Home recording, Mac vs. PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

Good sound is going to be related to how you get sound into the computer, a good interface and a intel Macbook with Garageband would work well.
    Pulse 2AM - YouTube
    Pulse 2AM - iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
      So what you guys are saying, unlike graphics, Mac really does not have anything on PC as far as an overall, more user friendly, better capability home recording platform?
      Macs come with Garage band. For what you said in your original post your not trying to do anything to sophisticated Garage Band will do what you need. For Microphones and Acoustics you will need a preamp of some type. you had mentioned the Lambda. I would recommend a MBox. The Mbox comes with Protools LE and if you plan on doing more sophisticated projects outside of your home system, protools will be more accepted in pro studios.

I am not a pro in the Studio by no means, but the limited items I have done, mainly acoustic guitar Garage Band worked fine.
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

So what you guys are saying, unlike graphics, Mac really does not have anything on PC as far as an overall, more user friendly, better capability home recording platform?
        Not 100% true... PC's are certainly capable and waaay more cost effective for what you can get(though a student discount helps tons) but Macs still have some advantages. For one the the audio engine in tiger is a bit cleaner than anything windows based- not a huge difference(your interface will have a far greater impact) but a difference nonetheless. Secondly, osx is quite a lot more stable. A dedicated recording pc basically means you don't touch the internet. Macs are also a touch more streamlined toward audio editing out of the box.

Example? My saffire pro was having all sorts of crazy popping when running in windows and none in osx. The culprit(thanks jeff for helping me figure that one out) was my wireless internet card. For whatever reason windows treats firewire as a network device. NEVER had weird quirks like that in osx- just worked immediately.

That said- for the price difference it's still more worth building a beastly pc unless you can throw down for a G5.
        Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
        Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
        Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
        Marshall 1960a
        Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

All I want the best representation of my Laney AOR tone from line out of MassLite, sometimes I might have 3 guitar parts to record, and i want good representation of drums tone wise, all I want to do for now is to record the very basic structure so that when I am looking for drummers, singers, bassplayers I can send them a CD or they can download it and learn the piece if they like it and come in and play it.
          You could do that with a standalone box too... Get a Yamaha or Tascam porta-studio with a CD burner.

Mac's have little to nothing on PC's these days... not like it was 5 or even 10 years ago. Biggest "gotcha" with any computer based recording system is to keep it off the interknot but much more true with PC's then Mac's.
          J. 'Moose' Kahrs
          mixer|producer|recordist
          mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
          All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by wahwah View Post
            Logic Pro 8 on a Mac is a very efficient system. +1 to what the guys said about having a faster drive for audio tracks. I've never used a PC for recording, but I have friends who are using them semi-professionally, they just had to learn how to strip back all of the superfluous stuff that came with Windows to make their system dedicated for recording. Once they did that they had no problems. However, I've never known anyone to go back to PC after extensively using a Mac. There's bound to be somebody, but I haven't met 'em! Spend some time with Logic Pro 8 and I doubt you'll be thinking about Cubase.

Cheers............................wahwah
            Agreed. That new logic is very cool. I just need to upgrade to a mac that will run it now!

I like Macs, but it will take a little time to adjust from Windows. It will become second nature quickly though. I have real trouble working a Windows machine now... which probably says more about my mental capacity that it does about the wonder of Macs, but they are great all the same.
            "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
              Meet me! I went back to PC after a year of using my MacBook exclusively, because it was more cost effective to build my own DAW than buy a Mac tower.

I also went from using Logic to Cubase, and I know of a few others. It's all about what you're comfortable on. If you start with Logic, chances are that unless you get heavily involved in the industry and swap to PT, you'll stick with Logic for a long while.
              Ahhh, There`s no need to swap to PT even if you get heavily involved in the industry !! My future setup will be mac,logic pro 8, x-logic (ssl) converters and UA,duende and some waves plugs,i know for sure this`ll be much more flexible for future upgrades than the whole digidesign PT hd gremlin will be !
              sigpic

Comment

I will say one thing about the PC/Mac thing, though. A mac is nice, but it's the BMW of the lineup, if you know what I mean. One can build an equivalent windows or linux based machine for less, but you get what you pay for
                My Website || My Music
                Originally posted by US Declaration of Independence
                ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
                Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Comment

Originally posted by TwinReverb View Post
                  I will say one thing about the PC/Mac thing, though. A mac is nice, but it's the BMW of the lineup, if you know what I mean. One can build an equivalent windows or linux based machine for less, but you get what you pay for
                  We've spent this entire thread for the most part debunking this myth... it's simply not true.
                  www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Kevorkian View Post
                    We've spent this entire thread for the most part debunking this myth... it's simply not true.
                    I don't see it. Mac is better, don't get me wrong, but if you know what you're doing and what you want, you can do cheaper than the Mac if you try. And it can be cheaper if you do it right. Think mini-itx cheap board, linux, expensive high-end sound card, and all non-fan hardware to boot. You can have a very silent very efficient machine. Check out this link posted in 2004 on a guy who records in a basement using such a machine.

However, the mac will win in interface and software. If I was going to choose between the two, I'd get a mac. All I'm saying is that you can go cheaper than a mac. Considering most modern macs are almost totally built on top of PC hardware: intel processor, intel-based hard drive controller. So far (if you read the Hackintosh sites) the only obstacle to make a PC identical to a Mac is the BIOS.

And yes, I am fully aware of Mac's reputation. I'm a musician and my wife is a graphic art and design major in college. We both want a mac
                    My Website || My Music
                    Originally posted by US Declaration of Independence
                    ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
                    Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Comment

Originally posted by TwinReverb View Post
                      I don't see it. Mac is better, don't get me wrong, but if you know what you're doing and what you want, you can do cheaper than the Mac if you try. And it can be cheaper if you do it right. Think mini-itx cheap board, linux, expensive high-end sound card, and all non-fan hardware to boot. You can have a very silent very efficient machine. Check out this link posted in 2004 on a guy who records in a basement using such a machine.

However, the mac will win in interface and software. If I was going to choose between the two, I'd get a mac. All I'm saying is that you can go cheaper than a mac. Considering most modern macs are almost totally built on top of PC hardware: intel processor, intel-based hard drive controller. So far (if you read the Hackintosh sites) the only obstacle to make a PC identical to a Mac is the BIOS.

And yes, I am fully aware of Mac's reputation. I'm a musician and my wife is a graphic art and design major in college. We both want a mac

That's all fine and dandy, but you can still get a PC to run just as, if not more stable than a Mac, if you know what you're doing.

I don't really need to be schooled on Mac vs PC hardware and whatnot - I've been a cross-platform user for the past year and a half, and have built a fair share of DAW dedicated PC's. I can honestly say that the hardware I used to build my stuff is in many ways superior to Apples... I actually think they make pretty craptastic hardware, and I know I'm not alone there.
                      www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

A PC can be really powerfull if it's dedicated only for music...No Internet ,No networking ,No Wi Fi ,No Tv cards or whatever ,Just soundcard ,maybe some outboard DSP/Plug-in hardware to connect ,a master Keyboard and a Great Graphic card/Monitor. Two Fast Hardrives.One for the system ,the other one for the Recordings...
                        Keep the Housing as small as possible ,get fan-less Graphic card...And a liquid cooling sysem.Cubase 4 is extreme good ,and with maximm 10 plug-ins ,you are set for everything...
                        www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

I've only used Windows so I know no better. I suppose that is the key to happiness.
                          °
                          my stuff

Comment

Ok guys you are really freaking me out now, with the dedicated no nothing PC. That was not in my plans. I was thinking of getting Lexicon Lambda, and upgrading my PC with more memory/better drive or getting a mack and run recording on it as well as everything else ... cant be done?
                            Active Duty Rig:
                            MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                            Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

The mac could be used for other stuff with far fewer issues. Wouldn't dream of using a pc unless it was dedicated.
                              Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
                              Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
                              Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                              Marshall 1960a
                              Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by AmirH View Post
                                Example? My saffire pro was having all sorts of crazy popping when running in windows and none in osx. The culprit(thanks jeff for helping me figure that one out) was my wireless internet card. For whatever reason windows treats firewire as a network device. NEVER had weird quirks like that in osx- just worked immediately.

FWIW, and in Windows' defense, this is only a problem with machines that have the wireless card on the same board as the Firewire port... AKA only a couple laptops, Apple included.
                                www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

Working...
                                X