This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Well ~ Lucky #13. Cavefish spills all

Right then. Somehow I got myself wrapped into this since Zerb was attacked by zombies and otherwise fell off the planet…

Gnarly.

A quick intro & background check… I’ve been playing guitar for geez, about 20 years now? Covered everything from big-band jazz to thrash metal but I love ‘rock’ and roots rock. There's currently 14 or so planks and 6 or 7 amps in the arsenal; ’73 strat & EJ; Lesters; Teles; Hamer superstrat with a Floyd; 5-string Melody Maker; modded JCM800; ’61 blonde Bandmaster head; an AC30 w/BlueBacks… almost three dozen pedals…

Then there’s the production thing. Recording. If I wasn’t doing that I’d probably be swinging a hammer or flipping burgers somewhere. I got into it full-time when I was 18… totally hooked. I dropped out of college and was interning at a studio that had/was hosting sessions with cats like Henry Rollins & White Zombie and even Luther Vandross, but that last one kinda sucked. I also learned a LOT from the producers who came through like Joe Baressi who’s since made records with Tool, Queens of the Stone Age & the Melvins… and Andy Wallace who’s mixed just about everything from Rage & Nirvana, System of a Down etc. There have also been a ton of hours logged in the brutal world of live production… mixing monitors for Living Colour, getting drunk with Dickey Betts & mixing a million bands that you've never heard of… good times.

I owned a commercial studio in East Rutherford NJ (9 miles from NYC) for several years and closed up shop in 2004 to "reset" myself after years of wedding band demos & even hosting informercials took their toll. These days I have a small mix room and do production work for original artists (mostly independent) & book studios for the big noise but have also been known to move a full-rig with $15,000 of microphones into a guest house.

Beyond that… I dig good beer & great vodka; sci-fi & horror movies; going a few hours with any of the Grand Theft Auto games and reading books. Currently have the "Slash" to get through after I finish the Dali Lama text I'm on now. I used to skateboard but haven't touched one in almost a dozen years. Been getting more into photography recently & yeah, even getting out of the cave to go hiking and enjoy that thing called the “outdoors” that I had heard so much about!

Let ‘er rip!
    Last edited by J Moose; 01-18-2008, 03:48 AM.
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Re: The Well ~ Lucky #13. Cavefish spills all

Thanks for the intro, J. No doubt you have a killer gig and countless stories to share!

Here are my questions... as with everything, you may choose not to answer.
    Have you read Michael Stavrou's 'Mixing With Your Mind'? What's your take on it?

What are your two most embarrasing moments?

Do you still get the same highs from skating as compared to when you just started?

What's your favourite main course meal?

What's your favourite desert?
    Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

how old of a guy are ya?

is vernon reid as awesome live as i think he would be!? he is the first guitar player that made me really "listen" to the guitar in music and start thinking about the music itself instead of just hearing it as something that's just on the radio and primarily listening to the vocals and lyrics...now don't get me wrong...once i was mesmerized by vernon...i listened even more intently to every part of the song/songs!
      Last edited by Hoss; 01-18-2008, 06:39 AM.
      Originally posted by jeremy
      God hates bad guitar tone
      GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
      AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
      EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
      Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

what's your take on high tech vs. Old School recording gear & methods?
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Tell us about the last time you felt truly, completely and utterly discouraged. How did you manage to get through it? Did you manage to get through it?

- Keith
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

All right, time for my two favorite questions:

Can you name one single band or artist that you think is obligatory listening for us kiddies?

and

Can you elaborate on an experience you've gained in your lifetime, that you think others could benefit from hearing about too?
            Last edited by Tor; 01-18-2008, 04:04 PM.
            My Soundclick

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker View Post
              Thanks for the intro, J. No doubt you have a killer gig and countless stories to share!

Here are my questions... as with everything, you may choose not to answer.
              Thank YOU!

I'm gonna try to answer all questiongs even if it's just a no comment 'cause I don't have an answer...

Have you read Michael Stavrou's 'Mixing With Your Mind'? What's your take on it?

What are your two most embarrasing moments?

Do you still get the same highs from skating as compared to when you just started?

What's your favourite main course meal?

What's your favourite desert?
              A) Nope. I haven't read the book. I firmly believe in the theory behind it though. You have to have it in your head to get it out. But like anything else there's also no substitute for experience... The studio is no different then learning how to play any other instrument.

B) Embarrassing moments... I knew this was coming! Can't say I've ever had one that I can share w/o violating the board policies (heh heh heh) but I've had a few awkward & strange ones... I'll come back to this when I have something good that isn't a novel.

C) I haven't touched a board in a long long while. Last time, or at least one of the last was right around when I graduated high school. I had already been accepted to music school and took a spill, couldn't play for a couple three weeks and decided that maybe it wasn't such a great idea to be a music major & skate... But yeah. I loved it. Never got old. Every once in a while I think about getting a deck again...

D) Fav meal? Hmmm... I'm a sucker for fried seafood and don't eat it all that often so I do enjoy it when I have it. Catfish, shrimp, alligator etc. Love good mexican food too. Anything spicy & hot. I've been known to send wings back because they weren't hot enough!

E) Not a big dessert or even a sugar guy. Shot of Jager and a coke? HAHA Seriously though, I almost never eat ice creme or candy. Maybe once a year I'll get a hot brownie sundae with the fudge & whipped creme. I do love the coke classic and the cherry coke... black cherry is great but I can almost never find it!

Keep 'em coming!
              J. 'Moose' Kahrs
              mixer|producer|recordist
              mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
                Ha ha , I guess the last well turned more into an audition than anything else.
                So , you said that folks don't pick their own nicknames.So the story behind moose would be , (and if ya try saying the size o' your johnson we're gonna assume you can't spell mouse )

Moose... well... it's not a great story but so it goes...

Years & years ago when I was incorporating the studio I needed to have three names picked out in case the first had already been takin. I was really digging my first choic, and had a second but I didn't have a good third option. On the day I'm meeting with the lawyer to sign the deal I STILL didn't have a third name, so while driving to the attorneys office I called my long-time (now-long ex!) girlfriend and said I needed a name... ANYTHING?! She was throwing out stuff left and right and said "Mad Moose"...

Yeahhhhhh... Mad Moose Recording. Sold. #1 with a bullet. Beat the pants off whatever my first choice was. Probably something lame...

Anywhoo... having been on usenet & the interknot for a long time, and running that studio people came to know me as the "mooseman" or whatever. It was pretty well cemented when after shutting down the studio I took a gig at the infamous Mercenary Audio in Foxboro MA and my email address was moose@mercenary. They already had a Jay and having two Jay's was gonna be a problem... they were calling me Moose before I even got there.

Yeah.

Someday I'll have to create a better story for all that...

BTW... J. is short for Joseph. A whole other story...
                J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                mixer|producer|recordist
                mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

Do you live in Massachusetts?
                  Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                  I am just jug the merlot

Comment

When are you going to sell me that bandmaster head?

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!
                    I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                      how old of a guy are ya?

is vernon reid as awesome live as i think he would be!? he is the first guitar player that made me really "listen" to the guitar in music and start thinking about the music itself instead of just hearing it as something that's just on the radio and primarily listening to the vocals and lyrics...now don't get me wrong...once i was mesmerized by vernon...i listened even more intently to every part of the song/songs!
                      Gonna turn 30 this year!

Working with Living Colour was great... one of those surreal moments where I can't believe I actually get paid for this! I've been a fan since the first record & love Vernons energy & exploration of sounds. They're all great people, super nice. Killer hang. Demanding though... like any good artist. A four piece band that chews up 40 inputs on a mixing console... insane! Right around the time 'Stain' was released was the first time I played, and shortly after, bought a Hamer which I still own. Never got into the EMG's though... lol

I worked with them in 2004...they played several dates in the greater NYC area which is home-ground so they were (ahem) "traveling light". He was appearing in Crate ads but brought out his original Dual Rectos...run in stereo. Here's a couple shots...

Vernons pedal board ~ laptop rig not shown

Dougs board & laptop/midi rig... note the PV midibass interface!

Showtime! I love this first shot

J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                      mixer|producer|recordist
                      mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
                        Do you live in Massachusetts?
                        Not anymore! I don't think I could even live in the state of Taxachusetts at this point if I wanted to. Some issues with unpaid parking excise tax and screwed up insurance/registration with the RMV when I moved out of state... Long story that I still don't understand... It took 'em maybe two years to catch up and send me a letter saying that my registration had been revoked. Well, no ****! It had expired and been replaced long before that...

I live in NJ now, just outside of Morristown which is about 30 minutes from NYC.

Originally posted by VIBROLUX View Post
                        When are you going to sell me that bandmaster head?

SERIOUSLY!!!!!!!!!!!

BUWHAHAHAHAHA

Never.

Christian has first dibs anyway.
                        Last edited by J Moose; 01-18-2008, 03:16 PM.
                        J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                        mixer|producer|recordist
                        mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

First, a joke....

Why do so many New Yorkers suffer from depression?

You'd be depressed too if the light at the end of the tunnel was New Jersey! LOL

Now for some gear questions. If you were forced to sell all of your guitar equipment on Ebay, then take that amount and re-buy a whole rig, which guitars/amps/FX would you buy with that money?

If you had a 200K budget to supply your own recording studio with your dream gear, which recording medium would you use, and which primary rack pieces and mics would be mandatory purchases?
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
                            I live in NJ now...
                            WHAT EXIT?

Sorry. I'm from Philly, so I have to ask that. It's in the bylaws.
                            Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                            Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Why do you always invent your own words for everything (Fools Tools, Interknot, Smackie, etc.)?
                              Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                              Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                              Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Working...
                              X