• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got My Crazy 8 Today!!!!

can't wait to get mine

Comment

Ok, wow. Extended to the 30th right? Hmmm, gonna order probably around the 27th or 28th or 29th as soon as I get some time in to think this through and check out how the finances are holding up
      "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
      "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
      "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
      "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

Will they still be available to forum bros after the deadline? I might want one in the fall, or even summer, if I can get a Strat to put it in (amp and PRS first though)
        "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
          Will they still be available to forum bros after the deadline? I might want one in the fall, or even summer, if I can get a Strat to put it in (amp and PRS first though)
          yes, but at the standard Custom Shop price ($160 US)
          -Greg

Guitars:
          2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
          2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
          2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
          Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Originally posted by skyydogg01 View Post
            Fair enough. I'll actually probably go for a Brobucker. Sound clips of the Crazy 8??
            "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
              The thing about the stamp saying "Alnico XIII" just lends to the "craziness" of the Crazy 8, doncha think?
              Ya, Unst Dat Vas CraZ-ee.

Actually... if I remember correctly, SkyPup & 7ender Punx, Evan said that it would be around $170 (maybe +) for the additional costs for the AVIII mag. Unless that's changed it was what was mentioned earlier.

Comment

yeah probably. didn't factor in the A8.

skypup??? no, it's skyydogg
                -Greg

Guitars:
                2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
                2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
                2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
                Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Need some clips! I'd love to order one but not without hearing the thing...also, comparative output? Like, as much as a C5???

that is a nice job packaging "custom wound for Michael"" I'm jealous!
                  USACG Superstrat - Duncan JB & Jazz
                  USACG Tele, Fender '52 neck & nocaster bridge
                  Fender Deluxe Strat Duncan Noiseless Plus (4/4/7)
                  PRS Tremonti SE, PafPro & Duncan 59n
                  Charvel/frankenstrat, Duncan A2Pros

Comment

Crazy 8 first impressions…

First I’ll start with what I put the pickup into… Schecter C-1FR Mahogany body, Set Maple neck, Rosewood board. This will be important a bit later in the review. I opted for the Parallel Axis version in case you scrolled past the pics.

I pulled out a TB-14 Custom 5. I love the C5 but it was too dark for this guitar, so when the board developed this idea for an A8 based pickup my interest perked up.

Strings on and tuned standard w/GHS TNT 52-10’s, cranked on the Dual Rec and instantly the mids claw you in the face… WOW. Comparing this with a C5 is not what I thought of when I heard this. I had to grab my Ibanez USA Custom RG with a PATB-3 Saraceno. Mind you the RG is Basswood with a bolt on all Maple neck. I plugged in the Ibanez to get a reference; warm, slightly scooped but tight and focused especially on the low E, F, and F #. Plugged in the Schecter again and the focus was just as tight yet with more mids and highs immediately noticeable slightly less bass. Imagine a PATB-3’s response enhanced with more upper mids and highs with a slightly quicker pick attack. The harmonics jump out easy with the Crazy 8 not to mention the pinched harmonics. For those of you who dig that style you’ll have endless fun with this one! In a live situation you will have no problem cutting through with the Crazy 8. Keep in mind this is a mahogany body with a rosewood board and it’s spanking the maple neck on highs.

Distortion Off! This pick up is CLEAN, bright and chimey. Coil tapped it’s more chimey than the Sacrceno tapped w/ a maple neck. I backed the pickup off the strings to almost a quarter inch and the chime became more rounded and enjoyable. Don’t be too quick to get this one too close to the strings, I’m sure I’ll be changing the height some more to see how this alters the dynamics. I then had to run a bit of chorus and noodled with that setting for several minutes. I’m going to sit with it a bit more this week and read up on the reports you guys have about this. Happy Pickin’!

Comment

Thanks for the review. Sounds like it may be a great pickup for my Les Paul, which has a ton of lows, but could use a little mid/high range bump.

Comment

Guitarzan, Nice! ^^^

skypup??? no, it's skyydogg
                        I got cha. I was just messing around with my own 'creative license' and seemingly aesthetically pleasing word associations. Like rhyming couplets, throw them out on a table and randomly place em' together to make an ironic twist of sorts. It's all good, don't take it personally, I wasn't making fun of you. Just taking liberty in my type. I don't have to be KeyOfG, could be A, B, C, or D flat obviously. See. Just foolin' around. Plus your name skyydogg reminded me of an instrumental on the Melvin's Houdini album, aptly titled: Sky Pup.

So, all in all, didn't mean to Dawg ya, or punk around too much with Fender_Punk.

Anyways.

Plus about the price (post special), I was just mentioning it for anybody who is 'on the wire' about getting a "Crazy 8" now or later. I imagine that it's gonna be a cool pickup regardless, so take advantage of the situation if you fall into the deadline category. As much as it interests me for use in one guitar (I'm pleased with what's in there for other stuff) mainly for different styles than my norm, I'm with Fender_Punk on the, "ummm... BroBucker, or Crazy 8?" Both are totally unique and really only associated with the Forum so it's cool either way. I, myself, don't mind holding onto a pickup for later use, but which will I use most? Eh, no biggie, just a 'G minor' dilemma of sorts. I'm sure the Custom Shop did a fabulous job on this pickup all the way around. Actually I'm real stoked to see the reviews.

Comment

About it being chimey when split... Do you think it would mix well w/ singles? Possibly surfers? Just curious.
                          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                          I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
                            About it being chimey when split... Do you think it would mix well w/ singles? Possibly surfers? Just curious.
                            Surf stuff try a Twangbanger in the bridge and Alnico 2 pro singles. The 5/2's might not be bad either. Anyway go to Stew Mac and get an "E" switch so in the middle switch position you have the two outer p/u on (like a Tele). I'm assuming you have a Strat... The Twangbanger is a must for that style. I'm not to sure the A8 is what you're looking for. It's a punchy little SOB.

Comment

Dude a full review is what we want!!!
                              You are the first one ,so don't torture your fellow forumites and let us know what that "buker" does!
                              We all have to wait ,so do us a favor and
                              RIPP!!!
                              www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Originally posted by daemon barbeque View Post
                                Dude a full review is what we want!!!
                                You are the first one ,so don't torture your fellow forumites and let us know what that "buker" does!
                                We all have to wait ,so do us a favor and
                                RIPP!!!
                                I'm ripping as I sit and type... I'm getting a better feel for it. LP players will like this thing. The articulation is sensitive... Shredders will like it as well.
                                Last edited by _Guitarzan_; 06-20-2007, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X