Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Home recording, Mac vs. PC

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
    Apple makes both the hardware and the OS for their computers, making them much, much less prone to the internal destabilization that runs rampant through run-of-the-mill PCs. Add the whole no viruses aspect, and you've got a pretty appealing machine.
    No they don't - they're just picky as hell and build their own cases.

I'm no stranger to Macs. I'm typing this from a MacBook Pro that replaced my old MacBook, and there's an iMac in the house, as well. I know them inside and out, and I absolutely hate what Apple does, hardware wise. I would MUCH rather build a Hackintosh, and that's exactly what I'll be doing next time I want a new machine to run OS X.

Apple's really are quite overpriced for what you get, and if you know anything about the internals of a computer, you can easily put together a machine that will run smooth and fast as hell for a fraction of the cost of a Mac.
    www.JeffDunne.com

Comment

A big problem with PCs is that the hardware is often made by a slew of different companies, and as a result the hardware does not properly communicate with each other. Even big companies like Dell and Gateway are guilty of this - they just assemble the computer for you, and they do so as cheaply as they possibly can
      You wouldn't use any of the "Brand " PC's if you want a decent DAW. You'd get one with a "real" motherboard ,etc.. Preferably piece it together yourself.
      Customize it to suit your needs.
      sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
      - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

I ended up buying a Mac based on the praise that they've received as recording machines. It doesn't hurt some developers only make Mac specific hardware (for instance, Apogee and their Ensemble - which I feel is the best sounding, all in one prosumer device out there). Apple may charge an arm and a leg for upgrades, but I haven't needed more than what my Macbook Pro has (atleast for the size projects I'm messing around with).

I guess over time I've grown to dislike Windows. Things seem to just be slower. I'm sure the lower cost of PC hardware could more than easily offset that, but I just hate how vulnerable PCs seem to be (even with the Antivirus/Antispyware programs I have running). With a Mac I just boot it up and its good to go. It's simply really stable (although in PC's defense, I feel XP Pro SP 2 is really stable too).
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
          Well maybe this thing will make me go back to linux .... Will running Linux require less memory/hard drive resources?
          So, basically if I want to do work from home, browse the net, and recod music using Lamda as interphase all on one machine its I am smoking crack? it aint possible?
          On Linux you get to pick how fat a desktop software you want to run. But even the fancy stuff is lightyears "behind" Windows when it comes to resource trampling.

I found some of the advanced Linux audio software hard to build and hard to run, and some comes with no usable documentation such as the compressor plugins. Had to go into the source code just to find the defaults for the parameters.

Unless you want basic audio stuff you probably have to use one of the specialized distributions specifically built for audio use. There's a variant of Ubuntu that does that.

The ALSA audio driver subsystem is also a confusing and confused piece of software. Once it's up, fine, and more often than not it just comes up right when installing Linux. But some, or most, of the manual configuration is full-scale nightmarish.

Combining all this, just trying to get an equalizer plugin into alsalib (via asoundrc, not using JACK) was about as tough as it gets. Not impressed. Jack didn't run on my Ubuntu at work either, forgot why, or was it just not willing to deal with the EQ plugin?

I do all my recording in Audacity and in my own capturing scripts. Good enough for me, but not for many. Overall I found audio in Linux to be several times more frustrating than doing about anything else in Linux. Even video is easier.

Comment

Thank you all guys, especially VK, I just put an order through for the machine mentioned in last post. Soon, your gaging reflex would be more frequent than you can imagine as you will start seeing my threads here of my horrid playing recorded through mediocre Lambda, by me - a total DAW newb.
            Active Duty Rig:
            MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
            Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mavashi View Post
              Thank you all guys, especially VK, I just put an order through for the machine mentioned in last post. Soon, your gaging reflex would be more frequent than you can imagine as you will start seeing my threads here of my horrid playing recorded through mediocre Lambda, by me - a total DAW newb.
              get ready for:

"Turn the vocals down, no up, no down!"

"I can't hear the snap in the snare!"

"That guitar tone would have worked in 1983, but it sucks now!"

Comment

1983 ???? my Laney is 1984, I am way more modern than that dude.
                Active Duty Rig:
                MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteDonkey View Post
                  To be honest, I love GarageBand on the Mac. It is easy to use even without the manual and does a good job. I was seriously impressed, and recorded a song while on vacation using that program. It did a nice job and so I'm hoping to soon migrate our entire house to the mac.
                  I have a G4 laptop with GB & I have recorded about a dozen tunes with it. I have to redo most of them because I tried to record without a click track and my tempo is all over the place, but it worked really well. I bought a Berhinger V amp as well as a Mbox which came with Pro tools LE. The Pro tools is certainly better, but for what I am trying to do.... I find Garage band to be fine. I'm not trying to cut an album. I'm just putting ideas down. I had initially started using Audacity on my PC & that was real easy to use and Free. I got some pretty good results with it, but the Mac is a little easier for me.
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
                  X