Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: whats wrong with rocknroll?

Originally posted by big_black View Post
    The idea that the Grunge movement "killed" Hair Metal is preposterous. The genre did it to itself. People were tired of the fantasy, they were tired of the bloated stage shows...Hair Metal was crushed under it own weight and greed and lack of innovation. At that point in music history people were dying for something different - something real. The popularity of Nirvana is proof. If it hadn't been them it would have been someone else.
    Sure as everything is essentially a reaction to something else more or less. Listen basically the industry gets lucky enough every once in a while to have a really strong trend and then they sign every ****ing jackass to try and suck the life's blood and every single penny they can out of that particular scene until another comes along. There were plenty of great hard rock bands that got completely screwed in favor of bands that looked like Warrant and played the game trust me. I was thrilled when Nirvana came out, they didn't kill anything, we weren't scared of them. In fact we figured they broadened the playing field. The labels overnight stopped talking to anyone who didn't wear flannel shirts and fired the bulk of their A&R staffs. Nirvana didn't do that, the idiots in the suits did.

Xbox's, PC's, cellphones, etc.etc all matter way more than Rock N Roll or music in general these days and that is why it seems lifeless. No one with any money or any clout is putting their dollars into an industry that is withering away, unable to figure out a way to stop kids from getting the product they sell for free over the Internet a week before it is even released. Simple fact you want an exciting music industry in a very mainstream way get sales up make there be money flowing like a river again and they'll all come running.

When you can log into My Space and hear 2 million bands for free why the hell are you going to go out and spend money the way we used to on records and CDs in the past? That is why the music world dominated pop culture $$$$$.
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy View Post
      Hair metal is about stupid clothes, stupid hair and stupid music.

Emo is about stupid clothes, stupid hair and stupid music.

Both wear tight girls pants.

Lets face it, if you were born in the 90s you'd be Emo.
      Of course you hate hair metal, you're a nirvana fan.
      Carvin custom strat (P-Rails/hotrails/single - Tuned Eb) -> Pod XT - - 6505+ Halfstack

Comment

Hair metal is about stupid clothes, stupid hair and stupid music.

Emo is about stupid clothes, stupid hair and stupid music.

Lets face it, if you were born in the 90s you'd be Emo.
        I was born in the 90s, I'm not emo. I HATE emo, like it has been mentioned before, it's stupid music, stupid clothes and no substance (just like hair metal). Blues, Punk, Ska, And some modern rock has substance. By Modern rock I mean Foo Fighters, U2, Radiohead, REM, Red Hot Chili Peppers etc.
        "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Mephis View Post
          I'm a fan of anyone who puts CC Deville out of a job.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
            I was born in the 90s, I'm not emo.
            You missed the joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Mephis View Post

Hmm I guess I am an anomaly.
              My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                When you can log into My Space and hear 2 million bands for free why the hell are you going to go out and spend money the way we used to on records and CDs in the past? That is why the music world dominated pop culture $$$$$.
                I buy vinyl records of bands I like cause the audio quality is superior and I like to put money behind bands I like. Also at shows I buy a cd/record/t-shirt hell even a button if that's all I have the money for from a band I like. Yeah I download music for free, but if I really like the artist they'll know when they pocket my money or see me in the crowd at a show.concert/music festival.

As for Nirvana, they killed hair metal for ahwhile. The bitter-sweet thing is that they're music was molested by their label and though other decent bands got signed which is a good thing, they were only signed to be used, chewed up and spit out. That's why modern rock sucks, the major labels have no interest in music, just money. Notice that punk rock is thriving? Cause Fat Wreck Chords, Epitaph, and Alternative Tentacles don't screw over their bands and sign bands with talent.
                "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

I'm a fan of anyone who puts CC Deville out of a job.

CC's still here working all the time, Kurt isn't doing so well these days unfortunately.
                  My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                    Sure as everything is essentially a reaction to something else more or less. Listen basically the industry gets lucky enough every once in a while to have a really strong trend and then they sign every ****ing jackass to try and suck the life's blood and every single penny they can out of that particular scene until another comes along. There were plenty of great hard rock bands that got completely screwed in favor of bands that looked like Warrant and played the game trust me. I was thrilled when Nirvana came out, they didn't kill anything, we weren't scared of them. In fact we figured they broadened the playing field. The labels overnight stopped talking to anyone who didn't wear flannel shirts and fired the bulk of their A&R staffs. Nirvana didn't do that, the idiots in the suits did.
                    Yeah I know what you are saying. If I have been 16 in 1982 rather than 1992, and had been around for when something "real" was going on I may have had more sympathy seeing it go.

Comment

You know I ****ing crack up when I read some of this ****. So what you don't like something why does it automatically make it suck.
                      My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Notice that punk rock is thriving? Cause Fat Wreck Chords, Epitaph, and Alternative Tentacles don't screw over their bands and sign bands with talent.
                        Punk music will always thrive in some shape or form. It's the nature of the music and the attitude that drives it.

Comment

What really drives me nuts about eaarly 90s is Nirvana doesn't get cred, Kurt Cobain does. Dave Grohl was/is a better musician and on par with song writing with Kurt Cobain. I love Nirvana, great songs, great lyrics, great singing, but when I think of Nirvana I think of Dave, Kurt and Krist, not just Kurt.

Comment

What really drives me nuts about eaarly 90s is Nirvana doesn't get cred, Kurt Cobain does. Dave Grohl was/is a better musician and on par with song writing with Kurt Cobain. I love Nirvana, great songs, great lyrics, great singing, but when I think of Nirvana I think of Dave, Kurt and Krist, not just Kurt.
                            What drives me nuts is that when people think grunge they think of Nirvana and not Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Temple of the Dog, ect....

Comment

Originally posted by big_black View Post
                              Yeah I know what you are saying. If I have been 16 in 1982 rather than 1992, and had been around for when something "real" was going on I may have had more sympathy seeing it go.
                              No doubt. For me the worst part is the lack of diversity when a particular trend becomes overwhelming.
                              My Bands -

GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Punk music will always thrive in some shape or form. It's the nature of the music and the attitude that drives it.
                                That's because "Punk" is not a style of music, it's a ethic. It can be applied over and over in many different forms.

Punk, DYI, Indie - these things are forever. It was alive back when Townsend picked up his guitar, and I still see it today in the clubs.

Comment

Working...
                                X