Strats Are Just Fine For Shred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strats Are Just Fine For Shred

Dude, YJM plays a strat, so it must be good for shred. He runs his sausage fingers all over that juicy maple board.
    "So you'll never have to listen to surf music again." -Hendrix

Comment

Comparing YJM's strat (not just his signature models but his actual Strats) is like comparing a one-off special edition Ferrari to a production line Fiat Punto. Sure they're made from the same company but that's where the similarities end...
      Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
      I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
      Originally posted by That90'sGuy
      Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by YJM_Rocks View Post
        Dude, YJM plays a strat, so it must be good for shred. He runs his sausage fingers all over that juicy maple board.
        His scalloped maple board that is.

Comment

I know, I was mocking myself. Since I'm called YJM rocks. I lack interest in him now though...
          "So you'll never have to listen to surf music again." -Hendrix

Comment

Ahh, got it now
            Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
            I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
            Originally posted by That90'sGuy
            Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

But is shred fine enough for strats???

Comment

Bringing back an old thread from the dead.
                It's a shame people think you need a flat fretboard radius to shred. I have met quite a few pros who are considered shredders that prefer a 9.5" - 10" or 12" radius board over a flat radius or compound radius. It also makes no difference for low action. I can get my action just as low on my strat as I can my Kramer or Ibanez and I find my Strat and PRS more comfortable over all. If your ridge matches your fretboard radius, you can get the action as low as you want. I have had the action on my strat so low, the strings were barely over the frets. I have a good set up and fret dressing. Rounded radius can get the same low action as a flat radius, it just feels different. My preference is the PRS 10" and Gibson 12".
                Shred is in the hands of thr beholder. For me a PRS feels perfect for anything I play. I have owned so many from Ibanez to Kramer to Hamer to Gibson to Fender to PRS to Peavey Wolfgang, etc. I always come back to my Gibsons and PRS.
                I have a friend who is a classical player and shreds a lit of electric. He used to play Kramer, Suhr, Ibanez and so on... But now he gigs with older Gibson Les Pauls.
                Don't forget tone!!
                I think Tremonti is a great player using a 10" radius PRS. Aldrich can shred on his Les Pauls.
                Last edited by papersoul; 06-03-2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Oh man, bringing back the barbarian brute thread...
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151 View Post
                    I kinda think a scalloped board with low actions wouldn't work. The action on my Malmsteen is the action set at the factory, which is medium high. The tension from the higher action prevents the strings from going sharp when you fret them, I would imagine lower action would make it easier to accidentally make the note go sharp since there's less string tension.
                    Works fine, that's how my EB/MM is set up. I think you can learn to shred on any guitar you want...if that's what you got, and you are motivated, you'll use what you got.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I guess you are just meaning regular vintage and stock strats.

I don't like the vintage Fender radius and frets. -later Strats with flatter necks and bigger frets are the basis for the shred era.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I learned my Yngwie and Vinnie Moore licks on an 1982 vintage radius, fretted neck 'The Strat'. Sounded fine for me. Dedicated people use whatever is at their disposal at the time and don't do the 'awww, I can't play it because I don't have the right gear' game.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

What makes a shred guitar is the neck, the body doesn’t really matter. That’s with any guitar, the neck makes or breaks the guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                              But is shred fine enough for strats???
                              Of course yes.

Try yourself or think of who played a Strat...
                              Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

One of the reasons I still like strats for shred even though I also have several 24 fret shredsticks, is that having a fretboard with 22 frets gives you a little bit more finger room as you get up toward the higher frets. 24 fret necks get really cramped up toward the higher frets. I never really paid that much attention to it until I started playing on a 27" scale 8 string. While the 8-string stretches your fingers out down on the low end of the fretboard, it is REALLY comfortable to play above the 12th fret. A 24 fret, 26.5 inch scale might be perfect. Unfortunately, most of those are gone from lineups now, so I may never know.

Comment

Working...
                                X