Strats Are Just Fine For Shred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strats Are Just Fine For Shred

It's not because it's fine for Malmsteem or whoever the French else that it's fine for me or you! I can't stand that whole thing in reviews 'if it's good enough for Hendrix...'

EVERYBODY is different! I can shred equally well on most guitars, but I prefer some others. Some people are picky with their guitars. I'm not as picky as some but I do prefer, say, a 10'' radius over a 16'' one. I do prefer a slightly fatter neck as opposed to a wizard neck. So what?

Anyway... I think it's possible to shred on pretty much any guitar. Mostly it depends on your definition of shred. Either way, I can play equally fast on most guitars, though sometimes some adjustement time is needed. I'm also used to 11s as opposed to 09s so it's not as much a problem as for some other people who are used to paper thin necks and uber thin strings which I can't get too comfy with.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
      What I don't understand is why it's sometimes seen as an absolute....
      Most people are either unwilling or (much less frequently) unable to adapt to anything different than what they typically use. I have a hard time with people who raise too big of a fuss about playing whatever guitar is handed to them (within reason).
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I think it's all the player. You either rip, or you do not rip.
        I remember Zakk Wylde one time, saying he's sick of wussies who act like they can only shred on a certain guitar.....he boasted...gimme a POS with action like the Golden Gate Bridge and I'll tear that M'F'er up. I laughed....gotta love it.

Also, the more different neck profiles you OWN, the less difference it makes. I could pick up my 335 and do sweeps, with my right hand doing slides and pulloffs. I don't need an Ibanez shred stick. And I don't even care about shred anymore...that stuff is fun to pretend you're ever going to be Paul Gilbert, but sadly you won't. LOL You're better off learning to have good feel and note choice, and making music that doesn't sound like F'in swizzle stick with distortion! ROFL
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
          I think it's all the player. You either rip, or you do not rip.
          I remember Zakk Wylde one time, saying he's sick of wussies who act like they can only shred on a certain guitar.....he boasted...gimme a POS with action like the Golden Gate Bridge and I'll tear that M'F'er up. I laughed....gotta love it.

Also, the more different neck profiles you OWN, the less difference it makes. I could pick up my 335 and do sweeps, with my right hand doing slides and pulloffs. I don't need an Ibanez shred stick. And I don't even care about shred anymore...that stuff is fun to pretend you're ever going to be Paul Gilbert, but sadly you won't. LOL You're better off learning to have good feel and note choice, and making music that doesn't sound like F'in swizzle stick with distortion! ROFL
          haha, Zakk's always good for a quote. Pity his band stinks. I lasted four tunes at a BLS gig, and I like to think I have a decent widdle-guitar tolerance.

Funny you should mention a 335. If wanted to really blow some smoke, the FIRST guitar I'd pick up would be my semihollow Starfire. Of course, EVH was once quoted as wishing he could play a 335 onstage (he didn't want to look like Roy Orbison) and Holdsworth used one early in his career.

Truth is most high level shredder types ARE pretty much one-guitar dudes. Vai himself has said he wouldn't know what to do with a Les Paul, and Paul Gilbert relies on his sig model, saving the oddball guitars for photoshoots. You rarely see a shredder do a Peter Stroud and switch from a Paul to a tele to 335 to an SG onstage...
          Originally posted by Jolly
          ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

In general, slimmer necks are faster and that's why shredders gravitate toward them.
            I've bounced back and forth between slim/regular necks and fat ones, and honestly I like medium C's now. It's sort of a balance between speed and tone.

I think if VH really wanted to go with a 335, it would have been funny, because you KNOW it would have had a Floyd Rose! haha

Pete Stroud is a pretty cool guy, and a real deal player. I'm sure I'll see him on Saturday at the Amp Show. He sunk a lot of his money into 65 Amps.
            Last edited by Gearjoneser; 10-05-2007, 12:51 AM.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Yes strats are difficult to shred on, but to me, ibanez shredders are a bit ..... thin and wanky. I love Strat Metal, Mercyful Fate, YJM, Vivian Campbell, Nuno, Lynch, Vito Bratta, Iron Maiden, to me that's shred tone, some Jackson Charvel guys were great however the only one that really was part of the list above for me and played the slinys was Criss Oliva. Others? some great playing but tone? beh ...
              Active Duty Rig:
              MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
              Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by barbarianbrute View Post
                i hear a lot of guys saying that strats aren't good for shred, but i would obviously disagree. i could site numerous well known examples (yngwie, joe stump, impelliteri, blackmoore, EJ, tec...), but i just don't see any reason why it's better to shred on say an ibanez. i've owned several ibanez, jackson, and bc rich guitars and none of them were particularly any better for shred than my strats.

in fact, a strat with a vintage bridge seems a little easier for the right hand than the stock US strat bridges. what do you guys think? do you really think strats aren't good for shred?
                Yeah anyone with the blanket statement of "Stratocasters can't shred" is forgetting YM. Besides, any guitar can "shred" based on the one playing it and the pickups, amp, effects, etc.
                My Website || My Music
                Originally posted by US Declaration of Independence
                ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
                Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Comment

Originally posted by TwinReverb View Post
                  Yeah anyone with the blanket statement of "Stratocasters can't shred" is forgetting YM. Besides, any guitar can "shred" based on the one playing it and the pickups, amp, effects, etc.
                  And lets not forget Gary Moores Strat/Metal era.
                  When asking for pickup suggestions please tell us what amp you`re using

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
                    Yes strats are difficult to shred on, but to me, ibanez shredders are a bit ..... thin and wanky. I love Strat Metal, Mercyful Fate, YJM, Vivian Campbell, Nuno, Lynch, Vito Bratta, Iron Maiden, to me that's shred tone, some Jackson Charvel guys were great however the only one that really was part of the list above for me and played the slinys was Criss Oliva. Others? some great playing but tone? beh ...
                    Yeah, before my lovely Marleen the most comfortable guitar I had ever laid my hands on was a Washburn NX3 (Nuno's Korean sig model), as for Criss Oliva, I think you all know by now how I idolize the man...

However, the Strat vs SuperStrat shredders is a very weak distinction IMO. YJM's Strat being a perfect example. Everyone regards it as a perfectly by the book Strat and yet it has more in common with a Jackson Dinky than with a MiM Std Strat (even less with a 50's or 60's Strat)...
                    Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                    Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits View Post
                      Hmmm. I've seen more than one occasion where a kid walks into a studio with a jackson or similar and ends up recording almost everything (particularly main rhythm tracks) on LPs, strats, SGs and similar. in fact, I wouldn't hesitate to suggest that a lot of the recorded stuff you list under 'superstrats' is probably not a superstrat at all. Everything without wang bar on the first VH album is an ibanez destroyer, for example, and Lynch has a couple of nice old Les Pauls that have done a lot of work.

Now I've played some ok sounding superstrats in my time, but the fundamental problem with most of them is that they are designed in a way that removes wood from critical areas: under the bridge, at the neck joint and on the neck itself. Not a great idea if you're looking for a warm, balanced, resonant sounding guitar.
                      Hehe, no, I didn't mean their studio tone, but the live one or the one they have on some lesson or demonstration videos. For Kee Marcello you can check their '87 Final Countdown tour. His tone is really great!

Anyway, I don't know guys, but I really can achieve any tone I want (within metal limits) with my superstrats and setup. I can get very warm and heavy with a good bite, very weighty tone. I never had any problems with that. I keep on thinking that it's all about the amp, setup and adjustments. Maybe my opinion is based on the fact that from all the guitars I've heard and played, the superstrats had the real focus and clarity I need (especially the neck-through ones).

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                      You're better off learning to have good feel and note choice, and making music that doesn't sound like F'in swizzle stick with distortion! ROFL
                      I completely agree with this. The phrasing is the most important thing, whatever the speed you're playing in. I don't know what exactly shred means (is it neoclassical arpeggio sweeps? taping? just fast runs? I don't know) but music is all about melody and feel and not just many scale exercises put together.

If a guitarist has the ability to play very fast solos, but still retains the control over his note choice, making them (solos) sound soulful and inspiring, that's the highest level of playing anyone can achieve.
                      Last edited by Metalblaze; 10-05-2007, 03:27 AM.
                      Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

I'm not a shredder; at least in my own opinion, but I love this thread. I love shred and always will. I also don't care that much for Zakk Wilde; but I respect the fact that he neither makes or takes excuses about his or others' playing...
                        -Butch

Comment

i think any guitar works for shred. but the main advantage usually to me is better high fret access. i shred fine on my strat tho. I dont really like the wizard neck...

Comment

You can play any style on any guitar.
                            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

sorry but i have to say B.S. to the whole shred guitar thing. i've owned several superstrats or "shred guitars," and none of them were any easier to shred on than my strats. there may actually be an advantage to shredding on a strat if you think about it.

i've noticed that notes on superstrats (jackson, ibanez, etc...) are pretty articulate. if you strike a note wrong, you're going to hear it. on a strat, if you strike a note wrong, you will likely get kind of a bum note. in a fast run i think it's harder to make out these mistakes on a strat than on a shred guitar.

i've seen people shred on accoustics and those huge-ass gibson guitars with the hollow bodies and headstocks as big as the guy's head. "shred guitars," to me for the most part, is just a myth. there's no advantage over a strat for shred really. in fact, i'd venture to say that strats were the original shred guitar and haven't been beaten yet.

Comment

So why don't we see Vai and Satch et al, with some vintage strats ?

Why do they want those superstrats with custom shaved necks, jumbo frets, flat radius fingerboards, custom pickups and electronics, double locking floyds and so forth ?

I mean if its all just a myth and theres no advantage over a strat they'd be pretty foolish not to just rip it up on a 57 fender.

Personally I'd rather listen to Jimi play a vintage strat over any modern shredder any day, I don't even understand how people can listen to shredders for more than few minutes. Its cool to check out You Tube clips of some guys with amazing technical skills but taking an 8 hour road trip and listening to nothing but some guy flying up and down the neck ? That would be rough, but I'm just saying.........
                                -Burny Randy Rhoads LP Custom- C5/59 Hybrid Bridge/Fernades Vh-1 PAF neck
                                -Epi Goldtop - Custom Shop Mike Ness p90's
                                -Epi Masterbilt AJ500R rosewood
                                -Fender Classic Player 60's strat CS 69'

-Gretsch Black Phoenix - TV Jones Classics
                                -Danelectro Dano Pro Baritone

Comment

Working...
                                X