X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well XI. My name is Curly.

Hi Curly.

Well, knowing about your Israeli connection I have to ask you about your time in the Kibbutz - how was it? how was Israel in the early 80's? do you ever plan of visiting again?

Comment

Curly since you area a well respected man about town are you a Kinks fan?

Great choice on the PG/FM tune.
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Great intro, Curly!

A lot of people like to hear about great live moments. Go ahead and tell us about the greatest moment you experienced playing music before an audience.

I'm more interested in this second question. Tell us about the greatest personal music moment you experienced while playing on your own. It could be one time when you were practicing by yourself in your bedroom or basement, it could be something you discovered while you were trying different gear in a music store...whatever.

- Keith
        Originally posted by ImmortalSix
        I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Curly...one of my faves!!!

what's you most memorable "Forum Moment"?

if you could live anywhere besides California...where would it be?

what song has your favorite guitar tone/sound in it?

hope you have an awesome Christmas!

later,
          mike
          Originally posted by jeremy
          God hates bad guitar tone
          GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
          AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
          EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
          Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Hey ya Curly,

Most of your guitars are either Strats or Teles, and most of them homemade. You do stellar work, by the way.

1. You are such a fan of the Blues, do you find that you play Blues different on your Teles versus your Strats? If so, how so?
            2. Your white blonde Tele in your avatar is such a beauty, would you mind tell us a little more about it, in fact how about telling us a lot about it.

Cheers,
            -Butch

Comment

Curly,
              You are the same age as my dad and mom. I can't help but to think that yall grew up during an era where so many things were being invented musically. My favorite musical invention that you got to watch and be apart of is rock n' roll.

Can you tell us what that was like and what you thought of the new genre as it was blossoming?
              I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
                never! that biotch!

jump was in town visiting, and we planned to go to House of Blues for Sunday Gospel Brunch. We got there, and they said the second show was cancelled to prepare for Ashley Simpson's evening concert. There were a bunch of teeny boppers hangin' around, just waiting to see Ashley.

biotch!

I've been to a Gospel Brunch, and it's my kind of music, and my kind of food!

We'll get there one day, Ryan.
                LOL, someday brother....someday!
                '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Wow, so many great questions!
                  It's an honor, privilege, and challenge to answer them.

Originally posted by Tor View Post
                  Hi Curly. Can you elaborate on one single event in your lifetime, that you learned from, and which is something others could learn from as well?

Can you name one single band or artist which you think should be obliagory listening for us kids?
                  Tor,
                  great question, and tough to answer. I do feel bad that I didn't finish college. I was a good student in high school, but I struggled to find my direction afterwards, so I would advise people to really know themselves, understand what they are good at, and pursue that as much as possible, and seek out good advice wherever you can find it.
                  In my case, I had to learn a lot of things the hard way. I try to make up for that by challenging my niece and nephew to stay focused, and stay in college. The rest will come easier.

As far as listening, I wouldn't pick an artist, but rather I'd say listen to all kinds of music. My first year in college, I had kind of a narrow minded taste in music, but I took a music appreciation class, and got exposed to classical music. I also was going to a great little record store, and the owner turned me on to a lot of good jazz, like Coltrane, Eddy Harris, Bola Sete, and blues like Albert King. Those things really expanded my mind musically, and made me not just a better player, but a better listener, and a better musician.

Originally posted by Stratman View Post
                  Curly.

Having you do the holiday season well is well just the best way to enjoy this season....
                  Larry,

My favorite phrase of the season is, "Peace on Earth, Goodwill towards Men"
                  Originally posted by JohnnyGuitar View Post
                  Hi Curly.

Well, knowing about your Israeli connection I have to ask you about your time in the Kibbutz - how was it? how was Israel in the early 80's? do you ever plan of visiting again?
                  My time in Israel was one of the best experiences in my life. I'll try to dig up a couple pictures from then.
                  I was there about seven months, on Kibbutz Yagur, near Haifa. I split my time between working in the cotton fields, and studying Hebrew. I also managed to tour most of the country, and spent about ten days in Egypt.

I felt right at home because I was from a farm town, and I got along well with the residents and volunteers. I really enjoyed meeting people from all over the world, and hearing all the different languages. Besides music, I have an interest in different cultures and languages, so that made Israel a great learning experience.

I also got in great shape, and had a beautiful girlfriend from Argentina. One of my real regrets was not staying longer.

Israel was pretty peaceful in '80-'81, but I saw a recent piece on TV that said the economy is doing well now, and Israel is flourishing. I'd like to get back sometime. My nephew is coming home from college tomorrow, then he's off to Israel for about two weeks, so it will be good to hear what he has to say.
                  Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                  Curly since you area a well respected man about town are you a Kinks fan?

Great choice on the PG/FM tune.
                  hey, Scott ...
                  I really was into the Beatles, but I loved all the other groups too!

in high school, we covered "All Day and All of the Night", "You Really Got Me", and "Tired Of Waiting". (I mean, who can forget the solo to "All Day and All Night"?)

-----------------
                  OK, to be continued later ....
                  "music heals"
                  facebook

Comment

1) Are you typically a daytime person or a nght-owl?

2) Do you think that music can motivate people or effect change individually or collectively?

3) What was your greatest moment in the art of chili cookery?

4) Favorite Batman villain?
                    Hoo Hooooo Hooo Hoooooooo

http://talktobears.hearnow.com

Sent from an old crank telephone in rural GA

Comment

Curly, if you were 17 years old today and thought like a teenager again, had no gear, but $2500 cash, what would you go out and buy.

Who's the one guitar player, living or dead, that you would have traded your life for?
                      An even swap...."my life is now yours, and your's is now mine."
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Curly, do you play in a band or jam with other folks?

Also, do you know where our buddy Stevo has been? Haven't heard from him in ages around here. I talked to him on the phone before and he's a great guy.

Comment

Thanks for great answers to my questions!

I have one more: can you describe yourself with on single word?
                          My Soundclick

Comment

What's your favorite movie/actor/actress?

What are you book are you reading at the moment?

What other hobbies do you have outside of music?
                            '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

To start off, i'd like to thank you for the wisdom you have shared back when I first started my tele project. Without the sage advice from people like you on the forum, I doubt this project would have been successful. If all goes well, early 2008 I'll have a thread with tons of pics of it.

What inspired you to start piecing together strats and teles?

Is there any color/s that you would never do?

*entering nerd round*

If you could have one super power what would it be?

Who is your favorite super hero or super villian?

Who is your favorite character?

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                                Curly, if you were 17 years old today and thought like a teenager again, had no gear, but $2500 cash, what would you go out and buy.
                                That should be a required question of anyone hosting The Well....

Nice one Joe...
                                -Butch

Comment

Working...
                                X