• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well IX

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
    Fool Toolz?! Oh no! Say it ain't so...
    haha
    Have you thought much about getting a band back together? Focus on original music or covers?
    If you could only have one gee'tar... and one amp... (but lots of pedals) what
    would they be?
    Ahh...I know dude but the only all analog studio even close to me is over an hour drive plus they cost half again as much as this place plus these guys are less than a mile from my house!!!

It's not a perfect situation but it works and im sure the quality will be better than what I get in my spare bedroom! Well...maybe!

I have acually been talking to guys around town about playing again but around here guys just seem to be interested in 2 things...either starving and waiting for the big record deal OR playing crappy covers in crappy bars for money...neither of those interest me at all...

One guiar, one amp...the guitar is not an easy choice but I'd say my R8...that coud change in 15 minutes but right now it's the LP...for the amp, right now it's my Brown Deluxe...it just sounds great clean or dirty and it feels right...it just has that vibe that makes me want to play...my V Front Super is hella nice too but right now the Deluxe edges it out for me, but much like the guitar that could change at amy minute...if I had a room big enough to use it correctly I would for a 50 watt plexi halfstack but the Deluxe gets close enough to that tone for me and it's easy to crank and even easier to carry!

Pedals...right now the list is farily short: My AM King of Tone, AM Beano Boost, Teese wah, my AM modded Fuzz Face thats on the way and my Echoplex...thats a whole lotta rig!!!
    If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99 View Post
      Man....not sure how exactly I missed this WELL thing, but it seems fairly cool !!!
      TGWIF has been my semi-personal "Tone Guru" (along with Lew, Gearjoneser & a handful of others).
      The dude is so friggin' knowledgeable, it's mind boggling. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast most days!!!!
      My question:
      Ever been to S. Florida & plan on it any time soon????
      Cold beer waiting for ya' any time Brutha !!!!
      You guys are relly too much...Im no guru, thats for sure! Hell, to be honest I can't remember what I had for breakfast!!!

S. Flordia...never been but one day Im gonna make it down there!!

As soon as mypersonla life permits Im gonna catch u on all my travel and there are several forum bros on the list...your on there for sure!!! Im bringing more brews!!!
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Originally posted by JumpMarine View Post
        85 posts in and you still haven't answered my questions.......chicken! LOL!!!
        Originally posted by JumpMarine View Post
        Great choice for the next well!
        So Christian, my friend, where do you see yourself in 20 years?
        What inspires you?
        Who do you think is the next "Guitar Hero" if there are any?
        What is your favorite era of music?
        How many licks does it take to get the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop?
        What was your most embarrasing moment?
        Proudest moment?
        Current GAS?
        DANG!!! I didn't even see this question!!!

Hmm, 20 years...not quite bald, not quite wall to wall...hopefully still alive, healthy, happy and playin the blues...if I get that I'll be happy. I'd like to be lookin at the idea of retiring around then but more than likely thats a little too soon

What inspires me...talent!!! REAL talent and the desire for someone to use it in a positive way. Good music, good friends, good beer, good gear...all those things can inspire too but talent is at the top of the list!

Guitar hero...there hasn't been one in a long time now...I have seen a few guys out ther with a little fire in their bellys but nothing that says "Guitar Hero" to me...nothing along the lines of a Clapton or Hendrix...

Fav era...thats tough, there was a lot of great blues from the 30's 40's and 50's for sure. There is good (and bad) music from every era...I would have to say that the 60's were a very cool time in music and the 70's as well...if I had to pick one 10 year time span I would say from maybe 1964 until about 1974...that sounds good! However I have to be hoenst...there is some really good music being made right now! Remember...there is real music out there and real people are makin' it!

I don't like tootsie pops but the wise old Owl says 3...

I was asked earlier about an embarrasing moment...I still can;t think of one so I'll pass until it comes to me...

Proudest moment...I have several that come to mind...I love to play live with my dad...it's just a thrill, it's nerve racking because he'd smoke me in a minute but I still love it.

Very little in the world can compare with hearing your music on the radio...

I love when a recording session comes to a close and I can sit back and listen to all the hard work on tape...that usally makes me feel proud.

Current GAS...
        -Gibson Barney Kessel
        -Fender Princeton
        -MK II Tonebender
        -ES335
        -Several cool teles I have in my head

Thats plenty for now!

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
          Ahh...I know dude but the only all analog studio even close to me is over an hour drive plus they cost half again as much as this place plus these guys are less than a mile from my house!!!

It's not a perfect situation but it works and im sure the quality will be better than what I get in my spare bedroom! Well...maybe!
          heh heh... That digital juju suuuuuuuure is convenient huh?

Do you still play drums? Would you be playing them on that stuff? I didn't know you played tubs... TOTALLY not surprised though!

I have acually been talking to guys around town about playing again but around here guys just seem to be interested in 2 things...either starving and waiting for the big record deal OR playing crappy covers in crappy bars for money...neither of those interest me at all...
          We've talked about that...

The new model.

Not waiting for the big rekkid company to come along, because they probably won't, and even if they do the musicians are going to get screwed in some way or another.

Starving for original music has always been the case... But what's the lessor, or better of two evils? Playing covers in krappy bars for krappy money or playing original, emotionally moving music that you believe in for krappy money in krappy bars & building a fan base, one at a time?

Maybe seek world domination through the interknots... lol

Be 'yer own gee'tar hero.
          J. 'Moose' Kahrs
          mixer|producer|recordist
          mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
          All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

I do still play trap here and there, and I still own a hella nice kit...1974 custom ordered Ludwig kit...mounted tom sits on a basket stand (no bass tom mounts at all) and all the drums are oversized in depth but about 2 inches, solid maple rings an both toms and the bass drum...kits sounds great but could use a little TLC...it's been a while since I was gigging with them so they have been just sitting.

Im not sure whats gonna happen with this music thing, it all depensd on what happens wiht these other guys in the next few weeks...since we've been talking it's been the holiday season but soon that won't be the case and Im gonna see if we can get it rolling and if not I'll just do what I feel like I wanna do on my own!

Thanks for those links BTW...Im gonna call on one of them tomorrow!
            Last edited by the guy who invented fire; 12-03-2007, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Hey Christian,
              I'm still having a ton of fun with the Blue Box bro! I'm driving my old lady nuts with it. I was just wondering, what kind of humbuckers are your personal favorite for Les Pauls? Also, thanks for helping me out with the speaker selection for my Marshall cab. I am supposed to be getting them for Christmas.

Comment

Have you pondered on my two questions yet?
                My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
                  Hey Christian,
                  I'm still having a ton of fun with the Blue Box bro! I'm driving my old lady nuts with it. I was just wondering, what kind of humbuckers are your personal favorite for Les Pauls? Also, thanks for helping me out with the speaker selection for my Marshall cab. I am supposed to be getting them for Christmas.
                  Glad you're diggin the BB!

Buckers...I really like the vintage style stuff Duncan makes and Im fond of Alnico II magnets. My fav buckers are a tie between Pearly Gates and Antiquities. The PG's are sweet and rude at the same time and have an amazing bite and attack that I really love. I have a set of them in my 1982 Moderne. Ants are more melloow and warm but a beautiful woody tone with a lot of air or space in the tone, not to say that they don;t have bite because they do but thay are not as aggressive as the PG's, I use them in my R8. I do like others though...Seth Lovers are cool but to me the Ants edge them out, Alnico II Pro's are cool too but again the others edge them out however my old Yamaga SG2000 is loaded wiht an Alnico II Pro in the neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge...I think about it like a modern PAF set...

Comment

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                    Have you pondered on my two questions yet?
                    A bit...I will try and post you an answer this afternoon...

Comment

• Re: The Well IX

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                      Hmm, if I had to name something he owns NOW I'd have to say his 74 Guild S-100. It was nearly mint condition when he bought it and not it's lookin like SRV's #1...ALL natural play wear. That guitar plays and sound like a million bucks...it's easily one of if not the best 2 bucker axe my dad's ever owned...

I'll see if I can get a pic or 2 of it next time Im at his place...
                      Thanks. That would be cool to drool over. We're all GAS-aholics here, so it's cool to see something with mojo like that which is also sort of a family heirloom. I thought your dad was a gear head like you? That's Greg's description of him IIRC, but my memory is almost as short as my...

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Scott View Post
                        Thanks. That would be cool to drool over. We're all GAS-aholics here, so it's cool to see something with mojo like that which is also sort of a family heirloom. I thought your dad was a gear head like you? That's Greg's description of him IIRC, but my memory is almost as short as my...

I was really surprised when I met C's dad with all the gear knowledge he was spitting out. Heck I sure thought he was. It may just be a thing of he has been around a while and has tons of experience.

You should ask C about the little modded Epiphone amp his dad let me try out! HAHAHAHA!! Very cool amp!
                        I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Scott View Post
                          My dad's into gear but nothing like me or most of the rest of us...he just picks up a guitar and an amp and goes for it. He's not much for pedals at all and even less into swapping gear all the time...he has his Guild and a standby for that a Strat and a standby for that and a few amps...all slightly odd BTW...and a few (and I mean FEW) pedals and thats it...

Comment

Originally posted by VIBROLUX View Post
                            I was really surprised when I met C's dad with all the gear knowledge he was spitting out. Heck I sure thought he was. It may just be a thing of he has been around a while and has tons of experience.
                            You should ask C about the little modded Epiphone amp his dad let me try out! HAHAHAHA!! Very cool amp!
                            He's got a lot of knowledge but he's not a gear head like me, or most of us here...

The little Epi was pretty cool...you could've had that amp for nearly nothing but you always seem to pass onthe good stuff!

Comment

What's the best deal, or one piece that you passed on (for whatever reasons) and regret NOT getting?
                              J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                              mixer|producer|recordist
                              mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                              All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
                                What's the best deal, or one piece that you passed on (for whatever reasons) and regret NOT getting?
                                Wow...I have passed on several cool pieces over the years...

The one(s) that stick out to me are a Historic 68CA Les Paul Custom from a few years ago at a GC or all places...one of the best Les Pauls I've ever played hands down...new, old, vintage whatever...it was amazing and I should have bought it but didn't.

There was a 66 SG Special complete with crappy tremolo that I passed on. That was a sweet guitar...light weight, baseball bat neck and a pair of honkin P-90's...it was also being sold for nearly nothing but I just didn't feel like messing with it at the time...it needed a new nut, bridge and a fret job but even as-is it was still playable...should have bought that one for sure!

There was also a very cool Gretsch Corvette I saw once and really wanted but just couldn't make myself throw down for it.

A Hofner 12 string acoustic that was killer...in a pawn shop of all places...sounded great but by the time I went back for it, it was gone...

A very cool, fat neck Les Paul Artisan, walnut top, 3 pickups that I still wish I had snapped up...I passed on that because it had EMGs that I hated and I didn't want to mess with new pickups!

There was also (and I really, REALLY hate this one...) a 1973 goldtop Les Paul Signature semi hollow that I loved...the guy said he'd sell it to me but I just never could get the money up...I guess I didn't "pass' on it I just couldn't make it happen but that was a kick butt guitar!!

There was also my late 50's Melody Maker FUBAR that I still regret...I did buy it but only owned it for a few short minutes...

I guess I've done alright without them but the Melody Maker still haunts me and that SG Special was a sweet axe...in fact I know the guy that ended up with the SG, after the work it needed it turned into a killer axe! And I still wish I could have come up wiht the cash for that LP Sig but it just wasn't in the cards.

Comment

Working...
                                X