Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: effects?

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
    I know what compression is in terms of audio recording but what does the guitar effect do? I heard something about it changing the dynamics.
    A compressor acts like a guy sitting on the volume control of your guitar. When you play loud, it will limit the amount of volume that you get . . . when you play quietly it brings your volume up a bit. There are a bunch of different ways to use compression for guitar . . .

I like to use some compression when playing clean so that I can go from playing chords to single note lines without a drop in volume. It's also good for fast funk strumming (it gives a more controlled and even sound than you can get otherwise). Lately I've been messing with compression into overdrive to get a smooth, even lead sound (I just use the overdrive alone for rhythm).
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

My style is sort of rooted in early 80's new wave & pop-rock like The Police, The Pretenders, U2, etc. So, here's my setup

Boss CE-2 (light chorus)
      Boss BF-2 (heavy chorus-type sound, seldom used for big swoosh sounds), TR-2 (I love tremolo, but play a Marshall, hence the pedal)

Two Rocktron Short Timer delays (one for slapback, one for longer rhythmic delays)

I'm still trying to get an OD/distortion I like; presently trying out both the Boss SD-1 and a Keeley-modded DS-1.

If I had room on my board, I'd add a phaser. I have a Crybaby, but seldom use it.
      Last edited by Rich_S; 08-15-2007, 09:03 AM.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

just a wah (no more than 2 songs per night) and the amps reverb

i am still working on the basic tones from my 4-ch amp ... after i get them all nailed down, i will see about getting my rocktron intellifex in the loop for delays and choruses as needed

t4d
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

A wah, a *little* bit of reverb from the amp, and I've been playing with having an overdrive "always on" sitting on top of the amp while using the volume on my guitar to "clean up". Last week I messed with a DS-1, this week I'm messing with the Wylde Overdrive. I like the Wylde OD better so far.

I used to run chorus, flanger, phaser and a delay, but I'm not a tap dancer. I'm more comfortable with less.

Comment

Heh, too many. I'm an effects junkie. Some of them are almost whole new instruments in themselves. I plan on putting an effects loop into my Marshall and adding something like a Kaoss pad for some really wild stuff, sampling, and resampling, to do stuff that stompboxes just can't do.
            "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Kyuss_Rock View Post
              Heh, too many. I'm an effects junkie. Some of them are almost whole new instruments in themselves. I plan on putting an effects loop into my Marshall and adding something like a Kaoss pad for some really wild stuff, sampling, and resampling, to do stuff that stompboxes just can't do.
              Have you seen that new Roland processor? It's the latest evolution of the VG-8. Anyway, it's got a "hold" button. Hit it, and it sustains whatever not you were playing, then it allows you to manipulate the note with something similar to a Kaoss pad, and leaves both hands free to tweak knobs and whatnot. Looks hella cool.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Kyuss Rock, any pics of your stuff?

I'd love to mount a Kaoss Pad in a cheap guitar, is it Matt Belamy that did that?
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                  Kyuss Rock, any pics of your stuff?

I'd love to mount a Kaoss Pad in a cheap guitar, is it Matt Belamy that did that?
                  Yup

Comment

I use a Boss CE3 Compressor>Digitech Bad Monkey>DOD Chorus> Boss DD-20 GigaDelay>Guyatone tuner
                    this is for the jazzy blues band I play with...the acoustic setup is different still, and so is the guitar synth/ambient stuff different as well (all rack stuff)
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X