X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Well ~ Lucky #13. Cavefish spills all

Come on dudes...

I know ya'll gotta have MORE questions!

I've traveled the states, met, worked & partied with many an infamous musician, built a couple three "nice" studios and destroyed more guitars in the sake of "modding" then I have fingers...

Ask me anything...

I double triple dog dare ya!
    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
    mixer|producer|recordist
    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Did you inhale?
      I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

What is your take on Jamie Lynn's boyfriend dumping her and denying his fatherhood?
        Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
        https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
        Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose View Post
          I double triple dog dare ya!
          What's your favorite scene in A Christmas Story?
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Hey Moose, some cool questions and responses here. So here's my questions:-
            Who's the nastiest, most arrogant and biggest @ss you've worked with?
            Is their anyone you've refused to work with? If yes... why?
            Who would you most like to work with?
            So you've travelled, where is your all time favorite place to chill out?
            What do you drive?

Comment

Originally posted by VIBROLUX View Post
              Did you inhale?
              Always!
              J. 'Moose' Kahrs
              mixer|producer|recordist
              mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

Do you always have a really solid idea in your head when you start to mix, or do you screw around and experiment sometimes?

What is the most difficult instrument to record, in your opinion?
                Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                  What is your take on Jamie Lynn's boyfriend dumping her and denying his fatherhood?
                  That's the 16 y/o Spears kid right?

I don't really keep up with celebrity gossip, nor watch a lot of TV outside of the Discovery & History channels, Adult Swim and recently... I got hooked on Flavor of Love and 'I Love NY'

Tragic... I know.

heh heh

That whole family is pretty whack.

Maybe, probably it's all the mothers fault. At least from the outside, she seems like a fairly controlling person... pushing her kids to be "stars" and basically running their lives for them. No wonder they've rebelled and consciously, or maybe unconsciously tanking their respective careers. I also wonder why you never hear about their father in any of these news stories... Are they divorced? Is he dead??? Beats the krap outta me!
                  J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                  mixer|producer|recordist
                  mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
                    What's your favorite scene in A Christmas Story?
                    Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen it!

Christmas cartoons are the best though... The Grinch & all the Who's in Whoville... Opus the Penguin and a Wish for Wings that worked... Charlie Brown, Frosty...
                    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                    mixer|producer|recordist
                    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

Well, as you asked...

When I asked for 'controversial', I was think less 'vibrator in vocal booth' (great story, though), and more 'dirty tricks/personnel replacement used to make a record sound good'

For example, i know of a successful local band that have a rep for being kickass live, but when they hit the studio, they literally record the guitars one chord at a time...
                      Originally posted by Jolly
                      ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Hey Moose great Well bro!

What is the biggest "artist behaviour" that turns you nutts and brings you to beat the crap out of him/her ,quit the session ,kick him/her out of the studio ,the combination of the three or some more brutal/horror movie based actions?
                        A true story with some extra hot "spice" on it could make me really happy heheh
                        www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

I'm playing hooky on a mix right now... heh heh

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
                          Do you always have a really solid idea in your head when you start to mix, or do you screw around and experiment sometimes?
                          It sort of depends... but usually yeah, I have a decent idea of where I think it should go and try to get it to that point. If it's something I've tracked it's usually easier to get it there and I'll print/shape the tones during tracking with the finished thing in mind. IE; compress, EQ etc.

There's always some degree of experimentation & messing around in either case... And like a lot of good mixers I've got no problems pulling down the faders and starting again if things just aren't gelling...

If you've spent 17 hours inside the DAW tweaking stuff then you've lost perspective. Mixing is about balances...

What is the most difficult instrument to record, in your opinion?
                          The basic "rock" instruments aren't much of a challenge for me anymore... so probably horns & strings.

Aside from that, I'd say maybe bass with regards to compression & EQ... probably phase as well... But it's also the easiest instrument to bury inside a mix if it's less then steller.

Drums define the top & bottom frequency range of any recording and the overall sound. If the drums sound bad then it doesn't matter how good anything else is...

None if it is rocket science!
                          J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                          mixer|producer|recordist
                          mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

Originally posted by d1dsj View Post
                            Hey Moose, some cool questions and responses here. So here's my questions:-
                            Who's the nastiest, most arrogant and biggest @ss you've worked with?
                            Hmmm... quite possibly Harley Flanagan on that Cro-Mag/Harley's War EP from '01 or '02. I could say a lot of things here... that whole thing was a salvage job. Really bad sounds coming in... It was supposed to be released on Equal Vision, they funded it. Why wasn't it released on EV??? Don't think I'll get into it publicly... but suffice to say, he squandered away the $10k they gave him which should've been MORE then enough.

My favorite moment... when he owed me a few grand after mixing, I paid off the Brooklyn studio we had been using and he tried to steal the tapes. After that he was threating to sick his lawyer on me and sending bizzare emails saying he was gonna kick my ass. Go ahead dude, I've got 'yer signature here on the invoices!

In the end, I got paid, and he got his tapes. And I didn't get a credit. Not that I care... sounded kinda bad, but it did before it ever reached my hands.

Wu-Tang clan around '97 was another wunderful experience. I was on staff at the studio and quit a few weeks in... I haven't worked on hip-hop since.

Is their anyone you've refused to work with? If yes... why?
                            Not really! Well... Eric Johnson came though my old club a couple of times and I never took those gigs. We had a great rig, all Meyer stuff, 3-way split... separate transformer on the roof for stage/audio power... but there was this wicked & random buzz that we could never trace down and drove guys with single coils CRAZY. I didn't want to be "that" guy!!!

Who would you most like to work with?
                            Alive or dead? Alive..? I ran monitors for Chris Robinson once but I'd love to make a Black Crowes record. Maybe Metallica but have 'em kick ass instead of shins like they are now... Trey Anastasio and/or Phish would be rad too. I have been to The Barn...

So you've travelled, where is your all time favorite place to chill out?
                            There's a lotta great places. Montreal is always a blast... I love Phoenix AZ too. Almost moved there at one point... Anywhere in New England is a great retreat... Maine, VT, etc. It's nice to get away from everything civilized and "unplug" once in a while.

edit - one of the worst places I've ever been stuck was Woodstock, VA.

What do you drive?
                            An '05 Mazda 6, 4 cylinder with about 46,000 miles! Bought it new too... well, leased anyway...
                            Last edited by J Moose; 01-21-2008, 09:58 PM.
                            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                            mixer|producer|recordist
                            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

Did I miss this question?

Would you/have you sold out?

Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                                Did I miss this question?

Would you/have you sold out?

I've already sold out!

Just waiting for the check...
                                J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                                mixer|producer|recordist
                                mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Comment

Working...
                                X