Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strats Are Just Fine For Shred

Originally posted by kramer.geetar View Post
    What makes a shred guitar is the neck, the body doesn’t really matter. That’s with any guitar, the neck makes or breaks the guitar.
    Depends what you mean by 'shred'. Usually I think of it as virtuosic fast playing that uses the whole fretboard. Upper fret access matters if you want to use those higher frets . . . and playing shred, you probably do. That's often limited by the body of the guitar. Try playing shred on a Danelectro:

The nicest neck in the world won't let you access frets 19, 20, and 21 comfortably. And there isn't even a 22nd fret to play.

I'd argue that the neck doesn't matter - other than it being comfortable for the person using it. Some guys shred on huge, thick necks and some guys like very thin ones.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Re: Strats Are Just Fine For Shred

Yeah, 'shred' is a strange term. John McLaughlin can certainly shred on an ES335 or PRS. Al Di Meola does it on an Ovation. Robert Fripp does it on a 1959 LP.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
      X