banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Well: Episode 4 - not about pants (maybe)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Well: Episode 4 - not about pants (maybe)

Bungalow Bill asked me to be the next Well host and I was only too happy to comply. I think this is one of the coolest things I've seen on any forum in a long time.

It was supposed to start on Sunday, but since I'm very rarely on the web over the weekends, I asked if I could start today instead.

So here it is - a fresh week, a fresh Well episode - ask away.
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Re: The Well: Episode 4 - not about pants (maybe)

I've been waiting for your Well.

Bee's first...
    What is your most embarrasing moment?

And:
    Are you an avid woodshedder? (I ask because you have awesome chops)

When are you most comfortable?

Do you ever go through phases of being unexcited about all music?

Are you vain?

Have you ever gotten into a physical fight?

How do you feel about dieting?

What intimidates you?
    Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Do you like cornflakes?
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Name one single band or artist you think is obligatory listening for us kids.

And, ditto for the old ones. (30+ )
        My Soundclick

Comment

Great questions so far!

Originally posted by Rainmaker View Post
          I've been waiting for your Well.

Bee's first...
          What is your most embarrasing moment?
          Oh man, I've had a lot of embarrassing moments. It's very hard to single one out as the worst. Later in my life, I've learned to kind of let embarrassment go and not worry about it too much. These days if I do something dumb in public, I give myself a moment throw up my hands and go "Woops! Sorry folks!" and then get on to the business of fixing whatever I broke, so to speak.

I'd say... probably gym class throughout school. I could do all the track and field stuff, weights, dumb school games like dodge ball, etc. as well as the next guy, but the organized team sports were another story. Baseball and basketball specifically were two sports that I dreaded having to play in gym class, because I sucked tremendously at both and still do. It's a combination of a lack of motivation and a lack of initial aptitude / practice at them that made it a pretty painful experience for me and my team any time I had to participate.

I do not like to do things I am not good at doing. I do not make a habit of doing things I am not good at doing.

And:
          Are you an avid woodshedder? (I ask because you have awesome chops)

(Thanks!) Not even remotely.

I practice by writing music that is too difficult for me to play, and then I have to work on it until I can play it. Any skill I have on guitar is 100% applied knowledge - I have never been able to sit and practice scales or modes or whatever. I lack the attention span for focused, repetitive exercise and have to keep pushing creatively to maintain the motivation to play.

When are you most comfortable?

In a rowdy crowd of people, as long there are some people there that already know me. If my band is playing a show at a local bar with another band we know, I'm really comfortable in that situation. I'm expected to be social, and I enjoy working within that expectation.

I'm also really comfortable when I'm just sitting at home on the couch with my girlfriend and my dog, watching a movie or something, but that's a different kind of comfort. Nothing is expected of me and I can kind of indulge my lazier impulses.

Do you ever go through phases of being unexcited about all music?

Yes. Usually these phases coincide with a sort of creative drought where I don't feel like I can come up with anything good, which makes me feel that I can't play very well, which results in frustration with music in general. Luckily these phases do not last forever.

Are you vain?

Absolutely.

Have you ever gotten into a physical fight?

Not since... crap, a long time. My first ever fight happened when I was five - I kicked the neighborhood bully's ass. He ran home crying and never messed with anyone again. That felt great. He probably resorted to torturing small animals, but we never knew about that.

My next fight was in 5th grade, and that got broken up by a teacher before a clear winner was announced.

My last real fight was in 6th grade, when a kid took my hat off my head and threw it at me when I started to chase him - hitting me right under the eye with the bill. I was so pissed that I took him down on the spot and blasted him in the face - bloodying his nose. The crime didn't fit the punishment and I felt so bad about it afterwards that it still bothers me that I acted that way. I haven't had an incident escalate to a physical fight since that day.

How do you feel about dieting?

I don't spend a lot of time thinking about things like dieting. At 6'0", 160 lbs it's not really a concern at this stage in my life.

What intimidates you?

Those 12-year-olds shredding Paganini at 230 bpm at Guitar Center. Other than that, not much. I lack the good sense to be intimidated in a lot of situations where I probably should be.

This became a long post. I'll reply to the other questions below.
          Last edited by sosomething; 10-29-2007, 06:56 AM.
          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Ever have one of those moments when you say or do the perfect thing for a given situation that you look back on your actions with pride? Tell us about that moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
              Do you like cornflakes?
              No, but I do like Kellogg's Frosted Flakes.

They're GRRrrrrrrrrrREAT!

Originally posted by Tor View Post
              Name one single band or artist you think is obligatory listening for us kids.

And, ditto for the old ones. (30+ )
              For the kids:

Whatever genre or genres of music you currently listen to and identify with - go back to the one or two bands who started it all, and then find out and listen to who THEIR influences were.

Kids today have problems comprehending context and progressive sequence. Call it a random access lifestyle - call it whatever you want - but the overwhelming trend among people born after 1989 is to think that everything started with them. Disabuse of that notion is pretty important if we expect today's youth to have any kind of social consciousness or aptitude for critical thinking.

For the incontinent:

Tommy James and the Shondells - to remind them, the next time they pine on about how good music stopped being made in 1978, that deplorably awful derivative pap has been served up as art all along, and the only difference between then and now is that then they were young and curious / aware / proactive in finding quality music, and now they're lazy and expect to be fed quality by guys in suits.

IN GENERAL.

I know first hand a number of notable exceptions to both young and old.
              Last edited by sosomething; 10-29-2007, 10:09 AM. Reason: fixed typo
              -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Scott View Post
                Ever have one of those moments when you say or do the perfect thing for a given situation that you look back on your actions with pride? Tell us about that moment.
                Hmm.

I've had a few of those, big and small, and I'll have to get back to you on this question after some thought.
                -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

What was your first guitar?

Was it hot pink?

What's up with pants?

In a Jamaica stick fight who would win you or Bi Gal?

Why did the chicken cross the road?

What really got you into guitar playing/music?

That's it just off the top of my head.
                  FOR GEARJONESER.......... I HOPE THIS ONE IS LESS OBNOXIOUS AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

sigpic

Originally posted by Stratman
                  I never heard anybody say he caught anything from a fly. My cousin gave two guys the clap, and nobody ever whacked her with a newspaper.
                  Originally posted by tone4days
                  cus 14 y.o. girls get faster every year

Comment

Originally posted by tubeman87 View Post
                    What was your first guitar?

Was it hot pink?

What's up with pants?

In a Jamaica stick fight who would win you or Bi Gal?

Why did the chicken cross the road?

What really got you into guitar playing/music?

That's it just off the top of my head.
                    A Squier Strat.
                    No.
                    It's just a nice, succinct word that sometimes gets stuck in my brain.
                    Draw.
                    Pants.
                    Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Metallica got me into guitar. When I was 12, a buddy of mine got me into Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, and Metallica.
                    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Cheers for the replies, good read.

Metallica with Jerry Cantrell replacing Kirk Hammett...

OR

Nirvana with Jerry Cantrell taking guitar duties from Kurt?
                      Originally posted by Kanye West
                      Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

what did the budgie do to deserve it?

Comment

Metallica with Jerry Cantrell replacing Kirk Hammett...

OR

Nirvana with Jerry Cantrell taking guitar duties from Kurt?
                          I cannot state emphatically enough: NEITHER.

JC would get very little creative input in Metallica were he to take Hammett's place, and that would be a tremendous waste of talent. Plus, Metallica's problems stem from Lars being too lazy and behind the "metal curve" for drummers these days and James' touchy-feely sobriety.

Nirvana just wouldn't work with a metal head playing guitar. Kurt's crappy playing went a long way toward giving that band the sincerity and personality that it had.

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          what did the budgie do to deserve it?
                          It kept giving me funny looks.
                          -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Do you tried 7 or 8 string guitars?
                            Do you plan to "jump" on a new level as a musician...Like just taking everything a step further?
                            www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

What do you envision your life to be 20 years from now?

What is the minimum amount of gear you could gig with?
                              Last edited by bungalowbill; 10-29-2007, 09:10 AM.
                              Originally posted by tone4days
                              we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Working...
                              X