whats wrong with rocknroll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: whats wrong with rocknroll?

There's tons of great bands I listen to that are new, they just aren't on major labels so not as many people know of them.
    "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy View Post
      I think the real problem is a complete lack of really pissed off people in pop culture.

It kinda makes me miss Eminem.... and I don't even like rap.
      I liked him when I was ten, not so much anymore, Marshall Mathers LP still gives me a chuckle every now and then, but not something I'd buy again.

I think money and popularity has a huge affect on why Rock is suffering (and pretty much always has since the 70s on the mainstream level). People form emo bands cause they're popular right now and it's "cool". In the 80s it was **** rock, every one wanted to be lead guitar in a **** rock band cause it meant they'd rake in a ton of money and women, it wasn't about the music, or about the lyrics, it was about the payoff.
      "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

There's tons of great bands I listen to that are new, they just aren't on major labels so not as many people know of them.
        +1
        Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

MTV sucks and tv shows only and only hip hop stuff,internet is killng hard working musicians, labels are not making money like they used to, i wish Kurt Cobain was alive.
          sigpicGeetars:
          Fender Daphne Blue Mustang,Fender Jaguar
          Gibson LP Studio(AIIp's),Gibson LP Standard Desert Burst
          Amps:Orange Tiny Terror,Fender 71 Princeton Reverb.Marshall Jcm800(4010)
          Pedals:
          EH Small Clone,Metal Muff,MemorMan,HolyGrail,Visual Sounds Jekyll & Hyde,Teese RMC3,Fulltone 69,Echoplex EP-3

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
            What's wrong with rock n roll? Hair metal, emo, pop rock, major labels. "nuff said
            Since when did hair metal have anything to do with emo?

I guess seeing real talent in a band must be a foreign concept to you.
            Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

I think the problem is mostly in U.S. In Europe, Brazil, Argentina, Japan metal never went away. I mean, check out Nightwish video's from european shows, tens of thousands of people. Look at Angra shows ....the problem is that american audience is the easiest to manipulate, especially kids, I am in San Fran and I see a loot of european teenagers on vacay with their parents wearing maiden and sabbath t-shirts with hair down to the shoulders, I don't know why but they are not brained washed by what's "hot" in U.S.
              Active Duty Rig:
              MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
              Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by liono9 View Post
                MTV sucks and tv shows only and only hip hop stuff,internet is killng hard working musicians, labels are not making money like they used to, i wish Kurt Cobain was alive.
                Sorry bro, he is the guy who played a major role in the metal's shut off.
                Active Duty Rig:
                MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
                  Metal was already dead by the time Cobain made it big. Hair metal had been killing it for years and Guns 'n Roses were the ones that finally put a bullet in its head... Cobain was simply the guy who kicked the coffin shut.
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by Mephis View Post
                    Posing, style over substance, etc. These are their common traits.

It is kind of like Hair Metal all over again.

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi
                    The idea that the Grunge movement "killed" Hair Metal is preposterous. The genre did it to itself. People were tired of the fantasy, they were tired of the bloated stage shows...Hair Metal was crushed under it own weight and greed and lack of innovation. At that point in music history people were dying for something different - something real. The popularity of Nirvana is proof. If it hadn't been them it would have been someone else.

Comment

I guess seeing real talent in a band must be a foreign concept to you.
                      They're both the Corporate fad selling genre of their time. People play them to gain popularity and money, not to make good music IMO. **** rock and emo don't sound the same, their similarities lie in the fact that kids form bands in either of those genres cause they want to be picked up by major labels, gets lots of money, be on MTV and be the POS band/artist that all the young kids as well as adult idiotic conformists worship.

as to wishing Kurdt was still alive, +1, and Joey Ramone and Buddy Holly too!! At least there's still U2, Radiohead and Foo Fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by big_black View Post
                        Posing, style over substance, etc. These are their common traits.

It is kind of like Hair Metal all over again.

It shares the same traits only emo is about being as crappy of a guitarist as possible and trying to make everyone as depressed as you are.

While hair metal is about getting drunk, partying, and as much technical ability as possible.
                        Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

While hair metal is about getting drunk, partying...
                          And doesn't that get old?

How about some substance?

Comment

Originally posted by big_black View Post
                            And doesn't that get old?

How about some substance?
                            It gets old in about 20 years, how about that?

Comment

It shares the same traits only emo is about being as crappy of a guitarist as possible and trying to make everyone as depressed as you are.
                              Half right. A lot of emo does have technical playing, but it still sucks, just like hair metal IMO.

+1,000,000,000 To what Big Black said.

And we punks take the crappy guitar playing!! And make up for it with tight band playing, socially conscious lyrics, energy, attitude and being able to play fast power chords for hours and hours!!

Comment

While hair metal is about getting drunk, partying, and as much technical ability as possible.
                                Hair metal is about stupid clothes, stupid hair and stupid music.

Emo is about stupid clothes, stupid hair and stupid music.

Both wear tight girls pants.

Lets face it, if you were born in the 90s you'd be Emo.
                                Last edited by some_dude; 06-09-2007, 09:44 PM.
                                || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Working...
                                X