Home recording, Mac vs. PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home recording, Mac vs. PC

Ok I am getting tired of windows crap over the years. I am entertaining an idea of Mac's lab top. I am planing to use Lexicons Lambda, MassLite's line out direct to lambda most of the time. Q-base/easy drums etc. I am not looking forward to become a safisticated home recorder, just to use it as a tool for writing and communicating my style to future musicians to work with. Considering this, what would you say, Mac or PC?
    Thanks.
    Active Duty Rig:
    MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
    Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

With a laptop you will need a fast hard drive if your projects get into a lot of tracks.
    I have a Macbook with Ableton Live on it and a PC with Logic. The PC and Macbook work equally well, my PC is running XP that has been set up as a music work station.

Ableton Live is a rock solid program and a very good price for the Mac.
    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by innerdreamrecords.co View Post
      With a laptop you will need a fast hard drive if your projects get into a lot of tracks.
      I have a Macbook with Ableton Live on it and a PC with Logic. The PC and Macbook work equally well, my PC is running XP that has been set up as a music work station.

Ableton Live is a rock solid program and a very good price for the Mac.
      +1

Look into an external harddrive and upgrade the RAM after getting it (Apple charges way too much for RAM). I'd personally go with something other than Ableton Live if you want to collaborate with other people actively, as the only people I've met that really use Ableton use it in a live application. Logic, Cubase, and ProTools are the most used DAWs.
      www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

So what you guys are saying, unlike graphics, Mac really does not have anything on PC as far as an overall, more user friendly, better capability home recording platform?
        Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
          So what you guys are saying, unlike graphics, Mac really does not have anything on PC as far as an overall, more user friendly, better capability home recording platform?

If you know how to take care of a PC and have it dedicated to recording, it'll function as well as a Mac will.
          www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
            If you know how to take care of a PC and have it dedicated to recording, it'll function as well as a Mac will.
            I am the ultimate newb for home recording, does that mean the start will be easier on a Mac?
            Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
              I am the ultimate newb for home recording, does that mean the start will be easier on a Mac?
              It might be, but if you've already got a decently powerful system and weren't planning on buying anything new, I wouldn't bother.
              www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Logic Pro 8 on a Mac is a very efficient system. +1 to what the guys said about having a faster drive for audio tracks. I've never used a PC for recording, but I have friends who are using them semi-professionally, they just had to learn how to strip back all of the superfluous stuff that came with Windows to make their system dedicated for recording. Once they did that they had no problems. However, I've never known anyone to go back to PC after extensively using a Mac. There's bound to be somebody, but I haven't met 'em! Spend some time with Logic Pro 8 and I doubt you'll be thinking about Cubase.

Cheers............................wahwah
                Highway Star
                Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                Mistreated
                Cause We Ended As Lovers
                Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
                Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
                  Logic Pro 8 on a Mac is a very efficient system. +1 to what the guys said about having a faster drive for audio tracks. I've never used a PC for recording, but I have friends who are using them semi-professionally, they just had to learn how to strip back all of the superfluous stuff that came with Windows to make their system dedicated for recording. Once they did that they had no problems. However, I've never known anyone to go back to PC after extensively using a Mac. There's bound to be somebody, but I haven't met 'em! Spend some time with Logic Pro 8 and I doubt you'll be thinking about Cubase.

Cheers............................wahwah
                  Meet me! I went back to PC after a year of using my MacBook exclusively, because it was more cost effective to build my own DAW than buy a Mac tower.

I also went from using Logic to Cubase, and I know of a few others. It's all about what you're comfortable on. If you start with Logic, chances are that unless you get heavily involved in the industry and swap to PT, you'll stick with Logic for a long while.
                  www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
                    Meet me! I went back to PC after a year of using my MacBook exclusively, because it was more cost effective to build my own DAW than buy a Mac tower.

I also went from using Logic to Cubase, and I know of a few others. It's all about what you're comfortable on. If you start with Logic, chances are that unless you get heavily involved in the industry and swap to PT, you'll stick with Logic for a long while.
                    Yeah, I can understand that using just a MacBook, especially if it was a G4, would present certain limitations that would make the customized PC more attractive. Also, I'm talking about Logic Pro 8, not previous versions. It's well worth a look. But yes, it's certainly a case of finding what you're comfortable working with. I'd love to use Pro Tools, but not at the expense of using the cheap versions of Digidesign or M-Audio hardware and giving up my Metric Halo! The expense of an HD system is what draws the dividing line between the home recordist and the professional studio operator.

Cheers.............................wahwah
                    Highway Star
                    Goodbye Pork Pie Hat
                    Mistreated
                    Cause We Ended As Lovers
                    Go ahead...check out my solo album @ http://geoffwells.bandcamp.com/

Originally posted by JOLLY
                    Strats are better than Les Pauls.

Comment

Logic 8 is fantastic for the money too. I'm a long time Logic lover.
                      Pulse 2AM - YouTube
                      Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
                        Yeah, I can understand that using just a MacBook, especially if it was a G4, would present certain limitations that would make the customized PC more attractive. Also, I'm talking about Logic Pro 8, not previous versions. It's well worth a look. But yes, it's certainly a case of finding what you're comfortable working with. I'd love to use Pro Tools, but not at the expense of using the cheap versions of Digidesign or M-Audio hardware and giving up my Metric Halo! The expense of an HD system is what draws the dividing line between the home recordist and the professional studio operator.

It was an Intel Core Duo, but yeah, still pretty limited when I started processing more heavily.

As much as they improved Logic 8 over Logic 7, they didn't fix the one things I had the most issues with, hyper editor and drum programming, which renders it fairly useless to me, considering that programming drums is vital to my workflow.
                        www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

To be honest, I love GarageBand on the Mac. It is easy to use even without the manual and does a good job. I was seriously impressed, and recorded a song while on vacation using that program. It did a nice job and so I'm hoping to soon migrate our entire house to the mac.
                          My Website || My Music
                          Originally posted by US Declaration of Independence
                          ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
                          Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Comment

Yeah.. honestly a baseline mac with garageband is all you need for home recording.

Comment

All I want the best representation of my Laney AOR tone from line out of MassLite, sometimes I might have 3 guitar parts to record, and i want good representation of drums tone wise, all I want to do for now is to record the very basic structure so that when I am looking for drummers, singers, bassplayers I can send them a CD or they can download it and learn the piece if they like it and come in and play it.
                              Active Duty Rig:

BadHoarsie Original ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Working...
                              X