banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check out this "tonewood" statement . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Check out this "tonewood" statement . . .

I have an aluminium guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
      Yeah that's all great and all, but what tonewood do I use to get Eddie tone?

Balsa and knotty pine.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

That would be like saying a tin can sounds like a brass bell. EVERYTHING has a specific tone. Tonewoods are called tone woods for a reason. A 4 foot plank of wood cut into individual identical guitar bodies may not sound identical due to differences in grain, pores, density, etc. I once had a Zola flamed Maple capped Honduran Mahogany strat/soloist body that I couldn't make sound good no matter what bridge, pickup or electronics I installed. The body had a real Fender strat maple neck.

If you add mass or take it away, that will have an effect on overall tone. Lighter or heavier, metal or plastic. Everything affects the overall tone. Black Korina does not sound like Swamp Ash, Mahogany does not sound like Poplar, Alder does not sound like Purple Heart.

Comment

I don't quite know what I think about tonewood. I don't quite have the largest pool of guitars to base my opinions on, but I have noticed something interesting between my LP and ES 175. The only difference between the two, other than the obvious wood and body style differences, are that the LP has Burstbucker 1 and 2 pickups and the ES has 57/57+ pickups. Also the g is wound on the ES and the treble strings are a bit thicker.

The acoustic difference as what you would expect, the ES is darker and bassier, while the LP has a more aggressive sound. But when I plug them in the ES has a pluckier sound with almost a bit too much of a bass roll off. At first I thought it was the pickups, so I swapped the pickup sets between the guitars and the lack of bass on the ES still persisted. Has anyone else had an experience with a guitar so that the acoustic differences didn't quite line up with the electric differences?

Comment

Here's the best tone wood you can get, at any price. And it has tone in "spades".

Join this channel to get Guitar Lessons and other Exclusive perks from Justin Johnson: https://www.youtube.com/justinjohnsonlive/join♠️ Justin Johnson Signat...

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              Here's the best tone wood you can get, at any price. And it has tone in "spades".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-ltPsbw9g
              Yeah, but is that an A3 or A4 magnet in there?

Comment

Originally posted by voggin View Post
                Why not buy one and find out?
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by voggin View Post
                  Sounds like an A1.5

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
                    O'K, I'm lost...how did girls throwing guitars get into this?
                    I don't know, but I approve of "girls doing anything with guitars" in any thread I start.

I'm also impressed with the civility, and information, put forth in this thread so far.

Comment

Working...
                    X