X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well IX

Originally posted by theodie View Post
    +1, just play that thang!
    C, Where did you get that hat? That thing would not work on me but, you pull it off quite well. It is so you that it is kind of your trademark. Kind of like Slashes top hat.
    I wouldn't call the hat a tradmark but I do wear it lot...in fact I have more than one of them.
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
      When are you going to amass enough analog recording gear that we can get you to lay down some serious tracks with Christian's All Night Sonic Mayhem and Old Time Religion Ragtime Band?
      What's your favorite ZZ Top tune? Do you have any plans for a ZZ Top tribute band and if you do will you grown your own or will you wear a fake beard?
      Scott, I think I might have to give in to the digital deal...there is a Pro Tools studio less than 2 miles from my house and Im hoping to book some time early next year...maybe just do it one track at a time. "Christian's All Night Sonic Mayhem and Old Time Religion Ragtime Band" has a ring to it but I was thinking of a title a bit shorter...

Fav ZZ Tune...not sure "Brown Sugar" always seems to hit the spot as does "Just Got Back from Babys", "Enjoy and Get it On" from Tejas is a great track as well another real biggie for me is "Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings" from Fandango!...Top tunes are like chips...I can't have just one!

I actually wouldn't mind playing in a Top tribute once in a while but I'd have to go with the old school BFG...with the short beard or no beard...there is no way I could get mine that long and a fake would just suck...
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by jerryjg View Post
        Scenario. ; Youve got 12 hours alone with the holy grail of guitars, the now 1/2 million dollar vintage 1959 Les Paul Standard, but can only choose 2 amps to play it out of.
        Once the 12 hours are up..poof, its gone.
        What amps are you gonna choose??
        Well since we're dreaming Im sure I could dream up a place big enough to crank a Marshall stack so we'll go with a Plexi head and since we're dreaming big already 2 4x12 cabs...heck, thats plenty enough. But if I really had to pick 2 amps get me an old tweed and we're good!

Comment

Originally posted by chopstherocker View Post
          At what age did you start playing guitar? Do you play any other instruments?
          Do you realize that once you enter a gear thread, people like myself REALLY pay attention?
          Hmm...I got my first guitar when I was about 5 or so I guess and did nothing with it at all...it was a solid body Silvertone with a single lipstick pickup and an amp in the case...cool rig and I just couldn't be bothered to really learn anything. When I was about 11 I begged my dad from a drum set nd he was happy to get me one so I started playing drums at age 11 and actually that ws my first "job"...I started playing in a Blues/Rock/Southern Rock band when I was about 12 or maybe 13 with a bunch of guys that were nearly 3 times my age and we played several bars and clubs in and around Atlanta.

When I was about 15 I got a bass and I was thinking once I had a bass I could "write songs"...it was a real bad idea...I thought i'd be able to write on bass but I wasn't so after about 6 months I grabbed a cheep acoustic and started teaching myself to play guitar...I was 16 then and I've never really looked back. I still play bass from time to time and still play drums too. I've tried other thngs as well...banjo, mandolin, dobro, piano/keyboards, etc but none of those things really feel right to me.

I still am pretty interested in both mandolin as well as lap steel and I think I might make a move towards one or both of those next year...it just all depends.

Im glad you and others can learn from my posts...I've been around a bynch of greet musicians pretty much all my life and since I was about 13 I've been on and off the stage with them learning as much as I could about everything...I love to pass that knowledge on to anyone that will listen.

Comment

Did you cry with tears of joy when I asked you to be in my wedding? LOL!

Seriously though....

When are you REALLY gonna get a new cab and speakers for the Twin?

Describe how it really feels to be a true gangsta.
            I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Name the one peice of gear your dad owns that you would sell your plasma to own. Please descibe it with all the gorey details including how it sounds to you.

Comment

Hey Christian,

Nice to have you in The Well! List for us a handful of books (say, 3-5) that you've found to be particularly useful or interesting when it comes to picking up gear knowledge.

- Keith
                Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post

I actually wouldn't mind playing in a Top tribute once in a while but I'd have to go with the old school BFG...with the short beard or no beard...there is no way I could get mine that long and a fake would just suck...
                  You sure? Because.....
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                    Scott, I think I might have to give in to the digital deal...there is a Pro Tools studio less than 2 miles from my house and Im hoping to book some time early next year...maybe just do it one track at a time.
                    Fool Toolz?! Oh no! Say it ain't so...

haha

Have you thought much about getting a band back together? Focus on original music or covers?

If you could only have one gee'tar... and one amp... (but lots of pedals) what would they be?
                    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                    mixer|producer|recordist
                    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Man....not sure how exactly I missed this WELL thing, but it seems fairly cool !!!

TGWIF has been my semi-personal "Tone Guru" (along with Lew, Gearjoneser & a handful of others).

The dude is so friggin' knowledgeable, it's mind boggling. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast most days!!!!

My question:

Ever been to S. Florida & plan on it any time soon????

Cold beer waiting for ya' any time Brutha !!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                      Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                      FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

85 posts in and you still haven't answered my questions.......chicken! LOL!!!
                        '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

-Did you cry with tears of joy when I asked you to be in my wedding? LOL!

No, I threw up a little in my mouth...

-Seriously though....
                          When are you REALLY gonna get a new cab and speakers for the Twin?

Maybe never, it just depends...I really do need to decide on a sewt of speakers for it but as often as I don't play it it kind of seems dumb to put another 400-500 clams into it...

However your Vibrolux is your only amp...when are you gonna get another cab for it???

-Describe how it really feels to be a true gangsta.

In a word...Good

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Scott View Post
                            Name the one peice of gear your dad owns that you would sell your plasma to own. Please descibe it with all the gorey details including how it sounds to you.
                            Ya know, my dads not much of a gear head...in fact it bothers him that i'm so into gear! That said he has owned and does own some pretty cool pieces...

He used to have an old Rick 620 (I think it was a 620) solid body beast that was completely gutted and hacked up pretty bad when he got it...it ended up with fat frets, no finish on the neck a tremolo and 2 full size buckers...one of which was a real deal PAF...it was in the bridge and it had an unknown DiMarzio in the "neck"...I say "neck' because the pickup was actually in the middle position and the neck spot had no pickup...that was a killer sounding guitar but Im not sure I could actually play it much.

He also used to have a 74 Gretsch Super Chet (NOT at ALL to be comfused with a Super Axe...) that was pretty sweet on it's on.

There dozens of amps that come to mine..

Hmm, if I had to name something he owns NOW I'd have to say his 74 Guild S-100. It was nearly mint condition when he bought it and not it's lookin like SRV's #1...ALL natural play wear. That guitar plays and sound like a million bucks...it's easily one of if not the best 2 bucker axe my dad's ever owned...

I'll see if I can get a pic or 2 of it next time Im at his place...

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
                              Hey Christian,
                              Nice to have you in The Well! List for us a handful of books (say, 3-5) that you've found to be particularly useful or interesting when it comes to picking up gear knowledge.
                              - Keith
                              Keith, thanks!

Im not much for books in general as my attention span is too short most of the time so a lot of my gear knowledge that came from print came from articles in mags...Im a big fan of VIntage Guitar...lots of good stuff in there!

As for full on books...There is a ton of info in either of Gerald Webers books, Aspin Pittman put out a few good books but you have to weed through the BS to get real good info...

On the guitar front there is The Beauty of The Burst, The Blackguard Book, Fender: The First 50 Years...lots really, those are just 3 I can see from my shelf right now!

If you really want to look into some killer books go to

and just find a few books that look good to ya...those guys know their stuff and wouldn't sell too many bad books...

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                                You sure? Because.....
                                OK...maybe not!

Comment

Working...
                                X