X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: THE WELL: For Real This Time...I'm an Open Book

Originally posted by JohnnyGuitar View Post
    Besides the music - what makes you a rocker?
    My 10" platform dragon boots.
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Got pics?

Comment

No, but I've got Photoshop.
        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

what is the most effective method that you use to teach your sons (the two that live with you) life lessons? .. you know, that 'age appropriate' stuff that dads have to pass down to their children ... stuff they dont learn in school or from their mom ... examples welcome
          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
            what is the most effective method that you use to teach your sons (the two that live with you) life lessons? .. you know, that 'age appropriate' stuff that dads have to pass down to their children ... stuff they dont learn in school or from their mom
            I don't know all the details of this story -- surely someone on this forum can correct the errors and fill in the details -- but I once heard that Tiger Woods' father drove Tiger to a tournament knowing Tiger had forgotten his clubs. He felt Tiger was old enough to be responsible for remembering his own equipment. His father was raising a champion.

My boys are eight and nine, so they're not quite at that level, but I have been increasing their awareness of their own responsibilities. For example, they can play baseball outside, but at the end of the day, they need to put all their baseball stuff back in the garage. If they forget, I pick it up and put it away for three days. (Sucks when they forget on a Thursday or Friday.) I used to remind them after dinner to check the back yard for baseball stuff, but now I don't remind them. They're old enough that they should remember on their own. That's starting to sink in, I think.

Here's another life lesson that I have mixed feelings about. As a kid, I was an easy target and would get picked on because I was small for my age. There was another boy in my class, about my size, who didn't get picked on. The reason for that is because he did a good job sticking up for himself. He wasn't rude about it, but he just didn't take crap from others. In that way, he commanded respect. My youngest son is small for his age as well. The other day, he and a classmate got in an argument over a girl they both like, and this classmate pushed my son...hard. My son was upset about it, but didn't say anything to anyone until it came up at the dinner table that night; his eyes welled up as he shared the incident with us. First I comforted him. Then I told him, "If that happens again, give the boy a warning, something like 'Push me once more and I'm going to sock you.' If he doesn't believe you and does push you again, turn around and lay into him." Now, I'm not a violent person, but I know what it's like to be treated like a little runt. I would never advocate that he take this kind of action on someone much smaller than him (the other kid could get hurt) or on someone bigger than him (he could get walloped), but for the typical classmate I think it's OK to make your stance clear. "I'm not going to take your crap, and if you don't believe me, go ahead and call my bluff."

As for the other "age-appropriate stuff," if you're referring to the birds 'n' bees kinda things, the boys aren't there yet. They will be in just a couple years, so I have to be ready for that. I think I'll bring it up in as non-goofy a way as I can, but only saying that they can ask me anything they want, and I promise not to be angry with them or make them feel embarrassed. They need to know that they have a safe person at home to talk about this stuff with. I don't want to force a talk on them, but I want to be available to them anytime they need me.
            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Barring anything significant to do with family (including the 13 year old boy you tried to adopt) or wives/girlfriends past or present, what is your favorite memory?

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
                Perhaps my response is more than you expected. Sorry 'bout that.
                Naw, dude! I like hearing long detailed stories about how people got started! It's also fun to draw parallels between experiences of others and my own, too. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Scott View Post
                  Barring anything significant to do with family (including the 13 year old boy you tried to adopt) or wives/girlfriends past or present, what is your favorite memory?
                  Should I exclude things like holidays with family as well? Just looking for clarification.
                  I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by Mattt
                    If you HAD to go and live in another country for a year, without your family or friends, where would it be and why? What would you do whilst you were there...?
                    Are family and/or friends allowed to visit in this other country? Once again, just looking for clarification so I answer this properly.
                    I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I don't know all the details of this story -- surely someone on this forum can correct the errors and fill in the details -- but I once heard that Tiger Woods' father drove Tiger to a tournament knowing Tiger had forgotten his clubs. He felt Tiger was old enough to be responsible for remembering his own equipment. His father was raising a champion.
                      We all saw how deeply Tiger missed his father when he died.. It was obviously a very special bond there..

I promise, I really thought to ask you this before Mattt asked his latest question, but anyway, take a look at it and if you don't give a response on it I know I'll look at your response for Mattt's question:

Which state and which country would you like to visit the most, and for what reasons?
                      My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                        Which state and which country would you like to visit the most, and for what reasons?
                        For states in the U.S. -- and I'm assuming I have to exclude ones I've already visited -- I would most like to visit Hawaii. There are only so many picture-perfect stories I can hear about that place without wanting to experience it for myself. Sounds like an absolute paradise. Honorable mentions go to Louisiana (New Orleans, specifically) and parts of Alaska.

As for which country I'd most like to visit, Italy tops the list. By all accounts, it sounds like stepping into the Old World. Venice, Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast are all quite alluring. There seems to be a cultivation of natural beauty there that I just can't find here in the States. Pompeii intrigues me as well, and I'd be a liar if I told you Pink Floyd's Live at Pompeii DVD didn't have anything to do with that. Oh, and honorable mentions go to Ireland and Norway. I'm not even saying Norway for your benefit, Tor. Norway was on the short list for my honeymoon, and because of me, not my (at the time) fiancée.

I've answered Mattt's question if the assumption was that my family and friends could not visit me on a regular basis. If I could have family and friends visit, I'd probably move to Canada -- someplace in Quebec. I could learn more about my cultural history, my French language skills would be sharper, and since all my family and friends are in New England, it wouldn't be outrageous having them come visit. A seven-hour car ride would do the trick.
                        Last edited by Pink Unicorn Horsey; 10-08-2007, 12:24 PM. Reason: Forgot about the honorable mentions for countries
                        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

For states in the U.S. -- and I'm assuming I have to exclude ones I've already visited -- I would most like to visit Hawaii. There are only so many picture-perfect stories I can hear about that place without wanting to experience it for myself. Sounds like an absolute paradise. Honorable mentions go to Louisiana (New Orleans, specifically) and parts of Alaska.

As for which country I'd most like to visit, Italy tops the list. By all accounts, it sounds like stepping into the Old World. Venice, Tuscany and the Amalfi Coast are all quite alluring. There seems to be a cultivation of natural beauty there that I just can't find here in the States. Pompeii intrigues me as well, and I'd be a liar if I told you Pink Floyd's Live at Pompeii DVD didn't have anything to do with that. Oh, and honorable mentions go to Ireland and Norway. I'm not even saying Norway for your benefit, Tor. Norway was on the short list for my honeymoon, and because of me, not my (at the time) fiancée.

I've answered Mattt's question if the assumption was that my family and friends could not visit me on a regular basis. If I could have family and friends visit, I'd probably move to Canada -- someplace in Quebec. I could learn more about my cultural history, my French language skills would be sharper, and since all my family and friends are in New England, it wouldn't be outrageous having them come visit. A seven-hour car ride would do the trick.
                          Cool, thanks for a well-described answer! I have heard and seen a lot of beauty concerning Tuscany, oh well, Italy in general. I am set to visit that country someday. I realize it can be interpreted this way, but I did not 'fish' for a nod towards Norway, so in case anyone should think that I didn't mean that. Well, on behalf of Norway I have to say thanks though!
                          And yes, I definitely can agree, Hawaii just seems perfect in every sense of the word. Paradisesque!
                          My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                            I realize it can be interpreted this way, but I did not 'fish' for a nod towards Norway, so in case anyone should think that I didn't mean that.
                            I certainly didn't take it that way. It just so happens I really want to visit Norway some day. Did you know I name all my electrics after Norse gods? I also find the language beautiful to hear, and (strange as this may seem) even more beautiful to read.
                            I am just jug the merlot

Comment

I certainly didn't take it that way. It just so happens I really want to visit Norway some day. Did you know I name all my electrics after Norse gods? I also find the language beautiful to hear, and (strange as this may seem) even more beautiful to read.
                              Good to hear!

Yeah, I know I have read your guitars' names at some point, that's cool.
                              I reckon a lot of languages sound really nice when one doesn't understand too much of the words.. That way you pay more attention to the way it sounds and the 'music' in it rather than listening for understanding the words. I know Welsh is a beautiful language in that way (at least, the language The Corrs sings in )
                              Last edited by Tor; 10-08-2007, 01:14 PM.
                              My Soundclick

Comment

How many drunk do you have to be in order to put on a wedding dress?

Comment

Working...
                                X