. So what?
                        I disagree that is what people want. If it was, we wouldn't hear about "Rock 'n Roll sucking" all the time. I think those people just don't know where to look.

Comment

I disagree that is what people want. If it was, we wouldn't hear about "Rock 'n Roll sucking" all the time. I think those people just don't know where to look.
                          We do disagree. We hear about rock-n-roll sucking all the time, sure, but about 90% of the time in echo chambers like this one. The general public just isn't that serious about music.

Yes, there are some out there listening to bubblegum who would have a musical religious experience if they heard some alternative/underground/whatever you wanna call it. But they're matched at least man for man by people already in the scene who HAVE heard this stuff and secretly don't like it that much, but pretend to just so their friends will think they're hip.
                          Generic signature line.

Comment

Working...
                          X