Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to degauss

Thanks Zhang!!

Will I notice a decrease in output, or just a change in tone?
    Anything I post is based on first hand experience.

Comment

A little of both, depending on how close and how fast/slow the wave is.
      Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
        It's all trial and error and depends on how much you want to degauss. Just a few seconds on a side (S to S and N to N) will take the edge off.

Although now I have come up with a new way of both degaussing and re-gaussing without even having to take the pu out of the guitar. Just use a neo disk mag like you can get from Stewmac and wave it once very quickly along the length of the pickup with the disk a couple of inches above the pickup, off to the side, with the surface of the disk at a 45-degree angle to the surface of the pu. How much degauss or recharge effect is determined by how fast you wave the disk and how far away the disk is from the pickup. Faster and farther away both = less effect.

This is a great way for several reasons:

1) It's goofproof. If you degauss it too much, just flip the disk over and wave it again to recharge it, flip it again and try again.

2) You don't have to do anything to the guitar at all, you don't even have to remove strings or pickups.

3) You hear the results immediately. You can have the guitar in your lap plugged into the amp while you do this so you can really dial in the tone. Wave it and play, wave it and play -- no memory degradation of what it sounded like before as would happen during the time you had to yank the pickup out of the guitar and then yank the magnet out of the pu.

I recommend the wave be to the "outside" of the pickups, meaning over the bridge for the bridge pu and over the neck for the neck pu. This way the neo disk's magnetic field doesn't affect the other pickup.
        OK, I hate to necro-bump here, but this article is very compelling and I think a few more things could be clarified for posterity...

1. How does this "waving disk method" apply to humbuckers? could we leave a humbucker in the guitar as well? Would a 1/2" neo mag be strong enough to recharge the magnet through that thick plastic?? (I am in a situation where i need to re-magnetize a magnet and i would rather not have to open up the pickup of course...)

2. once we determine the polarity of the magnet that we will be using to degauss (or in this case re-gauss...), wouldn't we still have to take out the humbucker and figure out the polarity of that magnet as well, so as to not jack up the polarity of that magnet?? Unless, well, it is common knowledge that the N end of the magnet inside the humbucker is always pointing towards the neck and not the bridge. Wait, did i say that correctly??

So yeah, a little more help and clarity on this procedure would be appreciated... I found a tube of NEO magnets at the local hardware store for 3 bucks!!

Also, 2 more questions here:

1. Can we recharge ceramic magnets with this method??

2. Why does iti have to be a neodymnium magnet that we use to do the recharging/ decharging? Someone brought up a good question about just using a really stong normal magnet -like the one off our guitar speakers...Anyway... Cheers...
        Last edited by T.M.A.; 05-27-2016, 08:21 AM.

Comment

1- i dont think you can recharge ceramics, at least ive never seen it done.
          2- neodymium is much stronger than the ceramic magnet on a speaker, up to 18x stronger is what ive heard. the speaker magnet is bigger and im sure you could charge alnico to some extent but not sure itll be enough to hold.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            1- i dont think you can recharge ceramics, at least ive never seen it done.
            2- neodymium is much stronger than the ceramic magnet on a speaker, up to 18x stronger is what ive heard. the speaker magnet is bigger and im sure you could charge alnico to some extent but not sure itll be enough to hold.
            Well, forgive this ignorant question -but how does the ceramic magnet get charged in the first place?? And doesn't stand to reason that if my magnet has been "de-charged" it can then again be re=charged?? Unless, it's just much easier to de-charge a magnet rather than re-charge...?

Comment

ceramic magnets (hard ferrite) are molded and charged as they are made as far as i know. its not easy to charge or de-charge a ceramic magnet

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                ceramic magnets (hard ferrite) are molded and charged as they are made as far as i know. its not easy to charge or de-charge a ceramic magnet
                Hmm... so I'm wondering what may have happened to my pickup then? The resistance is reading the same on my multimeter, but it just doesn't sound right at all. It's hooked up properly and I have two other pickups of the same model that sound as they should... The only thing I can think of is that the magnet has been demagnetized. The pickup was sitting in a box with a very strong neodymnium magnet for a while (stupid on my part) -Could that have demagnetized it perhaps??

Hmm... If one of the leads was jacked up then the resistance would not read as regular on the multimeter, correct??

Comment

in theory yes, a neo mag could have messed things up. they are crazy strong. if the wiring was messed up most likely it would not read correctly but again its hard to say with certainty.

what pup is this? in any case if the magnet is messed up youll probably need to pull it out.

Comment

jeremy, Thanks a lot for getting back to me!!

The pickup is an old stock humbucker from a Westone Spectrum ST. Love the sound of those...

Actually, I think I figured it out. The leads are fine and the magnet is fine as well. I think the main problem was my connection...

I did two things

1. i pulled the pickup apart and flipped the magenet end over end, so that the N pole was till facing towards the neck (didn't know what that was supposed to do, but whatever...)

2. I am using this ancient (the stock one that came with the guitar that I learned how to solder on...) volume pot that has a humongous, R2D2 sized mountain of solder on it. Before, I just smashed the ground from the pup into this mountain of solder, but just now I decided to disconnect the ground and resolder it to the side of the pot where it was clean and solder free... Everything is coming through clean now and the pickup sounds (I think) how it should...

Thanks again for your time...

T

Comment

ive never seen a ceramic lose it charge other than being broken. glad got it working!

Comment

Oh awesome! Problem solved. But it was interesting to me to learn a little bit about magnets.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Apols for raising this thread, but easier to reply to it with a context😀

The procedure with a neo disk seems to degauss only one "half" of the magnet.

Does the other half just fall in line, or is it left at full gauss and the above method is just a "practical" way of semi-degaussing as the pickup is still in the guitar.

Quick and easy has some advantages, I can see, but that other half of the mag is on my mind 😀

Comment

Originally posted by mcentee2 View Post
                            The procedure with a neo disk seems to degauss only one "half" of the magnet.
                            You can't degauss only the "one half", as by definition a magnet is an unity where opposing sides happen to have opposing polarities.

/Peter
                            Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                            Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Makes sense, in my mind I was thinking of the descriptions and processes for magnetising pickups where they were passed through two opposing neos in a vice or similar.

Thanks, Peter.

Rather than buy the Stewmac ones and pay for shipping to the UK I am trying to find similar neo mags in the UK - does anyone know the thickness and "N" strength of the Stewmac 1" magnet so I don't buy rubbish ones! ?
                              Last edited by mcentee2; 04-01-2018, 12:53 PM.

Comment

I don't have specs for my StewMac one but I imagine any good strong neo disc should work just as well.
                                You might send a PM to Zhangliqun if he doesn't pop back into the conversation here soon.
                                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                                X