$665 for an ADA Flanger = Crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $665 for an ADA Flanger = Crazy

I was just bidding on one of these on ebay, ended up going for $620 +25 shipping and it didn't have a PS so factor in about $20 for an 18v EHX one, so about $665 total!!!!

I used to have one of the reissues in the late 90's and it was a great sounding flanger honestly. I was thinking going up to $300 was a bit excessive honestly but my god, more than twice that in the last few minutes, thats insane.

Does any flanger sound nearly $700 good ? I don't think so, its an effect I personally seldom use.

The ADA did a decent chorus sound to boot mind you, but still, nearly $700 for a flanger......

Whats this world coming to lol
    -Burny Randy Rhoads LP Custom- C5/59 Hybrid Bridge/Fernades Vh-1 PAF neck
    -Epi Goldtop - Custom Shop Mike Ness p90's
    -Epi Masterbilt AJ500R rosewood
    -Fender Classic Player 60's strat CS 69'

-Gretsch Black Phoenix - TV Jones Classics
    -Danelectro Dano Pro Baritone

Re: $665 for an ADA Flanger = Crazy

Yeah, they sure are collectible, and that's the only reason for the inflated price.

I got lucky, finding 78/79 from a guy who didn't know what it was worth. I gave him $85 about 5 years ago.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I think my used reissue cost maybe $125 or so lol. I know it was a little bit more than the brand new Boss BF-2 purple flanger the store also had.

I sure wish I had kept my original Whammy, and ADA and original Star Wars figures etc etc etc. I could retire tommorow and live off ebay money !

Comment

That and the Lovetone ? Flanger both go for obnoxious amounts of cash.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I knew these were sought after, but I had no idea. Maybe if I was a pro studio guitarist and I had to have THAT sound.

Maybe I should have held on to my old ADA phaser until I could get $500 for it.
          "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
          Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
          guitar pic site
          Original prog rock on soundcloud
          Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
          Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

At this point, you'd purchase as much for collectability as you would for sound.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Its something of a shame really when good quality effects get priced to where they no longer can be afforded by musicians and/or those who do have said items can't justify using/keeping them due to their value

Comment

Originally posted by millsart View Post
                Its something of a shame really when good quality effects get priced to where they no longer can be afforded by musicians and/or those who do have said items can't justify using/keeping them due to their value
                Yeah man.

Holy moly.

I'd love an ADA flanger.

I feel lucky enough to have a pair of '70s MXRs and a newer Electric Mistress here... but geeez... $700 for a box? I dunno. That's collector/rockstar money. Too rich for me. Still, the ADA goes to places that NOTHING else can...

I wouldn't gig with it, but it WOULD be a solid day after day studio piece in my world...
                J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                mixer|producer|recordist
                mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek View Post

Maybe I should have held on to my old ADA phaser until I could get $500 for it.
                  Man, I would love to find someone selling an ADA Final Phase for a non-collector price!

Heck, I'd even settle on finding the footpedal that goes with the Flanger and Final Phase.

I like my ADA Flanger. Inside, there's a bunch of mini pots, controlling all aspects of the tone. When I brought mine home, I sat on the floor all night with my mini screwdriver, dialing in each part of the circuit to find it's Q points by ear.

It's a cool pedal, and even better if all the mini pots are set for the perfect sweeps on all the knobs.

Comment

The MXR flanger is definatly a good flanger (the reissue is actually really nice too which is saying something as its a Dunlop pedal) though its rather different than the ADA.

The ADA can do all of the sounds of the MXR, but the MXR can't do all of the sounds of the ADA is one way to look at it.

The ADA was just a unit that really took flange to the next level but as cool as it was, not for nearly $700. A FoxRox TZF looks like a deal next to that price!

Would be very cool if BYOC was making a clone, but I'd for one be very surprised to see it happen. I think the ADA either used some rather rare componets or something along those lines as I've come across very, very few builders who have ever produced a clone and I've been searching them out for a while. I'm not talking about just commerical builders either.

I think given the popularity of the original or the reissue, and the prices they are going for, if there was a way to do it, you'd definatly see the likes of Retro Sonic et al with a box out there for the "deal" of $400 or so as you do with vibe's, CE-1's etc

Comment

I don't leave my pedalboard anywhere it could be stolen, but I never think twice about using every cool toy I've got....that's what I own them for.

It's almost hard to believe that the sum total of just the original Klon and 78 ADA is nearly $1400. I don't care...I'm never selling either.

Comment

Out of curiosity what do you use the Line 6 Modulation box for in your rig ? Given you've already got the Fulltone Choralflange and ADA flanger I'd think you'd be pretty set on modulation effects, save for a trem and vibe, but given the quality of the rest of your rig I'd be a bit taken back if you said you used the line6 for its vibe settings LOL

Comment

Out of curiosity what do you use the Line 6 Modulation box for in your rig ? Given you've already got the Fulltone Choralflange and ADA flanger I'd think you'd be pretty set on modulation effects, save for a trem and vibe, but given the quality of the rest of your rig I'd be a bit taken back if you said you used the line6 for its vibe settings LOL
                          I still like the L6 MM because it's capable of creating bizarre sounds that I can't always tweeze out of regular analog FX. Sometimes, I'll want some trippy sound, and when I combine them with something on the DDL green pedal, I can come up with really spacey underwater sounds. I also combine the ADA and Choralflange with the delay. I actually use the Choralflange more for fast Leslie or machine gun type stuff, since I really don't use chorus.

One nice feature is the pink switch box. The first button brings both L6 pedals in/out of the loop. The right button mutes the signal straight to tuner.

My board looks all shiny and new there because I took that picture years ago when I assembled it that way. I haven't changed anything in years, just because I've sunk into everything it can do. I don't go crazy for new pedals because I feel I can get a lot of mileage out of that rig.
                          Last edited by Gearjoneser; 01-16-2008, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Thats cool man. I've got a bit of a bias against line6 I'll admit but often saw them as a nessecary evil if you will because there really wasn't anything else that could give me the tones I was after, or at least at a price I could stomach.

So as much as I really didn't love the DL4, it did what nothing else could do for me.

Fulltone Echoplex for example would be sweet but not at $1200 and not with the issues of a tape echo in general, know what I mean ?

Luckily today we've got so many options in tap tempo, bbd as well as vintage voiced digital pedals so Line6 isn't the only game in town. As I said in another thread, I just picked up the Boss Space Echo and its out of this world. I a/b'd it with the DL4 a bit yesterday and it just blows the Dl4 away in multitap mode and tape modes. It sounds and responds like the real deal where the DL4 always felt digital and like a model.

Again, not to diss your board or choices, it all comes down to whatever works, but check out some of the newer offerings as well. Space Echo, the new Duncan Shape Shifter trem etc just can take you out of this world in crazy sound generation and sound amazing while doing it to boot

Comment

Space Echo, the new Duncan Shape Shifter trem etc just can take you out of this world in crazy sound generation and sound amazing while doing it to boot
                              I've been thinking of moving some stuff around, mostly replacing the L6's, and the two you just mentioned are at the top of my wish list, as well as some of the killer Moog pedals.

As much as people diss modeling, when you run good guitars and pickups into them, out to quality tube amps, the sound of the L6's is actually very acceptable and authentic sounding.

Eventually, I may try that Space Echo, a Rotosphere, and Shape Shifter, to knock off the blue and green L6's.

Comment

Working...
                              X